Did Redline Oil work against your Hemi Tick?

Did redline kill your hemi tick?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A used oil analysis, and a card is something you hold back until and if it is needed. HP oil is high performance oil, in redline's case it is pao and ester base fluid along with heavy aw/ep additives, which are Anti Wear and Extreme Pressure additives. So it isnt like hype or fodder, in this case when they say HP oil it is indeed going to perform in the extremes much better then group 3 oil. If you look at the chart redline's base oils are line 2 and 5, and line one is what you buy off the shelf.

1689558808353.png

So what we now know thanks to the forum and over 100 trucks here with hemi tick, those features in redline's formula are killing ticks at a high rate, which by itself is a small miracle. Read this thread for m ore info if you havent yet. In my opinion their are a certain number of rams that absolutely need this type of oil, fca agrees their hemi specific oil was super high EP additives and about equal to viscosity as redline 5w30. However, there are a bunch of rams that just don't need this stuff and since the price has exploded, why not stay with what is working, maybe get a uoa see where you are at. If you truck starts knocking, you know what to do at that point, redline 5w30 and a rp 20-820, if that doesnt quiet it likely nothing will.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, there's a lot of old retired guys on here like me, so we don't drive a lot anymore. For us using Red Line isn't a huge money outlay because we don't need to change oil but once or twice a year.

For you guys that run daily, @Burla gives sound advice. I.e. - we don't run Red Line in any other of our street vehicles. Red Line is targeted to race engines, so we use it to band aid Hemi street engines.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A used oil analysis, and a card is something you hold back until and if it is needed. HP oil is high performance oil, in redline's case it is pao and ester base fluid along with heavy aw/ep additives, which are Anti Wear and Extreme Pressure additives. So it isnt like hype or fodder, in this case when they say HP oil it is indeed going to perform in the extremes much better then group 3 oil. If you look at the chart redline's base oils are line 2 and 5, and line one is what you buy off the shelf.

View attachment 524680

So what we now know thanks to the forum and over 100 trucks here with hemi tick, those features in redline's formula are killing ticks at a high rate, which by itself is a small miracle. Read this thread for m ore info if you havent yet. In my opinion their are a certain number of rams that absolutely need this type of oil, fca agrees their hemi specific oil was super high EP additives and about equal to viscosity as redline 5w30. However, there are a bunch of rams that just don't need this stuff and since the price has exploded, why not stay with what is working, maybe get a uoa see where you are at. If you truck starts knocking, you know what to do at that point, redline 5w30 and a rp 20-820, if that doesnt quiet it likely nothing will.
THANKS Burla

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Do you have hemi tick? Start up tick? Any tick or knock? So I would so it is a low risk move, but still why risk it when you likely wont gain anything. The potential issue with mixing two ester products and if that is gonna be hard on seals. Clearly redline is well balanced we have had guys use it over ten years, myself been using it now 13 years, and no seal leaks. So that is a known "none issue", but mixing esters long term in not a known "none issue". All you would gain is something like a moly count of 450 boosted up to 500 with biotech, so most of us say the juice aint worth the squeeze.
No tick. Used the Redline oil before on my previous Hemi trucks. Just hoping to prevent the issue.

Scott A Grau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bad for not doing this a long time ago, I'm sure many members who have been involved in this are long gone. Let's get a % of current members who have had success or not success at having hemi tick eliminated by the use of redline oil. If you have actually NOT used redline, please refrain from answering the poll, I'll have an option just for you. But anyone who has had hemi tick and tried redline, please answer honestly to your result. If you are wondering why this is even a conversation, visit the syn thread for what makes redline oil different from the crowd.
Hemi tick has to do with bad design and broken header bolts, I've had mine replaced. How would different oil make a difference?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hemi tick has to do with bad design and broken header bolts, I've had mine replaced. How would different oil make a difference?
Find the threads in my sig and read them if you wish, you seam to have your mind made up, but ram forum has shown the benefit of having an oil strategy. From one such thread below, the only thing he had wrong was the fix should be EP and not so much AW additives, because AW additives wipe off fast and easy, but the hemi tick is indeed an extreme pressure situation, so as it turns out EP additives can solve most hemi ticks. I'm not really sure about the "bad desing" angle, it either gets lubrication or it doesn't? If it doesn't, cam would be gone within 100 miles new, so since cams get lubricated the choice is what type of oil do you want on your cam. Do you want one with base oils that don't break down in the extremes which means hot or cold? A base oil with heavy EP additives which make a smooth plate protecting metal to metal contact? or do you want an oil where for the last 30 years has been a target of your epa who decided to take all of the protection out of the oil and added thing centered around cleaning and sparce additives and base oils for fuel economy? That is the choice, and since the top two oils on the board are guys who run those sparce oils, it is the moire popular thing to do. However, hemi owners on the board 3 and 4 most popular oils are oils that cost more and have heavy additives and base oils, which is rare to have those two oils so popular. People are searc hing for ways to protect their cams, read the threads in my sig if you want more info, good luck either way.

kmyvgod-jpg.449439

imcvwvj-jpg.449440

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Find the threads in my sig and read them if you wish, you seam to have your mind made up, but ram forum has shown the benefit of having an oil strategy. From one such thread below, the only thing he had wrong was the fix should be EP and not so much AW additives, because AW additives wipe off fast and easy, but the hemi tick is indeed an extreme pressure situation, so as it turns out EP additives can solve most hemi ticks. I'm not really sure about the "bad desing" angle, it either gets lubrication or it doesn't? If it doesn't, cam would be gone within 100 miles new, so since cams get lubricated the choice is what type of oil do you want on your cam. Do you want one with base oils that don't break down in the extremes which means hot or cold? A base oil with heavy EP additives which make a smooth plate protecting metal to metal contact? or do you want an oil where for the last 30 years has been a target of your epa who decided to take all of the protection out of the oil and added thing centered around cleaning and sparce additives and base oils for fuel economy? That is the choice, and since the top two oils on the board are guys who run those sparce oils, it is the moire popular thing to do. However, hemi owners on the board 3 and 4 most popular oils are oils that cost more and have heavy additives and base oils, which is rare to have those two oils so popular. People are searc hing for ways to protect their cams, read the threads in my sig if you want more info, good luck either way.

kmyvgod-jpg.449439

imcvwvj-jpg.449440

... he's an old guy like me and just needed a little guidance, lol.

MrFixNothing

Reaction score
I have this Hemi Tick. Glad I found this thread. Just ordered some Red Line oil and bought a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter (cheapest RP I can find would be $60 bucks shipped :oops:). Will be back to post results.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have this Hemi Tick. Glad I found this thread. Just ordered some Red Line oil and bought a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter (cheapest RP I can find would be $60 bucks shipped :oops:). Will be back to post results.
Where are buying the Royal Purple filter at for 60 bucks.Any speed shop or Lordco should have them for 1/2 that price.
Lordco should also have Redline oil in stock

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When i replaced cam/lifters plus hrllcat oil pump, vvt valve, phaser and timing chain i went with royal purple 5-20. I had about 3 seconds of tick on startup each day. So I switched to Penn grade 5-30 and tick went away, however I had a check engine light come on for low oil pressure. It happened twice both times sitting a traffic light or stop sign. Switched back to 5-20 mobile 1 and no light. Makes no sense.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When i replaced cam/lifters plus hrllcat oil pump, vvt valve, phaser and timing chain i went with royal purple 5-20. I had about 3 seconds of tick on startup each day. So I switched to Penn grade 5-30 and tick went away, however I had a check engine light come on for low oil pressure. It happened twice both times sitting a traffic light or stop sign. Switched back to 5-20 mobile 1 and no light. Makes no sense.
Try swapping in a OEM Hellcat sensor,it supposedly gets rid of the low pressure light syndrome

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Usually a thicker oil would mean higher psi, so you are right doesnt make sense. You might have a lurking issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Usually a thicker oil would mean higher psi, so you are right doesnt make sense. You might have a lurking issue.
Apparently it has something to do with the way the factory sensor is configured Mike,the general fix lately is to swap in the factory hellcat oil pressure sensor