Dealership charging labor on warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is currently at the dealer for some repairs, some of which are covered under warranty. One issue my truck is having is a high-pitched ringing sound which I believe is related to the drivetrain (I have a thread about it). My truck still has the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Obviously the service center will have to do some diagnostic work to determine what the cause of this sound is. So far they have said that they think it's being caused by a loose spare tire, but I highly doubt this. Here's my question - if this problem turns out to be drivetrain related, can they still charge me a diagnostic fee/for labor, or should the cost of the entire process be covered under the warranty?

hablox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe that if the problem turns out to be drive train related and your truck is still under the original factory warranty, there will be no labor charges incurred.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Mine had diagnostic work done under the 5/100 for tranny issue. They charged me for the diagnostic. They said if there was issues thae charges would be covered. Of course everything was “normal” No issues since then. I think I was charged $50 for diagnostic.

justintaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
some dealers will charge for the diagnostic, some will not. if it is indeed an issue with the powertrain the dealership should cover it. if there is a NFF (no fault found) someone has to pay for the mechanics time if chrysler wont..

dont let your truck leave without it being found. if they say no faults you have to pay to diagnose. but if they find a loose bolt on your flux capacitor and that caused the issue. you get it all covered under warranty. just words from experience

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Not uncommon to charge a diagnostic fee upfront and then waive it if it turns out to be actually warranty related.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like dealership BS to me... if its still under warranty, you shouldnt be getting charged for anything. The dealer can comp it so the tech gets paid.
I`ve been to the dealer MANY MANY times for weird things while still under warranty, never once got charged whether they found anything or not.
As soon as my warranty periods were up on any of my vehicles, suddenly i would feel my sphincter lock shut because i knew they were gonna bend me over the counter.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealer tried that crap of a "diagnostic fee" I told them they fix it under warranty or I go to a different dealer, suddenly they no longer try to make me pay diagnostics up front. Think sometimes you just have to be tougher on them, not mean or nasty but tough!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My truck is currently at the dealer for some repairs, some of which are covered under warranty. One issue my truck is having is a high-pitched ringing sound which I believe is related to the drivetrain (I have a thread about it). My truck still has the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Obviously the service center will have to do some diagnostic work to determine what the cause of this sound is. So far they have said that they think it's being caused by a loose spare tire, but I highly doubt this. Here's my question - if this problem turns out to be drivetrain related, can they still charge me a diagnostic fee/for labor, or should the cost of the entire process be covered under the warranty?

In my experience it’s been covered While under warranty. Usually if it’s not covered there is a fee. Going rate is $100 in my area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If I went in expecting warranty coverage and the appointment was set up as such, my Ram dealer would call first before doing work with out of pocket cost. It's the same across the board for any make/model this mega chain dealership sells/services.

I do remember years ago, other dealers laying that possibility of a diagnostic fee on you upfront.

Either way I get it. Why would you expect a business to perform a service for you for free?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would only expect to pay a diagnostic fee if it was for the extended warranty, and then only if its' due to a non- covered part. As for the 3-36 warranty, No way do I agree to pay anything.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a completely stock Laramie with 16k miles on it. I have yet to have any issues that warrant a trip to the dealer (knock on wood), but if I do, I’ll be damned if I’m paying any fees within the 36k mile warranty.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a completely stock Laramie with 16k miles on it. I have yet to have any issues that warrant a trip to the dealer (knock on wood), but if I do, I’ll be damned if I’m paying any fees within the 36k mile warranty.

Key words, "completely stock". You run á tune, add non stock parts ECT, you run the risk of voiding all or parts of the warranty.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Key words, "completely stock". You run á tune, add non stock parts ECT, you run the risk of voiding all or parts of the warranty.
Very true. Any mods I decide to make won’t be made until after the warranty expires for this exact reason.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NO, any diagnostic work in an effort to resolve the problem IS cover under the warrantee, only work that is separate from the item under warrantee can they charge for.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very true. Any mods I decide to make won’t be made until after the warranty expires for this exact reason.
I hope you like buying the "exact original OEM" tires & brake parts for your truck until the warranty expires. A local dealer here, denied a warranty claim (FCA backed up the dealer) because a guy let the dealer put 10 ply winter tires on his 1500 ram truck and it led to (owner thinking) that it blew out his 2 front shocks due to the harshness of the 10 ply tires being put on a light duty suspension. And the dealer was the ones who suggested and installed the 10 ply tires. We have very bad roads here, full of very deep pot holes... i think that the tires might have been ok if the roads were better. I`m betting the harsh 10 ply tires beat his suspension to death causing the shocks to blow out... but thats just my own opinion.

Personally, i would fight them on it if it were me... and i`m betting he will. He has the bill of sale from them for the tires that THE DEALER installed. If i were that dealer, i would replace the shocks and put the correct tires on, on my dime, and keep a good paying customer happy. The free set of OEM replacement shocks would be alot cheaper than fighting a court battle that the dealer cant win. Many dealers are bait & switch artist`s, right from the front door out to the back door! Most people don`t even know that they are getting the screws put to them by many dealers out there.

Ronald R once said, TRUST but VERIFY!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Docbull