Decided to cut coils, how do I do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been asking around over the past few weeks about lowering the rear end of my truck a couple inches and everyone has been a tremendous help! Thanks for all the information.

Anyways, I have decided to cut my rear coils (to save $300-$400) instead of buying stock coils with a 3" block. I have a family member who has a shop to do all the stuff (and he knows a bunch about trucks/cars) but I would like to go there with all the knowledge I need before attempting to cut them.

-Which part of the coil do I cut? They sit on little platforms (idk what they're called) and get tighter and more compact the more they go up. Pics: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

-Do I need to modify the platforms which they sit on?

-How much do I cut? I want to drop it 2" (2010 Ram 1500 QC, 4x4 Big Horn)

Those are all the questions I have for now, but if you have any more information on doing it, please feel free to let me know to make this process as painless as possible.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys, I'm a new Ram owner and I'm not familiar with anything on the trucks and you guys have been a YUGE help.

EDIT: If you need any more pictures of anything under the truck, let me know and I'll get them ASAP.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry, can't help. You might want to post this in the LOWERed section...

Best,

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You cant cut them and have them line up right i just went thru this with mine if u cut then the spring lines up crooked on top and wont seat. Buy some factory 2"" drop springs is better

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^i concur.

Definetley look into lowering springs vice cutting yours.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Absolutely nothing wrong with cutting your rear springs, just don't get carried away!

Cut the top, not the bottom. I cut 1.5 coils off an achieved 1.75" drop. I couldn't notice any difference in ride quality.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
D

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You cant cut them and have them line up right i just went thru this with mine if u cut then the spring lines up crooked on top and wont seat. Buy some factory 2"" drop springs is better

I don't have factory coils on there. They're aftermarket and I don't which brand/size they are. Most likely around a 4" raise in the coils, no blocks.

OP
OP
D

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or if anyone could point me to a shop/someone who might sell coils that have a 3" ride height added to them, that would work also.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They are included when you buy one of their lifts.. You pick a 3" or 5" spring.

So in other words, call them and get the pricing because they wont list every item separatly.

IMO

OP
OP
D

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Follow up with any prices/information would be cool.

IMO

BDS only offers the rear suspension assembly which includes coils and shocks ($450) and can only be bought from a certified retailer. It's not exactly what I was looking for since I only need the rear coils and not the whole assembly so I'm going to keep looking around for some stock rear coils.

OP
OP
D

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And sorry for the delayed response, I forgot to get back here and post what they had said.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
depending on how much you remove from a spring it WILL increase the spring rate. Whether or not you can live with a possibly choppy ride is all up to you.

OP
OP
D

ders808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
depending on how much you remove from a spring it WILL increase the spring rate. Whether or not you can live with a possibly choppy ride is all up to you.

Yeah, I've actually opted out from cutting them. I'm just trying to find a company that sells rear coils only since I already have RCX shocks.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you cut springs, they get stiffer BY ALOT. so I wouldnt do it. I did it once a while back on my old BDS spring as an experiment and it turned out to be extremely stiff.. almost unbearable.