Cylinder slap on cold/cooled startups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Back after a long absence. :)

So, we have about 32 trucks in the fleet now, all but 2 are owner operator- all are RAM! One of the two is giving me headaches.

My personal '17 2500 just replaced the NOX sensor. Expensive fix.
Replaced the front injector pump at 12,000 and again at 26,000 miles because they began to knock with a metal on metal sound- replacing it made the noise go away which at highway speeds was super loud.

Current problem- Truck has 60k on it. Since about 40k miles it's had a knock or what I'd call a cylinder slapping noise when the engine is cold or cooled down, under acceleration, until it reaches about 190. Then the noise goes away.

I'm thinking injector issue or possibly an exhaust leak. Any one ever experienced this?

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I finally got an answer for this- it was the CP front injector pump knocking - again- if you can believe that.

New pump and it's quiet again. Aren't these pumps supposed to hundreds of thousands of miles being that they're mechanically driven?

Last edited: