Derekp's 1500 and Cummins Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Don't do it, don't ever add them up. Lol

Well... start you a separate "slush fund account" NOW, because after your hitched... she'll pull the straps down and the toy buying will over time cease to exist. Unfortunately for me I did that and it backfired because she would see something new when I got it, the truck was pretty well impossible to hide, but gun stuff was a little better, but she would still say "I see that you got something new for the gun"... Me: Nope!... Her: ********!... Me: ****... Her: How much did you spend?... Me: I got no idea... Her: Starts looking at the account, but is baffled because she cant find a transaction - becaaaause I had a hidden account... that led to...:superhack:

Moral of the story - don't hide that stuff, just tell her and you'll more than likely be able to get it.

OP
OP
derekp

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Well... start you a separate "slush fund account" NOW, because after your hitched... she'll pull the straps down and the toy buying will over time cease to exist. Unfortunately for me I did that and it backfired because she would see something new when I got it, the truck was pretty well impossible to hide, but gun stuff was a little better, but she would still say "I see that you got something new for the gun"... Me: Nope!... Her: ********!... Me: ****... Her: How much did you spend?... Me: I got no idea... Her: Starts looking at the account, but is baffled because she cant find a transaction - becaaaause I had a hidden account... that led to...:superhack:

Moral of the story - don't hide that stuff, just tell her and you'll more than likely be able to get it.

That's funny that you say that. Let's just say I've learned to be honest about it. Lol

OP
OP
derekp

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
I don't know now. BOTH IDEAS ARE AWESOME.

this is gonna be tough

Well I will remind you that you do have a 4x4 hemi. I built mine with only a 2wd 4.7, though mine is getting a motor swap here soon. Lol

OP
OP
derekp

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
I feel a disturbance in the force... there's an SRT-8 6.1 lurking...

Lol I wish. I really want to find a rolled over 06 to 08 Cummins with a good drive train and suspension and just swap my body onto that truck. In all honesty though putting a hemi into mine is the most feasible. I already have the rear end which I'm about to rebuild.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Lol I wish. I really want to find a rolled over 06 to 08 Cummins with a good drive train and suspension and just swap my body onto that truck. In all honesty though putting a hemi into mine is the most feasible. I already have the rear end which I'm about to rebuild.

That's the cheapest way to go to get a Cummins, but on a diesel you have to check it over a lot closer and hopefully find out how many miles are on the motor. High miles won't hurt a diesel - as long as it's been taken care of. If you see oil and **** all over it I would advise to stay away.

If you do a HEMI transplant then I would recommend an 06 "without" MDS, the MDS is just a hassle and limits you on mods without changing other stuff first. I know you already know this stuff, but check that motor over good, I would hate for you to drop it in and and it throw a rod going down the road.

OP
OP
derekp

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
That's the cheapest way to go to get a Cummins, but on a diesel you have to check it over a lot closer and hopefully find out how many miles are on the motor. High miles won't hurt a diesel - as long as it's been taken care of. If you see oil and **** all over it I would advise to stay away.

If you do a HEMI transplant then I would recommend an 06 "without" MDS, the MDS is just a hassle and limits you on mods without changing other stuff first. I know you already know this stuff, but check that motor over good, I would hate for you to drop it in and and it throw a rod going down the road.

Yeah whatever motor I go for I'm going to check it over really good. Compression test and everything. I learned my lesson with this motor I have. This truck is on its second motor because the first one had a blown head gasket.

OP
OP
derekp

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Got my new tail lights put in tonight. Had to steal some harness plugs off of an 05 ram and play with all the wires to get everything spliced right. They work great now though. Super bright. I wasnt sure if I was going to like them but I really do. Plus they are leds. Lol

Attachments

• 20160128_213933.jpg
    20160128_213933.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20160128_214008.jpg
    20160128_214008.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20160128_213920.jpg
    20160128_213920.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 42
  • 20160128_222620.jpg
    20160128_222620.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
derekp

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
your truck is beautiful.

I went and priced out lightbars, headlights, and LED's :D

Bro look at ebay. Every single one of my leds on my truck with the exception of the tail lights came from eBay. My windshield light bar was $108 free shipping, and most of my pods came as a pair at like $25 for both. Don't waste your time buying from a retailer, just my opinion.

Last edited:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Got my new tail lights put in tonight. Had to steal some harness plugs off of an 05 ram and play with all the wires to get everything spliced right. They work great now though. Super bright. I wasnt sure if I was going to like them but I really do. Plus they are leds. Lol

Those look great on your truck! Now the people behind you won't be able to when you hit the brakes.

PS: How are those tires holding up? They just layed off again and I'm looking at selling the Coopers I got now and getting another set of A/T's and putting the stock pipe back on. I'm growing tired of the tire howl and exhaust.

OP
OP
derekp

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Those look great on your truck! Now the people behind you won't be able to when you hit the brakes.

PS: How are those tires holding up? They just layed off again and I'm looking at selling the Coopers I got now and getting another set of A/T's and putting the stock pipe back on. I'm growing tired of the tire howl and exhaust.
Yeah they are really bright. The tires are great, still really quiet. Don't do it, you'll miss the sound. Go drive something that is quiet for a week or so and your ears will be begging to hear the motor growl again.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yeah they are really bright. The tires are great, still really quiet. Don't do it, you'll miss the sound. Go drive something that is quiet for a week or so and your ears will be begging to hear the motor growl again.
I have my exhausted "clamped" on. I can pull it of and replace it with stock in about 30 minutes.