Disabling ESC (Electronic Stability Control)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Hey guys, it’s been a while since I’ve been on the Forum. Typically I’m seeking help or guidance on my aging 2003 Ram 1500. But today I’m asking for a buddy of mine who has a 2018 Dodge Ram Power Wagon. He’s been trying to figure out if you can totally disable the ESC (Electronic Stability Control). He knows you can partially turn it off with the ESC button. But is there a way to fully disabled it..? Even if you have to do redo it each time you restart the truck..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You might check in with ZAutomotive and look at their NoESP switch.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you press and hold on the esc button until it beeps it disables esc until wheel speed hits 40 mph above that it kicks back in when it drops below it it's back off. It needs to be in 4 wheel high and I believe neutral? but possibly drive.
It's different than just turning the button off.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it shares the same fuse as the ABS, you could pull that fuse and it should kill it as well.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have done it. Attached is my PDF file that may help you.

Attachments

• 22a-JFJ ECS-TCS Modification.pdf
    236.4 KB · Views: 97

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get Hptuners, then you have two ways of doing it.

Permanently simply changing the displacement value of your engine from 6.4/5.7/3.6 etc to 0 in your calibration with the VCM HPT Editor. Doing it this way will permanently disable your traction control in full until you change the value back to the original displacement in the tune
upload_2019-11-5_10-25-56.png

Or temporalily doing it with VCM HPT scanner, you simply toggle a switch to enable/disable traction control. This is not permanent. If you disabled it this way, once you turn off the vehicle the setting should get re-enable by itself after you start the engine the next time. That means you have to have your HPT device and laptop handy everytime you want to disable the setting.

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thanks for the helps guys. I think he was hoping there would be an easier way. Like hold the ESC button longer etc. I know about disabling the ESC in 4x4. But immediately went back on once he put it back in 2WD. But I’ll let him know. Thanks for the help guys.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the helps guys. I think he was hoping there would be an easier way. Like hold the ESC button longer etc. I know about disabling the ESC in 4x4. But immediately went back on once he put it back in 2WD. But I’ll let him know. Thanks for the help guys.

Here is the setup I used on my power wagon.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5798

It is exactly like pulling the ABS fuse, but doing it while sitting in the truck. And on the fly. Simply flick the switch and BOOM there is no nannies. Flick it back on and its like nothing happened.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
This is prob dead, but i do make and sell a Stability Control Bypass Harness for 09-12, and 13-21 Rams if anyone would be interested? $35 shipped
It isn't dead. I get calls asking me to modify the F26 fuse to disable the system. I don't do that except for one fellow that I said I would do last year and I still haven't done it. I'm sure he would jump at a complete harness.

Do you have any pics or schematics for your harness? It would help, in fact necessary.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
all the pics are on my phone right now and its dead lol, but i can get some up here tomorrow after work, I was modifying a fuse at first, but every harness I make I test it on my Ram first before shipping it, and it broke after about 10 or so harnesses, so I use female spade connectors now, going into a in line 30a fuse then quick disconnects for warranty work or whatever reason.
Sound good. I like the quick disconnect feature.

I tried female spade connectors but I was afraid of them shorting ou as there was just mechanical clearance between them, I thought about shopping for a different spade connector but never did. The modified 30amp fuse is best but a pain to modify.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am I missing something here or did Gottis Garage posts get deleted? I just inquired and bought one of his harnesses from his website.

Surprised he doesn't have more of a presence here with something that does so much (IMO) for so little cost

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Am I missing something here or did Gottis Garage posts get deleted? I just inquired and bought one of his harnesses from his website.

Surprised he doesn't have more of a presence here with something that does so much (IMO) for so little cost

I don't know what happened to his post. Maybe he deleted it for some reason. Maybe this forum shut him off because he didn't or wouldn't pay to be a vendor.

I did my mod in 2016. His mod came recently and is the same but he made a harness for it, his looks like a good one.

Yes, too bad he's not more of a presence as he has a good product

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I can fully, and i mean fully disable TC, and ESC with the Tazer from Zautomotive.

The Tazer has a feature called "TC KILL".

Once this option was selected. as long as i was in drive i could press and hold the TC button. First notification i get is the TC has been turned off, followed by ESC being turned off. Then i get the yellow ABS light. which confirms all traction aids have been disabled.

From there i can spin the tires till my hearts content! :)

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found his website and put an order in for one, been a few days, no word yet, hopefully he is still making them.

I can fully, and i mean fully disable TC, and ESC with the Tazer from Zautomotive.

The Tazer has a feature called "TC KILL".

Once this option was selected. as long as i was in drive i could press and hold the TC button. First notification i get is the TC has been turned off, followed by ESC being turned off. Then i get the yellow ABS light. which confirms all traction aids have been disabled.

From there i can spin the tires till my hearts content! :)

Lot of money just to kill the TC, hopefully I can get the harness for 35. Add my own and extra length of wire and switch and I'll be all good.

Last edited:

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I found his website and put an order in for one, been a few days, no word yet, hopefully he is still making them.

Lot of money just to kill the TC, hopefully I can get the harness for 35. Add my own and extra length of wire and switch and I'll be all good.
Oh yeah. It's expensive when you look at those switches that guy makes.

But the tazer can also correct the speedo for bigger tires, change axle ratio. TPMS thresholds. Kill auto park. Etc.

Not to mention the live features. 0 to 60 times, auto fold mirros.

If that isnt enough. They also have cool light shows which you can configure to basically mimic emergency strobe lights. Which I find hilarious when someone decides to drive like a **** around you lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get Hptuners, then you have two ways of doing it.

Permanently simply changing the displacement value of your engine from 6.4/5.7/3.6 etc to 0 in your calibration with the VCM HPT Editor. Doing it this way will permanently disable your traction control in full until you change the value back to the original displacement in the tune
View attachment 185416

Or temporalily doing it with VCM HPT scanner, you simply toggle a switch to enable/disable traction control. This is not permanent. If you disabled it this way, once you turn off the vehicle the setting should get re-enable by itself after you start the engine the next time. That means you have to have your HPT device and laptop handy everytime you want to disable the setting.

Haha thats exactly what i did been two years have no tc and lovin every minute .. zeroing out the displacement seems weird but thanks hpt lol..

I think it also keeps your throttle body from closing when shifting gears.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha thats exactly what i did been two years have no tc and lovin every minute .. zeroing out the displacement seems weird but thanks hpt lol..

I think it also keeps your throttle body from closing when shifting gears.

Good option as well (I'll eventually get HP Tuners) tho that means I have to have my laptop connected on the fly to do this. With the harness I can toggle on and off in a second without needing a laptop handy.

I received shipping confirmation for the harness, looking forward to trying it out soon.

Last edited:

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good option as well (I'll eventually get HP Tuners) tho that means I have to have my laptop connected on the fly to do this. With the harness I can toggle on and off in a second without needing a laptop handy.

I received shipping confirmation for the harness, looking forward to trying it out soon.

is this for a 18 Ram?? U going to need a bypass cable. Dont get the hptuners it requires you to remove the whole center consol to install there bypass behind the radio .. get the unlocked pcm and bypass cable from diablo there cable has a connector hooks up to an empty slot under the steering wheel took me 2 seconds to hook it up lol..i already had the old mpvi1 all i needed was to purchase credits for my ram.. also no need to buy new hpt hardware just get a used one from ebay same thing waaaay cheaper..