Daytime Running Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happened to me. Luckily I caught it before I left.. Lm5 is what you want.

It did take me 3 dealers to find one that could do it.

When I asked about it, the dealer didn't know anything about it. Luckily I had the handy write-up explaining what they need to do. I guess it was partly my fault. I should have just shown the LM5 code on the sheet instead of all three codes. Hopefully they won't give me a hard time when I bring it in again, though I'm sure I'll have to pay for it again

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
You can.. but then it also dims your radio and gauges, turns on your plate lights, and taillights.

Having to turn them off when getting out of the truck and not having a dim radio was well worth the $40 it cost me to activate the drl.

I always run with my parking and fog lights on. DRL's would be nice on my '15 2500. My gauge and radio lights do not dim automatically when I turn the lights on.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
My 18 has the DRLs I think. Whenever the truck is remote started or running the LEDs in the blinker on the projector headlight is dim lit. Not like when it’s blinking for a turn signal, basically like manually activated the running lights. I hate it and wish I could turn them off honestly. You guys ever wonder what happens when your LEDs eventually burn out and you have to replace the entire headlight bc they are always on basically? Or pay to have the headlights opened and new boards put in? If I wanted them on i would turn my running lights on. Either way I’m not a fan, I miss my 14 that didn’t have it.

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 18 has the DRLs I think. Whenever the truck is remote started or running the LEDs in the blinker on the projector headlight is dim lit. Not like when it’s blinking for a turn signal, basically like manually activated the running lights. I hate it and wish I could turn them off honestly. You guys ever wonder what happens when your LEDs eventually burn out and you have to replace the entire headlight bc they are always on basically? Or pay to have the headlights opened and new boards put in? If I wanted them on i would turn my running lights on. Either way I’m not a fan, I miss my 14 that didn’t have it.
Those always come on when started I believe. Might be an option to turn them off with the menu in settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These can't be turned on or off in the UConnect

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None of the four dealers near me would/could do it, so I ended up buying the OBD Genie. Expensive, but works flawlessly. If you have the 8.4 UConnect screen, it will add an option for you to enable/disable. I have the 5.0 UConnect, and then it is just on and not switchable.

https://www.obdgenie.com/collection...ucts/chrysler-dodge-jeep-drl-programmer-c-drl

BTW, having DRL enabled and just switching lights on yourself is not the same thing, at least for the LED lights; the intensity when run as DRL is much higher than on regular switched mode - it's almost painful to the eyes.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None of the four dealers near me would/could do it, so I ended up buying the OBD Genie. Expensive, but works flawlessly. If you have the 8.4 UConnect screen, it will add an option for you to enable/disable. I have the 5.0 UConnect, and then it is just on and not switchable.

https://www.obdgenie.com/collection...ucts/chrysler-dodge-jeep-drl-programmer-c-drl

BTW, having DRL enabled and just switching lights on yourself is not the same thing, at least for the LED lights; the intensity when run as DRL is much higher than on regular switched mode - it's almost painful to the eyes.
Any idea if the Genie works if you already have DRLs activated but want it switched to the LEDs rather than high beam at reduced power?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no idea. The guys at OBDGenie are great to deal with; shoot them an email and they'll probably answer pretty quickly.

Any idea if the Genie works if you already have DRLs activated but want it switched to the LEDs rather than high beam at reduced power?

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no idea. The guys at OBDGenie are great to deal with; shoot them an email and they'll probably answer pretty quickly.
Thanks, I think I'll do so. I'm not getting anywhere with the dealerships and my current configuration drives me nuts haha!

DrkRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 crew cab Night Edition
Engine
5.7 hemi
i just bought the OBG too. I wanted the option in the menu to turn off if desired. Might be more expensive than the dealer but like i said I wanted the menu option.

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stopped by the local dealer this morning to see if they could turn on my 2017 RAM 1500 DRL's. They can (here it comes), But they have to contact Chrysler first to get permission. Ok, I can see that. It will void the warranty as it applies to the lights. What?

It's just a code!!! Am I missing something?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just bought the OBG too. I wanted the option in the menu to turn off if desired. Might be more expensive than the dealer but like i said I wanted the menu option.

let us know how it works out and if you get the ability to turn on and off on the screen menu

Last edited:

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After my dealer charged me $50 to enable the LM1 code, which I didn't want, I asked them to disable LM1 and in it place
enable LM5. I needed to give them the cheat sheet again, but they did it and now it's all good, and this time they charged me $32. Amber DRL's for $82!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After my dealer charged me $50 to enable the LM1 code, which I didn't want, I asked them to disable LM1 and in it place
enable LM5. I needed to give them the cheat sheet again, but they did it and now it's all good, and this time they charged me $32. Amber DRL's for $82!

For you guys that have the DRL activated....let’s say it’s dusk and you want to just turn on your parking lights and fogs, do the DRL lights turn off and revert to the dim parking lights or does it stay bright with fogs?

Not the full headlights now just the parking lights

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For you guys that have the DRL activated....let’s say it’s dusk and you want to just turn on your parking lights and fogs, do the DRL lights turn off and revert to the dim parking lights or does it stay bright with fogs?

When you turn on your lights the DRL's revert to normal light operation - they go to whatever brightness they would if you didn't have the DRL's at all