Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick??

Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick?

• Yes, lubegard killed that tick

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • No, lubegard didn't kill tick, yet

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Lubegard made hemi tick noticeably better not 100% though

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Just an FYI about the hemi-tick. I've had it for years on my 2010 Ram with the 5.7L. I moved a couple years ago into a house that has a very steep incline up the driveway. I have noticed that if I back my truck up the incline and park it that way. Whenever I come back and start it the next day, week, etc.. It doesn't have any tick at all. I can crank up and immediately pull out of the driveway and go about my business and there is no tick. Didn't know if anyone else had noticed something similar. If I park with the front of the truck going up hill, I have the tick for a minute or so after I crank it.
There have been a few post on incline scenarios with ticks/without.
That's why some fill with 7.5 - 8 quarts to get the same effect of less/no tick on start-up

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Great thread! Thanks @Burla.

I don’t add extra oil, I just add a half quart of Lubegard to a fresh 7 quart fill from the dealership, so it has 7.5 quarts total.

I don’t have many miles. Probably 12000. I did hear some clatter 2 times on starting for about 1-2 seconds

Both times I had started and driven the truck a quarter mile or less and let it cool down overnight beforehand. It says to expect that in the manual. I don’t think it is the hemi tick.

I bought an extended warranty for 10 years/150000 miles. I am not worried.

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 17 Laramie in 2020 with 22k on it. I noticed some chatter on start up from time to time and became somewhat concerned about it. I found about Lubegard on this forum and decide to try that route. I went with 7 qts of M1 5w30 and 15 ozs. of Lubegard. Almost immediately the engine sounded smoother and it seemed to have eliminated the occasional tick on start up. Interestingly enough on an oil change about a year back, Wallyworld only had M1 5w20, so I bought it figuring it wouldn't make much of a difference. I again started to get an occasional tick on start-up. I then changed back to M1 5w30 and it again ran quieter and eliminated the tick on start-up. Through trial and error it appears that M1 5w30 and lubegard appears to work for my truck. I'm now at 73k and have only heard a tick on the one oil change where I tried 5w20.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I bought my 17 Laramie in 2020 with 22k on it. I noticed some chatter on start up from time to time and became somewhat concerned about it. I found about Lubegard on this forum and decide to try that route. I went with 7 qts of M1 5w30 and 15 ozs. of Lubegard. Almost immediately the engine sounded smoother and it seemed to have eliminated the occasional tick on start up. Interestingly enough on an oil change about a year back, Wallyworld only had M1 5w20, so I bought it figuring it wouldn't make much of a difference. I again started to get an occasional tick on start-up. I then changed back to M1 5w30 and it again ran quieter and eliminated the tick on start-up. Through trial and error it appears that M1 5w30 and lubegard appears to work for my truck. I'm now at 73k and have only heard a tick on the one oil change where I tried 5w20.

You've found an oil/oil additive combo that your HEMI likes and there's no need to "experiment" with anything else.

Happy motoring and hammer down!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

All these different reports are fascinating. My truck I've run a number of different oils and filters, one summer I ran m1 0w-40 with a dose of LG and that didn't make a bit of difference.

How I get the startup rattle; start truck when its cold, drive 5 mins down road, shut it off. Wait for an hour and half+. If it's winter and engine temp never exceeded 50C to 55C, it will rattle on startup like clockwork.

The same oils, if I make sure it gets hot (past 65C) then I have a really good chance that there is no startup rattle.

The oils I've tested include dealer oil, Redline in 0w-30, 5w-20, 5w-30, M1 0w-40 with LG, HPL PP 0w-30, No VII 5w-30, and PCMO 5w-20.
Filters I've tested include mopar/dealer, Fram (small one) and the XG2, and RP 10-48 + RP 20-480.

(Yeah I've been all over the place with my oil and filters, I don't think a single "formula" was repeated consecutively).

None of that has had a single bit of difference that I can tell, but the engine temps are key for me. Just have to get something hot in there though I couldn't tell you what. I have never once shut down the engine when it's at operating temp, come back at any time later, and got startup rattle. It has to be shutdown cold.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
All these different reports are fascinating. My truck I've run a number of different oils and filters, one summer I ran m1 0w-40 with a dose of LG and that didn't make a bit of difference.

How I get the startup rattle; start truck when its cold, drive 5 mins down road, shut it off. Wait for an hour and half+. If it's winter and engine temp never exceeded 50C to 55C, it will rattle on startup like clockwork.

The same oils, if I make sure it gets hot (past 65C) then I have a really good chance that there is no startup rattle.

The oils I've tested include dealer oil, Redline in 0w-30, 5w-20, 5w-30, M1 0w-40 with LG, HPL PP 0w-30, No VII 5w-30, and PCMO 5w-20.
Filters I've tested include mopar/dealer, Fram (small one) and the XG2, and RP 10-48 + RP 20-480.

(Yeah I've been all over the place with my oil and filters, I don't think a single "formula" was repeated consecutively).

None of that has had a single bit of difference that I can tell, but the engine temps are key for me. Just have to get something hot in there though I couldn't tell you what. I have never once shut down the engine when it's at operating temp, come back at any time later, and got startup rattle. It has to be shutdown cold.
Pretty well every Hemi will rattle on the next start-up if it only runs for a few minutes then gets shut down,and it'll do it whether it's hot or cold,you can usually bypass that issue,by revving it up 1500 to 2,000 rpm for a couple seconds before you shut it off

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ram Forum's top lube strategies are only successful between 50% to 80% depending on the strategy. It's too bad we all can't revel in the movement from a ticking hemi to a non ticking one, but this is just the easiest route and imo wildly successful for the fact all we are talking about is a different lube. I think a large % of ticks these strategies don't kill are exhaust rattle, when exhaust warms the gaskets expand and hemi's go quiet. Although I am also sure not all the fails are from exhaust, just the fact the difference in lube strategies also proves it isnt just exhaust. If one is 80% successful and the other is 50% successful considering random stats theory, it certainly suggests that one strategy is more successful at what it's target is, as in lube for lifters/cam. I would be doing uoa's, that can also hint towards the answer, if the uoa's are heavy wear, then I would take the next step and start checking lifter travel and lash. If the uoa is clean, well I wouldnt worry it is either exhaust or not that bad. The interesting part of this is even cam/lifter replacement is no guarantee to stop hemi tick, not even proven hemi lifter tick.

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
There appears to be two sizes on amazon.....15 and 10 fluid ounces . Any idea how much is required in the standard 5.7 hemi? I have a 17 tradesman (88kkms) that occasionally ticks on cold start....really very rare but i'd be interested in trying this for a bit as I drive very few klicks and mostly short trips so I think its a no brainer based on what Burla says. TIA for the replies.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There appears to be two sizes on amazon.....15 and 10 fluid ounces . Any idea how much is required in the standard 5.7 hemi? I have a 17 tradesman (88kkms) that occasionally ticks on cold start....really very rare but i'd be interested in trying this for a bit as I drive very few klicks and mostly short trips so I think its a no brainer based on what Burla says. TIA for the replies.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
These guys are in Edmonton,and so far are the cheapest place in Canada i've found to buy the Engine Protectant. If you buy 12 or more they give you a break on the price,and quite often it's enough to offset the shipping. You're better off phoning them tomorrow morning ,then trying to order it online from them.I phoned them monday afternoon,and it was on my doorstep by noon the next day in Calgary.Being your in Kamloops it might take a couple days though.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pretty well every Hemi will rattle on the next start-up if it only runs for a few minutes then gets shut down,and it'll do it whether it's hot or cold,you can usually bypass that issue,by revving it up 1500 to 2,000 rpm for a couple seconds before you shut it off
What is the rattling? I have never heard anything except that it is normal.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
These guys are in Edmonton,and so far are the cheapest place in Canada i've found to buy the Engine Protectant. If you buy 12 or more they give you a break on the price,and quite often it's enough to offset the shipping. You're better off phoning them tomorrow morning ,then trying to order it online from them.I phoned them monday afternoon,and it was on my doorstep by noon the next day in Calgary.Being your in Kamloops it might take a couple days though.

Thanks for the info, that is WAY cheaper than anywhere else I have found it. Interestingly, when I searched Lube Guard Bio on the U.S. Amazon site it doesn't come up. Lots of Lubeguard products but not the Bio-Gaurd. It does come up on Amazon.CA but 30 bucks a 10 ounce bottle.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thanks for the info, that is WAY cheaper than anywhere else I have found it. Interestingly, when I searched Lube Guard Bio on the U.S. Amazon site it doesn't come up. Lots of Lubeguard products but not the Bio-Gaurd. It does come up on Amazon.CA but 30 bucks a 10 ounce bottle.
Must be a Canadian thing........LoL

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 11-58-33 Amazon.com Lubegard 30901 Bio_Tech Engine Oil Protectant 15 ...png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 11-58-33 Amazon.com Lubegard 30901 Bio_Tech Engine Oil Protectant 15 ...png
    351.9 KB · Views: 11

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Must be a Canadian thing........LoL
It has to be, I put in Lubeguard 30901 and nothing comes up. Happens sometimes when they don't have a ship to Canada option. At the 13.05, by the time I include exchange, it is actually cheaper to buy it locally. If you then add postage it is WAY cheaper to get it at the transmission shop here in Edm that Wild posted up. Going to go pickup a case later today.

Interesting enough, I just found 32 ounce bottles on Amazon.ca for 59 bucks each, which works out to 18.45 for t10 ounces, and shipping is free. That is WAY cheaper than their price on the 10 and 15 ounce bottles. I ordered 3, they show 5 left.

Last edited: