Damp floor under rear seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xFURIOUSJONESx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I’ve noticed that every time it rains, the interior of my truck smells musty and feels humid inside. Today I noticed the carpet under the backseat...near the far back was damp. I checked the third break light for any leaking and everything checks out there. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

It’s almost as if maybe water is getting kicked up from underneath the truck somewhere from the wet roads.

2018 Ram 1500. Bought brand new in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Rear window or 3rd brake light leaking. Try resealing the light first

OP
OP
xFURIOUSJONESx

xFURIOUSJONESx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Checked third brake light. No leakage there. I’ll check the rear window.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Dump a 5 gallon bucket of water onto the rear top of the cab and see where it comes out.

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
There was a factory seal kit added to my 2015 HD rear sliding window area. Not sure if this is where your leak is coming from. Have a 2nd person put a hose with no nozzle to let the water flow over these areas while you are inside with a bright flashlight.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It can also be the cab vent behind the rear seat. Mine leaked from there. It took the dealer 3 times to finally figure it out.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just to add to the above advice, it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly where the water is entering unless you drop the headliner.

I had this problem with my 2017 ram 1500 quad cab over a year ago. I put new gasket material on the 3rd BL, the dealer put on a brand new 3rd BL and in the end it wound up being from a shoddy aftermarket rear window install was the leak source.

This window was put in by the previous owner, so I had to pay a glass shop to remove and reseal. It was the glass shop that ultimately found the leak.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I’ve noticed that every time it rains, the interior of my truck smells musty and feels humid inside. Today I noticed the carpet under the backseat...near the far back was damp. I checked the third break light for any leaking and everything checks out there. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

It’s almost as if maybe water is getting kicked up from underneath the truck somewhere from the wet roads.

2018 Ram 1500. Bought brand new in 2018.

Hi @xFURIOUSJONESx - If you are unable to determine the cause of this with the assistance of fellow forum members, I suggest connecting with your local certified Ram dealer as they are in the best position to assist. Please know that we are available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.

Mark
RamCares

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can also be the cab vent behind the rear seat. Mine leaked from there. It took the dealer 3 times to finally figure it out.

^^^^
This was my problem. I had to take it in 4 different times for them to find and fix the issue.

Ended up getting all the carpet, mat, and insulation for the whole truck replaced. It was molded and smelled terrible inside my truck. Sad considering it wasn't even a year old when the problem started.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^^
This was my problem. I had to take it in 4 different times for them to find and fix the issue.

Ended up getting all the carpet, mat, and insulation for the whole truck replaced. It was molded and smelled terrible inside my truck. Sad considering it wasn't even a year old when the problem started.
Mine was a month old. So my carpet were not moldy yet. I caught it early. The dealership thought I was lying to them and wetting my own floors. It was so ridiculous. Then I caught them charging me for 8 qts of oil for a oil change. Hemis only take 7 quarts. That was the last time I ever took it to them for service. Imagine all the extra money a year this dealership is making of of charging for a extra quart of oil on every hemi oil change. Unreal.