Diesel trouble 3 shops can't find the problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
I have a 03 Cummins 2500 4x4 I have built Trans edge cts2 w hot unlock air intake 4in exhaust and now a fast 150 titanium

So my problem has been for months. If I am sitting at a stop light and floor it WOT. The truck does not take off. It surges and hesitates. Like its running out of fuel. Rail pressure goes up around 14k-16k psi and sits right there. blows small cloud of black smoke and turbo spools up to around 20 psi. If you let the throttle up and get right back into it. It takes off like it should. rail goes to 23k 35psi of boost

Now if you take of with it even going 2 mph it will take of fast, smooth, and strong.
Freeway drives and has no problem

What I have done so far is
First clean all grounds
new batteries
Clean and check all connectors to sensors
Replaced FCA
Replaced Map senor by air filter
Replaced boost sensor
Didn't help or change anything

Took it to shop
Shop checked return flow of injectors and and injector cut out test replaced number 3 injector returning to much fuel

Still the same but starts up faster

Next shop said in tank lift pump not enough fuel flow rail suckling dry

So I put a fast 150 titanium on it. Still no difference

The next shop says possible injectors but they can't guarantee it because all the injectors read within spec.

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Really sad when the wife's sonata beats me racing from the stop light.

Also when I can't even brake the tires lose even power braking.

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Yes me too.
Little annoying when you know something is wrong but you can't figure it out.
And spend thousands doing it

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Someone said even though my injectors passed the balance test and flow test. That I should take them out and have them bench tested.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wish you were closer, the shop I work at could push the injectors to their limit and see how they are holding up. Not lift pump, if it isn't sucking it dry on highway and from 2MPH then it shouldn't from a dead stop.

If you can do without the injectors for a week PM me and I'll give you specifics about what we do and an address. There are a lot of performance shops around but not a lot I know of that has the injector and pump test stands we do.

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Thanks for the response.

There's a company here that has a Bosch injector bench test I was told they want like 50 per injector to test.
But they have really bad reviews online.
My thoughts were what do they test besides hooking them up and see how the spray pattern is. Or isn't spraying

I read today online that the 47re has a defuel torque management. And it makes it really hard to do burnouts and hard launches?

Does the edge not bypass that?

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Yes I most likely will. Just hurts everytime I spend that extra money and no fix.

I just did a ecm reflash because people were saying the 03 had bad software and could cause all sorts of issues.

Disn't fix the problem..

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK just got done talking with a few people here.
Looks like we get 50 bucks a piece for testing injectors also.

The fuel torque management is meant to keep you from ripping the guts out of your tranny. There are ways to defeat it a couple places offer such devices I don't know if they allow saying who on this forum due to sponsorships. But I probably can say "Scary Larry" since it might be a product or the guy with a sex offender record that moved in my neighborhood recently.

Anyhow my personal opinion from what you have told me is you are on the road to finding the next weak link in your system LOL :)

Have you tried un plugging the CTS and seeing if it acts the same?

The way it was described to me fuel torque management detects slipping in the trans (as subtle as it may be) and reacts on that. Your problems may have already begun.

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
I'm getting a bd rad box for my truck today 110$ gamble

If you Google the 01 02 beginning 03s (MINE) cummins torque management that's exact problem I have.

The torque management on these at 1/2 to full throttle takeoffso the ecm only giveshows you half throttle and defuels until 2nd gear or 20 mph or something like that.

It's almost like the new cars with traction control

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate traction control, my wife and I have had 3 new hondas in the past 4 years the TC is stupid.

It also kills the throttle if your foot is on the brake petal even slightly. I almost took the first one back for that. If I'm rollin towards what might or might not be a stop I have both feet active, quicker reaction time.

Post back with the results of the rad box plz-

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
So I think I f I understand my problem

I have been doing a it of research and found out my truck being a early 03 it has the 47re and has a torque management built into the ECM just like the 01 & 02 Cummins.

I read the BD RAD Speed Eliminator will remove the torque management defueling and give you full power at WOT takeoffs

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Has anyone installed one of the BD RAD Boxes into a 03 or 04 Cummins before

I'm having trouble hooking this one up.
I have went over all the wiring 5 times and check ECM pins resistance checked all the wires and everything checks out great.

Box isn't Changing anything

OP
OP
M

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Anybody install a bd rad box speed limiter

I just found our after all this my truck has the 47re same as the 01 02 Cummins and has the torque management in the ecm and the truck defuels if you give more then 1/2 throttle from a stop to protect transmission. And drivetrain.

I bought the rad box but can't seem to get it to work correctly

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't personally know anyone that has one, you might call BD customer service maybe there is a simple test you can run to determine if the thing works at all.

I don't know anyone at BD, they are competitors since we are a Superchips dealer.