Dealer said No for transmission fluid change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
You seem to have that backasswards,lol. All i did was point out the pitfalls to your way of doing it,and you seemed to come slightly unglued over it ;)
So your 2 post is bolted down on a slanted driveway,thats the way you're making it sound now.I'm gonna hazard a guess,you're 2 post is bolted down on a flat piece of concrete inside a garage,so why would you be doing it outside on a slanted driveway,when you could just move the lifts arms out of your way,and do it,on the concrete your post is bolted to.
The only time the rear tires are spinning,is when you're inside the truck,the rest of the time you're under the truck,it's in park,if you're that worried about it falling and running over you,set the park brake when you get under it. If it idles rough enough to vibrate itself off a set of jackstands with the front wheels chocked,you have way more issues to worry about then doing a transmission service.
If you're that big to be worried about being crushed under the truck with the tires still on it,throw some dunage / blocking under the wheels,so they're only an inch or 2 off the dunage,that way if it does fall off a set of jackstands,it only falls an inch or so.
You got one thing right,there's many ways to skin a cat,so don't get all wound up,over somebody pointing out the pitfalls to your dull knife way of skinning the cat:Big Laugh:
BTW i'm guessing you used a floorjack to prop the transmission up after you unbolted it,and what makes you think that's safe to do,better chance of the transmission vibrating off the jack and breaking something done that way,just saying

Rick, I'm wondering if it would be better if there are two people to do a transmission fluid/filter change and fill on the eight speed ...

Does someone have to be in the cab running the transmission up to second gear/2000 rpms while someone "tops off" the fill?

Maybe, I've overlooked something on the drain/fill instructions. It doesn't read as an difficult job, but maybe, two people would make the task easy, idk?

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if it would be better if there are two people to do a transmission fluid/filter change and fill on the eight speed ...

Does someone have to be in the cab running the transmission up to second gear/2000 rpms while someone "tops off" fill?

Maybe, I've overlooked something on the drain/fill instructions. It doesn't read as an difficult job, but maybe, two people would make the task easy, idk?
That's actually what I did the 3 times I've had the pan off. Put a buddy up in the air watching the temp

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You truely are a sad person to keep this useless and utterly pointless convo going. I'm not even going to entertain this anymore. Later keyboard warrior
LOL you sure like to stretch things don't you,now i'm a keyboard warrior for pointing out the pitfalls to your way of doing it.What other names are going to start calling me,as you've already used "Bud" once :Big Laugh:
You sure got all wound up,because i didn't agree with you,or your way of doing things. All i'm doing is pointing out pitfalls in your thinking,and unbolting the transmission,and lifting it with a floorjack,while you run the truck up to 2,000rpm in 2nd,then step on the brakes,is going to have way more chances of the transmission slipping off the floorjack,and the floorjack breaking something on the transmission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Rick, I'm wondering if it would be better if there are two people to do a transmission fluid/filter change and fill on the eight speed ...

Does someone have to be in the cab running the transmission up to second gear/2000 rpms while someone "tops off" the fill?

Having 2 people would make it easier,as it'd save having to crawl in and out of the cab,while the back tires are in the air,i'm short enough,i need a milk crate to crawl into the cab when the rear tires are roughly 9" in the air.
The only downside is finding that extra person,lol

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL you sure like to stretch things don't you,now i'm a keyboard warrior for pointing out the pitfalls to your way of doing it.What other names are going to start calling me,as you've already used "Bud" once :Big Laugh:
You sure got all wound up,because i didn't agree with you,or your way of doing things. All i'm doing is pointing out pitfalls in your thinking,and unbolting the transmission,and lifting it with a floorjack,while you run the truck up to 2,000rpm in 2nd,then step on the brakes,is going to have way more chances of the transmission slipping off the floorjack,and the floorjack breaking something on the transmission.
That's why if you know anybody with this style lift, beg them if you must. It's worth it's weight in gold. Solid and safe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225_213846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225_213846_Gallery.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 37

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
That was the style of drive on lift i was referring to,that has the ability to raise the rear diff off the ramps.

Well, when I get ready to do my HEMI's tranny, I'll be on my back with the truck on jackstands and hope that my neighbor is sober enough to know which is the gas and break peddle and can sensibly read the rpm gauge ... and that's if he isn't passed out.

Thinking about it, I'll have to rely on someone else.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, big backyard mechanic tip for those doing this...have a cold wet towel as you're guaranteed to burn your hands on the x pipe. The big boy v8 heats that exhaust pipe really quick.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well, when I get ready to do my HEMI's tranny, I'll be on my back with the truck on jackstands and hope that my neighbor is sober enough to know which is the gas and break peddle and can sensibly read the rpm gauge ... and that's if he isn't passed out.

In that case,i'd trust myself more. :waytogo: You're only in and out of the cab basically once,as most of the procedure is all done in 1 step,while you're inside the truck,then you get out and check the level.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Actually, when you're running the truck through the gears, there's no need to be under the truck. But you WILL have to be under the truck to do the final fill/level check. The engine MUST be running whenever the fill plug is out. Never pull the fill plug with the engine off.

It's good practice though to crack the fill plug loose as the first step to ensure that it can be removed.

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, big backyard mechanic tip for those doing this...have a cold wet towel as you're guaranteed to burn your hands on the x pipe. The big boy v8 heats that exhaust pipe really quick.
Done that a few times. That's why before I did my long tubes I had a aftermarket ypipe put in and I had the guy keep it away from the fill plug. This little guy was also a huge help in that tight spot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225_220847_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225_220847_Gallery.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 28

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
In that case,i'd trust myself more. :waytogo: You're only in and out of the cab basically once,as most of the procedure is all done in 1 step,while you're inside the truck,then you get out and check the level.

Yep, I'm gonna do the tranny fluid/filter/PPE pan change myself ... that is, if I keep the truck.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done that a few times. That's why before I did my long tubes I had a aftermarket ypipe put in and I had the guy keep it away from the fill plug. This little guy was also a huge help in that tight spot
Yeap. That cross pipe burned me once, and never again.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's a neat little allen key,i like it,where did you find it.
I have a few sets similiar to these licking around in metric and SAE,and they also work good for pulling the fill plug.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37