Diesel or Gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
and because of the Lifetime Maxxcare I had, I was somewhat married to the dealer I went to
Please explain. Why did MaxCare marry you to a particular dealer?

Quite an ordeal. At least they let you have a loaner.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Please explain. Why did MaxCare marry you to a particular dealer?

Quite an ordeal. At least they let you have a loaner.
Well, I guess if I'd gotten into the nitty gritty of it I COULD have gone elsewhere. However, I've cultivated a long-standing, good-terms relationship with this dealer's service department, and I did not want to do something to jeopardize said relationship. That's why I ended up with a loaner - they make sure to get me one, even if they have to pull a vehicle off the lot (new or used).

That and the next closest dealer that isn't over an hour away is one of those 'conglomerates.' I have had several friends try to work with them, and the ones who didn't walk away have said it was the worst experience they've had with a dealer. They also tried to refuse my Supplier Discount when my wife was truck shopping.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Diesels pull better, get better mileage and last much longer. Right now in Nevada, diesel fuel costs over a dollar LESS THAN premium gasoline.

Gas trucks around 130-170 k miles start to have issues with engines and transmissions. Then the 10 k that a diesel costs starts to seem cheap. Diesels have much higher value as they age.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Diesels pull better, get better mileage and last much longer. Right now in Nevada, diesel fuel costs over a dollar LESS THAN premium gasoline.

Gas trucks around 130-170 k miles start to have issues with engines and transmissions. Then the 10 k that a diesel costs starts to seem cheap. Diesels have much higher value as they age.
No insult intended, but this thread is about 6 months old.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
It will be relevant 5 years from now. It was relevant 20 years ago.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The used value difference between a gasser and diesel is relative to the cost of the diesel option. So if you have a similar year/trim/options/miles/condition truck one diesel one gasser they'll be about $9000 apart in price.

The thing that's hurting diesels is all the current gen emissions garbage they install. DEF, DPF, EGR, fuel system, are all very expensive to fix. Neighbors 2018 F350 with 75k miles just needed a complete fuel system due to a bad HPFP to the tune of $8700.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The used value difference between a gasser and diesel is relative to the cost of the diesel option. So if you have a similar year/trim/options/miles/condition truck one diesel one gasser they'll be about $9000 apart in price.

The thing that's hurting diesels is all the current gen emissions garbage they install. DEF, DPF, EGR, fuel system, are all very expensive to fix. Neighbors 2018 F350 with 75k miles just needed a complete fuel system due to a bad HPFP to the tune of $8700.
As far as the $8700 HPFP problem it's FORD who failed to do what Ram on its trucks with the CP-4, Ram recalled & replaced the crappy CP-4 HPFP that Ford ( last I heard still uses) even though they know it has problems, instead of doing the right thing they passed the cost on to the truck owner

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
As far as the $8700 HPFP problem it's FORD who failed to do what Ram on its trucks with the CP-4, Ram recalled & replaced the crappy CP-4 HPFP that Ford ( last I heard still uses) even though they know it has problems, instead of doing the right thing they passed the cost on to the truck owner
You act like that absolves Ram of doing the same to countless people that had CP4's blow up. Those people paid out of pocket to get their trucks fixed, and weren't reimbursed after the recall started. Or somehow the DFP, DEF and EGR system don't have problems?

All modern diesels have issues. And you are going to pay a lot to get them fixed out of warranty.

There's a guy on YT with a bunch of '22 Ram 3500's for his hotshot business. Every one of his trucks started having engine problems at 100k miles.

Don't get me wrong, if I ever buy a 5th wheel I'm getting a 3500 diesel. Then I'll start dousing it with holy water and praying nightly that it doesn't break.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You act like that absolves Ram of doing the same to countless people that had CP4's blow up. Those people paid out of pocket to get their trucks fixed, and weren't reimbursed after the recall started. Or somehow the DFP, DEF and EGR system don't have problems?

All modern diesels have issues. And you are going to pay a lot to get them fixed out of warranty.

There's a guy on YT with a bunch of '22 Ram 3500's for his hotshot business. Every one of his trucks started having engine problems at 100k miles.

Don't get me wrong, if I ever buy a 5th wheel I'm getting a 3500 diesel. Then I'll start dousing it with holy water and praying nightly that it doesn't break.
I've personally owned 3 trucks, each of them having ~200,000 miles when I sold them and bought a new one. All have been gassers, and none of them ever had any engine or transmission problems. I maintained a CDL for 30 years before I retired and I have driven many different diesels and hauled thousands of tons of material and equipment with those. If I were going to be towing a lot on a regular basis, I would also get a diesel, but I wouldn't want the maintenance to deal with which was a common issue when I was working. Fortunately, those diesels belonged to my employer and I wasn't responsible for anything breaking.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've personally owned 3 trucks, each of them having ~200,000 miles when I sold them and bought a new one. All have been gassers, and none of them ever had any engine or transmission problems. I maintained a CDL for 30 years before I retired and I have driven many different diesels and hauled thousands of tons of material and equipment with those. If I were going to be towing a lot on a regular basis, I would also get a diesel, but I wouldn't want the maintenance to deal with which was a common issue when I was working. Fortunately, those diesels belonged to my employer and I wasn't responsible for anything breaking.

And since you drove they all got complicated chemical factories and controls on their exhaust.

No thanks.