Dee Zee Tailgate Assist issues w/ video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDarkness03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put one of these on my truck yesterday (DZ43301). I followed the instructions correctly and everything installed smoothly, but I'm having some issues with the operation and wanted to know if any of this was normal.

1) The shock is very loud when lowering the tailgate, i thought it was supposed to be a quiet operation? not sure if its normal...

2) The cable clamp rubs on the inside of the tailgate and already chewed through the Mylar sheet they provided.

3) It seems like the shock is supporting the weight of the tailgate on that side and the cable is no longer supporting it? The passenger side is taught while the driver side has slack. Maybe for some reason my cable is stretched on that side?

Here's a short video of the operation, you can see what I'm talking about. Not sure if i did something wrong or I have a bad kit? :Good or Bad:

th_20160727_094604_zpszxsghaqi.jpg

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a little noise, I wouldn't really call it loud thought. Make sure the bracket installed on the inner fender by the light is straight. If not you can loosen it and rotate toward the tailgate to get a little more extension out of the cable.
For the rubbing, mine doesn't do that, but if you move the provided clamp up or down it will move it away from the gate or fender v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same tailgate assist here but I don' have issue like that.

kTIzCNt.jpg

Can you try put back the limiter minus the round washer and bent the other side like the image below(arrow)

79ddxPE.jpg

[yt]vWiFFVNn880[/yt]

Note:
1.) I don't have the Mylar Sheet(Missing).
2.) Noise at the end is coming from my loosen Tail Gate Ladder.

From Youtube, shock sounds seems normal
https://youtu.be/aRyYnZAapW0?t=834

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated you may need to move the top bracket. Make sure it is mounted strait up and down to give your cable less play. This also may help the cable quit rubbing the tailgate. I have the exact same system and it doesn't rub at all. My shock was also a little noisey at first but has quieted down alot with use.

OP
OP
T

TheDarkness03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a little noise, I wouldn't really call it loud thought. Make sure the bracket installed on the inner fender by the light is straight. If not you can loosen it and rotate toward the tailgate to get a little more extension out of the cable.
For the rubbing, mine doesn't do that, but if you move the provided clamp up or down it will move it away from the gate or fender v

i played with the clamp, couldnt really find a sweet spot to make it stop rubbing :(

Can you try put back the limiter minus the round washer and bent the other side like the image below(arrow)

79ddxPE.jpg

a little confused about what that will do? just give the cable less motion?

As stated you may need to move the top bracket. Make sure it is mounted strait up and down to give your cable less play. This also may help the cable quit rubbing the tailgate. I have the exact same system and it doesn't rub at all. My shock was also a little noisey at first but has quieted down alot with use.

I loosened the top mount and discovered that the cable and shock both arent supporting any of the weight, and all the weight seems to be on the passenger side cable, made no difference adjusting it :confused: Almost seems like the cable on the other side is shorter?

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try switching the two cables. While they are off compare them to see if you have different sizes. Did you notice the cable difference before install by any chance?

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You have a bad shock. call/email them they will send you a new one.

Mine is so smooth and takes 3 times longer to open and doesn't slam.

Take that black thing off the cable too. Worthless.

OP
OP
T

TheDarkness03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try switching the two cables. While they are off compare them to see if you have different sizes. Did you notice the cable difference before install by any chance?

I didn't even look for it, I'm gonna give this a try.

You have a bad shock. call/email them they will send you a new one.

Mine is so smooth and takes 3 times longer to open and doesn't slam.

Take that black thing off the cable too. Worthless.

Emailed them 2 days ago with no reply....guess I'm gonna have to call them...

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a little confused about what that will do? just give the cable less motion?
Nope, I only remove the round tight washer and bent the limiter(outer side), still have a good extra play.

[yt]z3C36IMZSkY[/yt]

The purpose is to prevent scratches of the tail gate side and cable remain on center.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Now I am rethinking it.

I wouldn't be to concerned about getting one. I have never heard of anyone else having similar issues. There is obviously something else going on in this case. I installed mine in about 15 minutes like most everyone else and it works great. It's a simple design that works well.

T-Revs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed this as well on my truck, only been a week since its on. No signs of rubbing like that yet. Cable is even tight on drivers side. Did you use the clear tape provided? It is to prevent damage to paint. Was there any accidents?

MaxSteelRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm in the garage right now and failing an install. Should the bearings in the install kit freely move? Mine are basically are seized and I have tried this install 10 times and the nutsert never expands it just ends up threading out the whole way.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I took the black nut and washer that came with it. Taped it to a wrench and put it inside the tailgate. No nutsert needed then. It's a little hard to reach but doable . Just take off the panel on tailgate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have tried this install 10 times and the nutsert never expands it just ends up threading out the whole way.

You push in and hold the Allen head screw still(a T-handle Allen wrench works good for this), turn just the nut with an open end wrench. Don't over tighten the nutsert

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone help me? I tried installing this today and it all was going well until I couldn't get the ball mount to thread into the nutsert. The ball mount's threads don't seem to be long enough.

I'm sending it back if I can't resolve this!

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine wouldn't get tight when turning it trying to get the nutset til I either pulled down on it or pushed to the side it applying pressure and it was all good after that, if that makes sense. That caused the backside to not spin with it.

If I remember right it was a bit loud at first but now it's quiet and smooth as butter.

Last edited:

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Can anyone help me? I tried installing this today and it all was going well until I couldn't get the ball mount to thread into the nutsert. The ball mount's threads don't seem to be long enough.

I'm sending it back if I can't resolve this!
I had the same problem recently. Went out for a quick install one night and stuck from the beginning. Couldn't get the ball to thread.

Is your nutsert stable or does it still spin?

I saved all my parts, need to get around to fixing and installing. I don't know if I need to drill out nutsert and start over or what...

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had the same problem recently. Went out for a quick install one night and stuck from the beginning. Couldn't get the ball to thread.

Is your nutsert stable or does it still spin?

I saved all my parts, need to get around to fixing and installing. I don't know if I need to drill out nutsert and start over or what...

Tried explaining mine above but I'll try this way too...

Instead of putting the ball and nutsert flush and trying to turn it from there, pull it out a little bit and apply pressure somehow to hold the cinching part so it isn't free to spin. Eventually it will be good enough and start sucking the ball mount TO the tailgate. As stated, don't over tighten.