Deciding on Shocks to Replace Air Suspension | Offroader - Ram Rebel | Hot Weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dakamawy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there,

So I've been lurking here for some time trying to find an answer, but nothing so far.

So I live in the Middle East (weather is pretty hot with the summers averaging 40-45 C) and have a 2017 Ram Rebel (with Air Ride/ Air Suspension). I offroad quite a lot (desert dune bashing and crossing) and I am looking to delete my air suspension and install some traditional system with a lift of between 2-2.5 in because I need the ground clearance to go over crests and dunes.

Based on my research, I have come down to either; (i) Bilsteins 6112 (front) and 5160 (rear) or (ii) Fox 2.0s.

To be honest, I am quite perplexed as I do not have the technical or mechanical understanding of suspensions and wanted some help choosing the best option. Can I get your assistance in choosing the most suitable?

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey there,

So I've been lurking here for some time trying to find an answer, but nothing so far.

So I live in the Middle East (weather is pretty hot with the summers averaging 40-45 C) and have a 2017 Ram Rebel (with Air Ride/ Air Suspension). I offroad quite a lot (desert dune bashing and crossing) and I am looking to delete my air suspension and install some traditional system with a lift of between 2-2.5 in because I need the ground clearance to go over crests and dunes.

Based on my research, I have come down to either; (i) Bilsteins 6112 (front) and 5160 (rear) or (ii) Fox 2.0s.

To be honest, I am quite perplexed as I do not have the technical or mechanical understanding of suspensions and wanted some help choosing the best option. Can I get your assistance in choosing the most suitable?
If you wanna go even cheaper, but a full suspension, you can go with the Ironman stage 2, its a full delete, you will just need alfa obd, and some knowledge on the tablet, i was able to delete my airride back in march with the Ironman, too my knowledge, Im the first to do so. Spoke to Wags, at Ironman 4x4 America, and gave him the technical details at Overland Expo flagstaff.
The Ironman front coils are an Extended travel, so with the proper LCA you can utilize all of that, ive also deleted my front sway, and it does awesome on the freeway at higher speeds!
Ive included some photos of how it sits.
(I do need some overload springs in the rear)
Super easy install, took me about 3 hours in total, hardest part is taking out the top shock bolt for the rear driver side

Attachments

• 71184531212__3E4AADCF-748D-4DF3-AAA6-A5F0A2AF9CCA.jpeg
    71184531212__3E4AADCF-748D-4DF3-AAA6-A5F0A2AF9CCA.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2128.jpeg
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2131.jpeg
    IMG_2131.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2129.jpeg
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 16

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also forgot the rear spring isolators. You can find them at your dealer, but if they are anything like Cali dealers, they will keep trying to search for the part under your VIN (which it wont come up because they arent on airride)

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you wanna go even cheaper, but a full suspension, you can go with the Ironman stage 2, its a full delete, you will just need alfa obd, and some knowledge on the tablet, i was able to delete my airride back in march with the Ironman, too my knowledge, Im the first to do so. Spoke to Wags, at Ironman 4x4 America, and gave him the technical details at Overland Expo flagstaff.
The Ironman front coils are an Extended travel, so with the proper LCA you can utilize all of that, ive also deleted my front sway, and it does awesome on the freeway at higher speeds!
Ive included some photos of how it sits.
(I do need some overload springs in the rear)
Super easy install, took me about 3 hours in total, hardest part is taking out the top shock bolt for the rear driver side

How you liking the Ironman setup? Any issues? Ride quality? Thanks

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How you liking the Ironman setup? Any issues? Ride quality? Thanks
Love the quality, i opted for the extended travel options, i with i was able to get a read overload spring, i just got some timbrens for now, they ride so well how they come from ironman, i took the front sway off and it feels like i never removed it! Definitely recommend

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 7