DEF system issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm looking at upgrading to a 3500 for the size 5'ver we're looking at. I really like the payload capacity of these beasts, as well as the tow capacity. Part of me wants to buy diesel, but I've heard of the def system possibly having issues down the road. I plan on buying new, to get a warranty to have piece of mind, but is this something that happens frequently, or is it rare? Does this happen to older models more than newer, or vice versa? Have heard that it is a very expensive repair. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I'm looking at upgrading to a 3500 for the size 5'ver we're looking at. I really like the payload capacity of these beasts, as well as the tow capacity. Part of me wants to buy diesel, but I've heard of the def system possibly having issues down the road. I plan on buying new, to get a warranty to have piece of mind, but is this something that happens frequently, or is it rare? Does this happen to older models more than newer, or vice versa? Have heard that it is a very expensive repair. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Ours is a early 20 model and we've had zero def issues, knock on wood. We haul a heavy fiver a couple times a month on average

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had pre def diesels. My understanding if you do a lot of short trips around town ect, you’ll run into trouble, hauling and hwy trips you should be fine.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It'll be my daily driver along with pulling the fifth wheel around 4-6 times a year.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Driving to the fire hall every third day, around 30 miles round trip. Then on my days off, here and there.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why do you want the diesel then with only a 13k trailer, the hemi can easily handle that and way more? Then you never need to worry about def and regen issues.
Just want to be safe. Maybe I'm overthinking it.. lol.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
DEF problems are exaggerated. You’ll be getting a 100k warranty.

For a fiver big enough to need a 3500 (and yours is) a gas engine is going to be no fun to drive.
So does that 100k warranty cover the def? Or is that powertrain?

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Just want to be safe. Maybe I'm overthinking it.. lol.
Don't get me wrong I love our Cummins and wouldn't trade it for any other , but the only reason we wanted a diesel is that I haul heavy. If we were hauling anything less then a 20k trailer then I'd get a gasser because its better fuel mileage and fuel price and you never need to worry about any dpf issues or expenses. Diesels with all the dpf stuff are mostly meant for hauling big weight because it needs to get worked more often then 5-6 times a yr. Now you can use a diesel truck and never haul a trailer if you drive for 30 minutes on the hwy once a wk, but again why would someone want to buy a diesel if you don't need one and can't work it enough. As little as your going to be using it to tow only 13k I wouldn't even consider a diesel imho, unless you just want one

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
DEF problems are exaggerated. You’ll be getting a 100k warranty.

For a fiver big enough to need a 3500 (and yours is) a gas engine is going to be no fun to drive.
We used our 2016 2500 ram diesel with only the rfe pulling a 13k trailer all over the u.s. twice over 4 years and had zero issues . Plus it even sat level at 2400lbs pin weight with no help from any air bags.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I personally think def problems are overrated. But I would get the diesel if I were you. They are so much nicer if your towing. Also I don’t agree with a gas truck getting better fuel mileage. I’ve had three different Cummins and they average between 12-21 miles per gallon towing-unloaded. The exhaust brake is also a big bonus when your towing.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't get me wrong I love our Cummins and wouldn't trade it for any other , but the only reason we wanted a diesel is that I haul heavy. If we were hauling anything less then a 20k trailer then I'd get a gasser because its better fuel mileage and fuel price and you never need to worry about any dpf issues or expenses. Diesels with all the dpf stuff are mostly meant for hauling big weight because it needs to get worked more often then 5-6 times a yr. Now you can use a diesel truck and never haul a trailer if you drive for 30 minutes on the hwy once a wk, but again why would someone want to buy a diesel if you don't need one and can't work it enough. As little as your going to be using it to tow only 13k I wouldn't even consider a diesel imho, unless you just want one
That makes sense. I currently own a 2017 2500 hemi, and love it. Bought it new and never had any issues pulling our travel trailer..which weighed about 8000# loaded. I would keep it if I thought it would handle the heavier 5'ver, but it's going to eat up my payload. Makes me feel better about staying with the Hemi. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
We used our 2016 2500 ram diesel with only the rfe pulling a 13k trailer all over the u.s. twice over 4 years and had zero issues . Plus it even sat level at 2400lbs pin weight with no help from any air bags.
I’m not clear on what you’re selling. OP has wisely considered a diesel, and you’re steering him to a gas truck, which wasn’t your own choice.

And is this a recommendation to overload a 2500 rather than spend a minimal amount more to get a 3500? How many 2500 diesels have the payload for passengers, hitch, toolbox, and 2400# on the pin?

Yes, many people overload every day and get away with zero consequence. But when specing a brand new truck for a sizeable fiver it’s just silly to even look at 2500’s.

In any case, I’ve put in more than my two cents worth, so I’ll move along. I should know better than poking around in emissions posts, and definitely not into the weight policing biz.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I personally think def problems are overrated. But I would get the diesel if I were you. They are so much nicer if your towing. Also I don’t agree with a gas truck getting better fuel mileage. I’ve had three different Cummins and they average between 12-21 miles per gallon towing-unloaded. The exhaust brake is also a big bonus when your towing.
You must be talking about being equipped with the rfe to get 21mpg, because my 6.7 w/aisin only averages about 14 at best ( city / hwy combined) when not towing.
hauling 4-6× yr a13k trailer and a 3500 diesel seems like a waste of a truck to me. Of coarse its gonna haul the trailer better and nicer, but for that weight and as little often as its gonna get worked a 3500 6.7 isn't necessary , unless someone just wants a diesel just because