Difference with resonators removed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Could be a dumb question but I’m assuming those are resonators almost right behind the tips of our dual exhaust trucks. Does removing them make a huge difference in sound? Is it annoyingly louder or bad a$$ louder lol?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Annoying more than anything. It gets louder but the resonance, especially in MDS mode, really gets obnoxious.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was never really satisfied w/ my 14" Magnaflow when I had stock cats until I removed the resonators. W/ the resonators the 14" Magnaflow sounded more like a 22" Magnaflow w/o resonators. Once I pulled them off the Magnaflow sounded better with a deeper slightly louder tone. Was well worth it to remove them

Thale51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone with the Carven Progressive muffler remove them? I love the sound of my exhaust now, but am curious as well how much of a difference removing the resonators would make.

Cooter91

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys, was wondering anyone have photos of their setup below? im dealing with a new 14" magnaflow, on a single pipe system, with the resonator still installed. but it sure dont sound right, almost still stock. I was wondering if i remove the resonator, will the full sound finally come in play? and aslo, after the magnaflow, somewhat in the middle....how much pipe should i go back with the resonator deleted? thanks in advance

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys, was wondering anyone have photos of their setup below? im dealing with a new 14" magnaflow, on a single pipe system, with the resonator still installed. but it sure dont sound right, almost still stock. I was wondering if i remove the resonator, will the full sound finally come in play? and aslo, after the magnaflow, somewhat in the middle....how much pipe should i go back with the resonator deleted? thanks in advance

The resonator on the single exit quiet it down a lot, but also help with the drone. Now, I would give it some time to break-in as the Magnaflow contain stainless mesh wrap and acoustical fiber, so it will get louder after a while (depends on your driving style)

Cooter91

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do NOT remove the resonators. I did and now it sounds like I have cheap glasspacks. Crackles and pops when I rev it up and let off the gas. Sounds like ****.
The magnaflow will get louder as the packing burns in.

interesting, good to know brother. it has been a couple months, and i was starting to think this $130-$150 magnaflow was a rip....but maybe ill wait some more.

Cooter91

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so dont touch anything, huh? from the headers, to pipe, then the 14" magnaflow, some more pipe, to the small box like resonator, then tip......nothing?

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the resonators removed with a borla XS and it sounds sick. Depends on the muffler, I wouldn’t run a carven muffler with the resonators gone. Would be just loud IMO. Then again, different strokes..

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Cooter91

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can try to remove the tailpipe completely and install a cheap turn down at the muffler. Slightly angled to the side it will rumble a little in the cab, but it's not that bad. Without the turn down you will lose your filling.

http://www.dynomax.com/od-turn-down-41095.html

cool! i had actually seen that earlier, but was thinking, where would i install it? after the mag muffler in the middle...or near the end after the res, or in place of the res. thanks

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cool! i had actually seen that earlier, but was thinking, where would i install it? after the mag muffler in the middle...or near the end after the res, or in place of the res. thanks
yeah just after the muffler, this way the tail pipe will be intact if you want to revert back.

if with the turn down it's still not loud enough, then you will need a louder muffler like the Carven or a muffler delete

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

docwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just disconnect the exhaust after the muffler. Ride it around a while and see what you think. It wont be exact but it will be pretty close to what it would be like with the res removed.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Do NOT remove the resonators. I did and now it sounds like I have cheap glasspacks. Crackles and pops when I rev it up and let off the gas. Sounds like ****.
The magnaflow will get louder as the packing burns in.

This right here, my muffler guy warned against removing them, so I left them on.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just disconnect the exhaust after the muffler. Ride it around a while and see what you think. It wont be exact but it will be pretty close to what it would be like with the res removed.
no this is not the same, trust me i tried. the entire cab will shake and it will be unbearable

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine

Beware if your state requires vehicle inspections. If so, check what the requirements are for exhaust. For example, here in the state of Virginia vehicles fail inspection if the exhaust pipe does not exit behind the rear axle. Excluding classic cars with antique tags. Wheel spacers also fail inspection here...

Last edited: