Dealer states 2019 Dodge Laramie needs differential cleaned at 26K miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Hi all I saw that someone else posted a similar situation with their dealer. Today I was told it was needed at the cost of $539.00 plus charge for oil change & inspection. So now I have to stop them before they do the work. Last year for inspection my truck was in with less than 20K miles they charged me $250.00 and said I needed my air cleaner blown out. I believed them so I went for it. I thought the car was new enough though that it shouldn't need any things other than oil change and inspection. I don't work on my cars/trucks anymore. So, these dealers can pull the wool over my eyes and others with no guilt. I've always wondered if they weren't on the up and up last time (old dealer). But, the dealer is under new ownership now so I thought I could trust them this time, but I think not.

Let everyone here know the name of the dealer, so those in that area can stay
far away. Shame them, that is really BS.
The bad part is you got snookered, and so will 90% of those they try to fleece.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do a drain/refill at 1,000 miles (to remove manufacturing fines) and then every 30k (or after every trip with a water crossing where water is over the axle - Power Wagon). Similar, 5k on the OCI regardless of oil life indicator.

There would be a lot few maintenance issues and complaints if folks would simply be proactive rather than do the minimum. I think much of this is because of increased dealer pricing. But this is a $50 process in your driveway. FWIW, I change out the gasket every-other change (no drain plug on HD).

So while the price is exorbitant, the advice isn't. YMMV.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Hi all I saw that someone else posted a similar situation with their dealer. Today I was told it was needed at the cost of $539.00 plus charge for oil change & inspection. So now I have to stop them before they do the work. Last year for inspection my truck was in with less than 20K miles they charged me $250.00 and said I needed my air cleaner blown out. I believed them so I went for it. I thought the car was new enough though that it shouldn't need any things other than oil change and inspection. I don't work on my cars/trucks anymore. So, these dealers can pull the wool over my eyes and others with no guilt. I've always wondered if they weren't on the up and up last time (old dealer). But, the dealer is under new ownership now so I thought I could trust them this time, but I think not.
Go exactly by the Owners manual. It says nothing of the sort. My 17 was not required to change the axles, transfer case and transmission until 120,000. I now have 144,+++ on my 17 RAM. I have an Mopar extended warranty for unlimited miles and 7 years. I am on my last year, and I have kept it by the book. Its been the best vehicle we have ever owned!

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The last time I was at my local stealer for some warranty work they said I needed new brake pads. Told them I'd look at 'em when I get home. They were fine, and lasted another 2 years.

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Food for thought; Whenever you change a fluid with a pan or cover, consider cleaning it good with brake clean and painting it with RED engine paint. It will be dry enough within a few hours in the sun. And, you can even use a sharpie to write the date and mileage in the corner of the new red paint and your oil and fuel filters. And, Sharpie ink rubs off with brake clean and a piece of terry cloth over your finger. mjc

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait! They said the differential needed cleaning??!! The outside or the inside? :p

There is this trend around here with tire, oil change, and exhaust shops to prescribe "cleaning" on brakes, cats, and diffs. While there might actually be a necessity to do this for a specific problem, it is not a straight maintenance requirement. These are 'upsells.'

As others have suggested, I would decline that service.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 103194 miles.

Lubeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Synthetic gear oil is supposed to be good for 500,000 miles in HD class 8 trucks. Unless it’s been submerged or there’s an obvious leak/problem, I wouldn’t touch it until it has 100,000 miles.

horace33

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 dodge 18LARAMIE
Engine
318 5.7
If a dealership is milking you walk, glance @ the suggested service in the owners manual & pay attn to service contracts requirements & above all use your common sense. Is the advisor telling or suggesting ask him if you can speak w/ the dealer principal, there may be some backing up!! Too many years doing this business legitimately

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They come up with all kinds of crap. Blowing out the filter will damage it. Check it yourself it is easy even for a rookie. Another favorite is the cabin filter if you even have one. I write the date and mileage on the air and cabin filters when I change them.
As said, the diff is in the maintenance part of the owners manual. Some people never change it and see 200,000 miles. I like to change it by the book or a little sooner.

Another favorite are the brakes and battery. Easy money. Really, I have to pull the wheels to check the brake pads. 3 times I was told I needed pads. I pulled the wheels and they were at least half way to new. I get 75,000 to 100,000 miles out of pads. I only replace (so thin can't resurface anymore) rotors it they are noticeably warped, once in 200,000 miles. Of course if you do a lot of stop and go driving or "rest" you foot on the brake pedal you will need both sooner.

Another is decarbonization. If they do not take the plenum off how can they tell. Injector cleaning? If it is running well, BS. Real injector cleaning involves taking them out, very expensive. I asked about the "decarbonization" since it was not in the maintenance schedule. Quote, "There was a service bulletin on it. Me, "Let me see it." Crickets.

I have had them tell me I needed a service I just had done at that same dealership the last time in. When I questioned it, I was told, oh, they go by mileage. ****, check the damn computer record. It will show what all I have had done at any MOPAR dealer over the course of 220,000 miles.

BTW, it is still under the Max Care Lifetime contract. So, $100 covers almost all legitimate repairs other than wear and tear or maintenance. That is no longer offered.

I keep a record (date, mileage, and cost) of ALL service, repairs, add ons, even when I wash and wax my vehicles. I still do it by my own hand.

I have one service writer I almost trust. He knows not to BS me. The others get a little ruffled when I question them or, God forbid, I show them my records.

Sorry about the rant. I cannot stand for folks to be f'ed over. I am a son of a widow who never put up with a service station (the name in those days) that tried to feed her BS. Her parents owned an interstate trucking company so she made it a point of knowing vehicles. My step dad was very knowledgeable of cars and especially scams. He was an army NCO.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Fwiw, my dealer lists a "4WD Service" that is a xfer case and front/rear diff fluid swaps and it was around $400 a few years ago. I did it to keep my warranty intact and thought that was a pretty fair price.

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well I didn't need to change my diff oil but it's cheap, so after 4 1/2 years and 70,000 miles I did.
But the dealer wanted me to change it at about 27,000 miles because their schedule says so, I just explained that their schedule is wrong because they are working on extreme conditions. I also change transmission oil and filters every 35,000 miles but that's just me.
Dealerships also say they need to grease the steering joints but they are sealed "oh we inspect them" but thats not in the book, they did even know where the cardan joint was when I asked did they greased the front end ( Tech quoted there are no grease joints).
You guys are lucky in America, I am here in Aus and Parts are dear as poison and they (Dealers) don't have them.
Just to give some example Rear Pads $386 dollars none available , Front Pads $448 none available, Air filter for a 2500 Cummins $127.00 none available. I bought F/R for $138.00 delivered and expressed an air filter at $153.00 and Dealers still try to bleed us on servicing at $185.00 hr labor rate.

Lakesofsun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2019 rear end blew up at 20 miles. Dealer replaced no charge

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Again, tell us the name of the dealer who is trying to fleece you.

They need the publicity.........

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well I didn't need to change my diff oil but it's cheap, so after 4 1/2 years and 70,000 miles I did.
But the dealer wanted me to change it at about 27,000 miles because their schedule says so, I just explained that their schedule is wrong because they are working on extreme conditions. I also change transmission oil and filters every 35,000 miles but that's just me.
Dealerships also say they need to grease the steering joints but they are sealed "oh we inspect them" but thats not in the book, they did even know where the cardan joint was when I asked did they greased the front end ( Tech quoted there are no grease joints).
You guys are lucky in America, I am here in Aus and Parts are dear as poison and they (Dealers) don't have them.
Just to give some example Rear Pads $386 dollars none available , Front Pads $448 none available, Air filter for a 2500 Cummins $127.00 none available. I bought F/R for $138.00 delivered and expressed an air filter at $153.00 and Dealers still try to bleed us on servicing at $185.00 hr labor rate.
$185. hour is not over the top at all here its $200 hour and up...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357