Dealer states 2019 Dodge Laramie needs differential cleaned at 26K miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speck45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all I saw that someone else posted a similar situation with their dealer. Today I was told it was needed at the cost of $539.00 plus charge for oil change & inspection. So now I have to stop them before they do the work. Last year for inspection my truck was in with less than 20K miles they charged me $250.00 and said I needed my air cleaner blown out. I believed them so I went for it. I thought the car was new enough though that it shouldn't need any things other than oil change and inspection. I don't work on my cars/trucks anymore. So, these dealers can pull the wool over my eyes and others with no guilt. I've always wondered if they weren't on the up and up last time (old dealer). But, the dealer is under new ownership now so I thought I could trust them this time, but I think not.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dump that dealer in a heartbeat man and go elsewhere. Just because the ownership has changed doesn't mean the shop management has.

45k on my 2019 and the only service my dealer has recommended to me on top of the usual oil change and tire rotation was replacing the cabin air filter, which was done and did make a difference. You shouldn't need any transmission or differential anything at 26k miles, that's total BS to get your money.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There would be no harm with changing your diff fluid if you felt it warranted... but at 26k it isn't necessary yet. Ram calls for every 50k-60k miles I believe.

Even then.... the cost of differential fluid (even if you bought a new gasket) is less than $150 and maybe an hr of your time. Sounds like a dealer upsell.

If you want to play a game with them, open your owner's manual and find the recommended fluid change intervals. They're in there. Then ask the dealer to show you in the manual where Ram calls for a diff service at 26k miles. See what they tell you. Then leave.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The stealership where my wife wants to change the differential oil at 40k kms because it’s black. She bought the maintenance pkg so I wouldn’t have do the oil change etc.they wanted 480cad. When I questioned the people doing the oil change about it I got a blank stare. So then I asked them what oil they would use if I brought them my pw for an oil change they said the oil that’s in the dispenser. So what kind is that again blank stare. So I said a pw needs 0-40 pennzoil pure premium. Oh with blank stare. Raggedy a$$t old fart making us look stupid what do you want for minimum wage. Hence why I do my own service. Plus I have a blue driver so no bs about what needs to be fixed.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought a Lifetime MaxCare Warranty 10 years ago when I bought my truck and quickly established with the dealer than unless it's specified in the manual don't waste both our time trying to push their BS on me.

Just ask them to point out in the manual where this service is recommended by the manufacturer and they'll **** quickly.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Why do people keep asking this truly dumb question. The manual has a schedule right in it. How hard is it to figure out that most anything the dealer is recommending over and above as regular maintenance is a pure screw job designed to separate you from your money.

Warranty or no, search till you can find a dealer you can trust. I have 2 great ones I trust and use them but I also have 2 great independents. Good dealers are really hard to find, so find a quality independent and keep good records if you don't want to or can't do the work yourself. If the dealer or anyone else will screw you for $100 bucks on an air filter or diff fluid change they will massively screw you in larger jobs later. NEVER LET A THIEF HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR WALLET.

Grow a backbone, ream out the a$$hat that is trying to steal your money. Post negative reviews on Google and Dealer Rater, tell everyone you meet what a bunch of thieves these turds are.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's no need to pull the diff cover (unless you see something in the fluid you drain out), just drain it using the drain plug and refill using the fill plug.
It's easier than changing the engine oil.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

I agree on finding a new dealer.

Red

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That dealer and their service department is as crooked as they come. You should NEVER RETURN to that dealer. You should share the name as any place that shady needs to be exposed,so as to save others from being ripped off. Whats the name and location.

zrock

Reaction score
Actually it is a good time to do the FIRST service on the diff early to get all the crap from break in out of their. After that go with factory recommendation's.. You would be surprised how much crap is in the diff from break in..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually it is a good time to do the FIRST service on the diff early to get all the crap from break in out of their. After that go with factory recommendation's.. You would be surprised how much crap is in the diff from break in..
Agreed, I actually change mine every 2 years since I tow some. Bit overkill, but it's soooo easy to do hahaha

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I do my own too but it’s no reason for the dealership to try to take advantage of my missus. She may not be the smartest person but she’s smart enough to know when she’s getting sc$&@ed.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always remember that these are sales people that always want to sell you something regardless of whether you need it or not. That’s why it’s always good to be informed as it relates to your vehicle needs.
Dealers will always offer services that you might not necessarily need but will definitely assist with your vehicle upkeep.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree, I change out the diff and transfer case fluids around 10k miles on a new car to get out any break in fluid. OP's dealer still sounds like typical dealer scam though.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to be changing the rear diff fluid on my 2019 2500 6.4. I just purchased the banks rear diff cover and fluid around Thanksgiving when it was 25% off I believe. It will make changing it much easier the next time since the banks cover has a drain plug.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just changed mine and it was easy even without the plug (though I will be upgrading eventually).

I think all in I might have had around an hour of my time into it with removing the bolts, draining, cleaning, inspecting, and reinstalling the cover being careful not to pinch the reusable gasket. It took a little over 3 qts and cost about $70.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I agree that for some of us OCD A$al types, an early change can make sense but this DEALER IS NOT DOING IT FOR THE CUSTOMER'S GOOD. THIS IS ALL ABOUT GRABing THEM FOR AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU CAN LIE THEM INTO SPENDING. Avoid these kinds of thieves at all costs.

Like I said before, never give a thief access to your wallet.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you want to play a game with them, open your owner's manual and find the recommended fluid change intervals. They're in there. Then ask the dealer to show you in the manual where Ram calls for a diff service at 26k miles. See what they tell you.
I did that once. I had my Ram in for a recall and they recommended an oil change. Truck was 8 months old and had 6K on it. Diesel, so Ram spec is yearly/15K. When I told the service guy that he said "Well, our mechanics recommend them sooner." I just laughed at the guy and said no.