Dent removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my wife side swiped the garage a few minutes ago. The garage I can fix easy and the minor scuffs on the truck are barely noticeable so I'm not worried bout em. Buuuuut there is a good basketball size dent on the passenger side of the bed. Right between the rear tire and back door. I think if I take out the rear wheel well I can reach in and push the dent out. Assuming it's hollow in that area. Anybody know some ways to pop a dent that don't involve a body shop or rivet puller?

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you posted a pic, that would give a better understanding of the dent and such. But, let's assume there's no crease or stretched metal. Depending how high up the box panel, getting in there and pushing out with your hand could very well work. If it's high up, then getting enough leverage could be a factor. I have used suction cups with success, especially windshield cups.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A really good pdr guy can fix, my brother hit the top portion of his box on his ram where it curves pretty bad and a pdr removed all the damage in his driveway

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that posting a pic or 2 will help get us a better understanding of how bad the dent is. With that said, if there's no creases or its not on a body line I'd look for one of those "paintless" dent removal places before you try and do it yourself which has the potential to make it worse. Those dent guys can do wonders at a fraction of the cost a body shop would charge you. I had a dent removed from my passengers front door and you can't even tell I had a dent before. I wouldn't do it yourself.

Rescue52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your Topic is deBt removal and not deNt. I was waiting for the punchline what you were able to twist out of the wife off this guilt trip!

Light travels faster than sound,
that why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!

OP
OP
bigredbattleship
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As requested a couple shots though not sure if the dent is visible.
2e9b8b4f8fe2124ce42a504bc59dbb96.jpg
aee9e747dd3cc8bc0ac8458cc6132f98.jpg82ed1e5d36d4a8d3e18940771279f731.jpg
240c0733c2c57a1e92ed6344c65918ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A PDR should be able to get rid of most of that easily enough, unfortunately it appears to cross the body line, that will be tough. Get a few estimates and opinions and see if anyone thinks they can get it out completely. I think in the end, you'll need to weigh getting it fixed completely at a body shop vs. living with a semi-complete repair.

2016, no comprehensive or just tryiong to avoid the claim?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yup. like others said, a good PDR guy shouldn't have a problem getting that out to the point you cannot tell it was ever there. If you try to push it out, you might get it or you might make it worse. I just had a PRD guy get a door ding out. Took him 10 minutes and $100 of my money.

OP
OP
bigredbattleship
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A PDR should be able to get rid of most of that easily enough, unfortunately it appears to cross the body line, that will be tough. Get a few estimates and opinions and see if anyone thinks they can get it out completely. I think in the end, you'll need to weigh getting it fixed completely at a body shop vs. living with a semi-complete repair.

2016, no comprehensive or just tryiong to avoid the claim?

Trying to avoid the claim. I'm ok with small dents and scratches. I'm a realist and understand things happen and nothing stays perfect forever. I will look into some pdr spots around, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a pretty basic dent as you can tell. Even if the body line is affected, it's slightly. Pushing or pulling a few inches below the body line will relieve a lot of the issue. Body guys have different approaches to the same problem, in the end come to the same finale. Go slow, you can try pushing out with your hand starting from the bottom working up to the body line area. If you can't get the low area below the body line out pushing, a suction cup from a shower fixture, or the like, use it a couple of inches below the body line outside panel. If it won't stick well, or you are pushing the panel metal in further trying to attach it, then hot glue gun it. Be easy on the glue, a little dab goes far, apply it to the suction cup then cup to panel. Vise grip on the cup pull easy. Be cool taking the cup off the panel. Hair dyer on medium heat works well.

I'm sure someone will chime in with their approach. Whatever you do go SLOW and think about it. PDR guy would have this flawless in minutes. Just saying!

Last edited:

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea a paint less sent removal guy could get rid of that no problem and they aren't that expensive either, well at least around they're not.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I mentioned before, go to one of the paintless dent removal places BEFORE you touch it. Believe it or not it doesn't appear to be that bad. They will do wonders with it. If you try to mess with it yourself you're bound to crease it and make it look like ****. The dent I mentioned in my first post cost me under $200 and there was NO INSURANCE CLAIM and you can't tell I ever had anything done to the door. I am soooo glad it went to them and you'll be too

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee