Differential Fluid - Milky and Chunky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
2016 CTD. No idea how previous owner used truck so I decided to follow “severe” maintenance and change diff fluid at 60k miles. Rear was dark and dirty (not too bad) as expected. Front was clean and clear (as expected). At least the fluid that drained out. The bottom had a bunch of oil that was thicker and milky looking. l had to scrape it out by hand. Included was chunks of thick amber rubbery solids. Large and small with The fluid feeling almost gritty from it. I cleaned it out and replaced as normal. Could this be from water getting in? No metal to speak of. Magnet had some fine, dark metal grit, but much less than rear diff (as expected).

29D6E902-CD92-4320-A705-687B1E088ED3.jpeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Milky oil is usually from water so maybe. I'd def check it in 500 to 1000 miles just to see how its doing

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah water intrusion will turn the gear lube milky.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the red pieces i believe is some kind of glue when they assemble everything. youll find that on all the aam axles. factory oil in the rear turns dark fairly quick and should be expected. front stays clear because nothing turns but spider gears. everything you mentioned seems normal

OP
OP
Mcgruff

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks all. I’m thinking I should check the vent/breather tube to make sure it’s where it’s supposed to be. I assume it should have one. Didn’t think about it at the time. Previous owner might have driven through some deep water.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all. I’m thinking I should check the vent/breather tube to make sure it’s where it’s supposed to be. I assume it should have one. Didn’t think about it at the time. Previous owner might have driven through some deep water.
More than likely, I'd say 99 percent sure that's what happened. When I hit deep mud or water i always change fluid out just in case to be safe. If ya are pulling it off might as well throw on the banks diff lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk