DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgtr20xdc250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went by dealer last week and had BCM flashed free (they said it wouldn`t work until they saw the blue screen pop up). Just installed latch and camera that came this afternoon thought I would be lucky since I had 8 wires at the connector coming to the power tailgate latch. Now all I need is for my harness to get here so I can finish it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just had my camera woken up by the dealer, and I too have the backup camera screen with no distance grid lines. I checked the settings in the radio, and all I see is a rear view backup camera delay and a hill assist under driver assistance. No lines whether I have the delay checked or not.

Where is this setting located? Is there a delay before it appears as an option? If the option is not listed in my settings, any idea what could be wrong?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The 8.4" radios don't have a menu option, as the lines are always on. The 5.0 radios have the option to disable the lines, which are disabled by default.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rocky_Ridge_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I have the 8.4N and have no lines... do we know where it may have gone wrong for me? I just need to know if it's something I did in the install or something the dealer forgot to do in the wake up?

thanks!

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So if I have the 8.4N and have no lines... do we know where it may have gone wrong for me? I just need to know if it's something I did in the install or something the dealer forgot to do in the wake up?

thanks!

If the camera works, then the lines should work. The lines are from the brown wire in the chassis harness.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rocky_Ridge_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update - So here was the sequence of events since my last post:

1. (Previously) Dealer woke up camera - Crystal clear picture with surroundings warning and no distance lines.
2. Checked brown wire on harness. Wasn't pushed in all the way at the front connector behind the driver's side front wheel. Pushed it further in. - Picture was scrambled but could see distance lines.
3. Rechecked and reconnected all wiring harness connections - No picture, no distance lines, and just the surroundings warning.
4. Took a break out of frustration.:flame:
5. Disconnected and reconnected wiring harness at tailgate and at front driver's side. Took off white plates, pushed all wires in as far as they'd go in (you hear a click) and replaced the white plates. - Crystal clear picture with surroundings warning and distance lines. *Overwhelming rewarding feeling* :)

Conclusion - Brown wire wasn't pushed in enough through the back of connector at the front of the truck. When I adjusted it, I must've accidentally pulled on the picture wire(s) during the adjustment and caused a weaker connection. So it is possible to have a crystal clear picture with no distance lines scenario with the 8.4N. I'm just glad I didn't have to rip open the console to troubleshoot this issue.

BTW - If you have a similar setup to me with the center console and bucket seats, there are more bolts than the video on youtube suggests. There are the 2 up top indicated in the video, there is one behind the little cubby on the passenger side of the center console behind the rubber insert, and 2 more bolts under the large rubber insert near the trailer brake and other controls. Hopefully, this tip will save some broken dash plastic and/or frustration.

Note - there is no option on the 8.4N to enable/disable the distance lines. So this confirms what jeepguy_1980 stated in the thread regarding this, and I also want to thank jeepguy_1980 for telling me what wire was the distance lines. jeepguy_1980 - Wiring on vehicles can be very frustrating and temperamental, and your dedication and support behind this DIY OEM Backup Camera is commendable and greatly appreciated by many. Thanks again! :)

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi. This is my first post here and sorry to make it a question but will there be any more of the custom harnesses any time soon? And I keep seeing these kits, can anyone tell me if this is a plausible solution?
Link:
DODGE RAM OEM Backup Camera System

I hope it is OK to post any kind of link here to ask a question. If not I will remove it. I am just not sure what steps to take to get this working in an easy fashion. My dealer wants 850$ to add for me.

MrJTM7007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ramharness.com Great write-up & works just as described. 1 hr install and $50 @ dealer for flash. My total cost was around $390 installed myself.

Eraser8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
Hi Guys, Jeepguy_1980,

Just to let you know that I gone with the new Mopar camera kit #82214240. The reason is simple. $$$$ I hesitated long time between the RamHarness/AllMoparParts kit because I like DIY and I really appreciate the job that Jeepguy done about that. But for me, it was a differrence of about more than 150$ for your kit and this is due to the shipping/custom fees. So, I decided to go with the Mopar kit which, I hope, will not be too hard for the installation. I tried to find the PDF installation document for this but I could not find it. Maybe because it's a new kit and the PDF is not online yet.

I ordered it yesterday so I will probably received it next week or two. If you want, I can come back after the installation and give you more feedback about that.

Congrat to JeepGuy to find a simple solution to add backup camera. Each time I talk about that to car professional, they always says "this cannot work, you absolutely need the Nav-tv controler to bypass the radio, bla bla bla"... It make me laught!!!

Have a nive days everyone!

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Hi Guys, Jeepguy_1980,

Just to let you know that I gone with the new Mopar camera kit #82214240. The reason is simple. $$$$ I hesitated long time between the RamHarness/AllMoparParts kit because I like DIY and I really appreciate the job that Jeepguy done about that. But for me, it was a differrence of about more than 150$ for your kit and this is due to the shipping/custom fees. So, I decided to go with the Mopar kit which, I hope, will not be too hard for the installation. I tried to find the PDF installation document for this but I could not find it. Maybe because it's a new kit and the PDF is not online yet.

I ordered it yesterday so I will probably received it next week or two. If you want, I can come back after the installation and give you more feedback about that.

Congrat to JeepGuy to find a simple solution to add backup camera. Each time I talk about that to car professional, they always says "this cannot work, you absolutely need the Nav-tv controler to bypass the radio, bla bla bla"... It make me laught!!!

Have a nive days everyone!
Let us know how it goes. I might have to get the mopar kit too.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Says none in stock.

I also did the ramharness install. Works perfect. Jeepguy is who makes the harnesses on that site. Once he has more made, he will have them back available to order. I had to wait about a week to order mine when I needed it.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I also did the ramharness install. Works perfect. Jeepguy is who makes the harnesses on that site. Once he has more made, he will have them back available to order. I had to wait about a week to order mine when I needed it.

Thanks for reply. I took a leap and ordered the kit from emerald integrations being that I have no patience and some of the steps look to be a little above my pay grade. I'll let you know how works out.

millerbjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After I made my order I did a quick search and it seems someone (the same person in all instance) had complained that they never received a product and was never contacted back when he wrote and called. In my case I have received numerous reply emails when I asked questions. When asked about the complaint the company says that anyone can write a complaint and that they were all written by same person. I requested tracking on my order and so far have received updates on shipping. It hasn't left California yet but has went thru 2 checkpoints. I will update as it is received and tested. There is similar complaint on the company you listed. My provider does have an eBay store also with all positive feedback, so hopefully it's legit.

Edit: item received quickly. Was worried a bit but I did get it. I'll make another update when I get it installed. I'm sure quality will not be as good but if it works then it's good enough for me right now.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
RadioPic_zps038c835e.jpg
I had mine flashed today, they had problems getting the lines to work and said they dont work with this. I told them to see the settings in the computer to find them, well long story short they took it back in and found the settings and fixed it, also had the DRL turned on. $56 per flash it sucks but they work!

domdep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
This is my first post here. I just switched over from a 2008 ford f350 to a new 2014 Ram 2500 Slt with a cummings. I bought the ram harness and the back up camara but, I have ran into an issue. Where I installed the pins at the plug by the front left tire. There is not a wire on the male side of the plug. Where the white is located. Has anyone else had this problem. Please help!

domdep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20140919_173127.jpg
    20140919_173127.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 20140919_180211.jpg
    20140919_180211.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 20140919_173150.jpg
    20140919_173150.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 157

Eraser8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
Let us know how it goes. I might have to get the mopar kit too.

Hi All,

I finally get the Mopar kit. Yesterday night (and also during night) I installed the tailgate stuff (new handle with camera and new tailgate harness) plus the long harness that goes from the back end throught the front in-cab. To installed the long harness, at the back of the truck connecting the tailgate, you need to remove the current 2 wires from the existing connector which control the tailgate lock and insert them to the new connector that is 1 of the end of the long harness. After that, I follow the existing harness to route the new one and zip tie the new one perfectly (A lot of zip tie come in the box).

Ok the next step. The instructions said to route the harness to the front of the cab under the hood. After that, 1 wire need to get up behind the battery and follow the side of the frame between the battery and the frame until reach the PDC (Power Distribution Center or if you prefer, the fuse box). It said to turn the fuse box and a solder is required one a specific wire. After that, it said to insert the rest of the harnes throught the large grommet which is located at the back of the battery to go inside the cab. At the inside, there is another solder to do at this point on a specific wire on the connector C5 on the PCM. In brief, I have not followed these two step because I didn't like these two solder location.

Instead of goinf to the front, I route the harness throught the cab using a hole under the back seat on driver side. After that, I found the exact circuits number with corresponding wire in the wire bundle that pass on the side of the door under the sill trim. After that, I routed the harness throught the front of the cab using the rear sill and front sill on driver side. I connected the ground wire there and now this is where I am. I will finish the installation at noon and will come back to let you know if it works.

I hope :)

Status
Not open for further replies.