DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The 2013 Express and Tradesman, don't have any wires in the factory harness. This means that they have to run wires through the firewall and to the fuse panel.

I had one SLT that was like the 2013 Express, but I'm beginning to think that was an anamoly, since every other SLT is wired like a Big Horn.

The really strange thing was that the person actually had Big Horn badges on his truck. I ran the VIN and saw that he actually had a "Big Horn Appearance" package.
Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi All,

I got 2013 Big Horn. Went to first dealer, he refused to do the flash "we don't do that kind of stuff and Ram doesn't like us to make adjustments to the software etc etc blah".

Went to second dealer in the area, these guys are much more friendly than the first, BUT: the technician there saying that he tried to flash it, but it won't take it.. he tried to re-download software/something etc etc, but it won't do it, he tried several different ways, Then, they contacted Engineering who told them that they can't do it without BCM Module (additional module maybe?) and that the camera has to be installed or otherwise it won't flash... and that for some Mopar cameras you won't even need to flash it and they'll add to the system by themselves... they said they asked few different technicians to try this process, but they can't flash it.

What kind of BS is this? My truck is still at that shop, what can i tell them to help them figure this out, or make them do it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hello,

A follow up post for my post next above.

I stop by dealer to pick up my truck today and get additional info.

The dealer sales rep said that they tried to flash it with the XAC code, but it would not take it. He said they tried a few times different ways.

After i explained to the sales rep exactly what i'm trying to do, that i have Mopar camera, custom harness and they have to enable the camera, he said that it's sort of a "modification" and they usually are not allowed to do that, and they don't know how to do that. Their Foreman didn't know... even though i specifically made a note for him "Ask them to add sales codes "XAC" to your VIN and re-flash the BCM. "

So - they said that if i get them additional instructions on how to do it, then may be able to give it another shot.

I also want to mention, that another dealer whom i asked to do the XAC code flash in the past, and who refused to do it, they instead did a regular Recall update on the computer - could that maybe did something that won't allow XAC code to be put-in?

Could anyone provide additional instructions that i can pass on to the dealership tech so they can try to flash it again?

Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello,

A follow up post for my post next above.

I stop by dealer to pick up my truck today and get additional info.

The dealer sales rep said that they tried to flash it with the XAC code, but it would not take it. He said they tried a few times different ways.

After i explained to the sales rep exactly what i'm trying to do, that i have Mopar camera, custom harness and they have to enable the camera, he said that it's sort of a "modification" and they usually are not allowed to do that, and they don't know how to do that. Their Foreman didn't know... even though i specifically made a note for him "Ask them to add sales codes "XAC" to your VIN and re-flash the BCM. "

So - they said that if i get them additional instructions on how to do it, then may be able to give it another shot.

I also want to mention, that another dealer whom i asked to do the XAC code flash in the past, and who refused to do it, they instead did a regular Recall update on the computer - could that maybe did something that won't allow XAC code to be put-in?

Could anyone provide additional instructions that i can pass on to the dealership tech so they can try to flash it again?

Thank you in advance.

The flash is a 2-step process. First, the dealer adds XAC to your VIN. Then the dealer downloads your BCM code from Chrysler and reflashes the BCM.

The code XAC is one of the only codes the dealer is allowed to add to your VIN. Chrysler explicitly selects the codes the dealer can add, so they are wrong when they claim they cannot do it.

That said, only certain people at the dealer even have accounts that can add codes. It's usually the service writer.

They don't have to flash or touch it. They couldn't flash the actual camera if they wanted to.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@kap1,
At the end of Chrysler's OWN install directions for the standard Parkview RearView Camera dealer option for Uc 3.0 Radios are the official directions for flashing the xac code. Here's a copy...
ParkView CamNoMic K6861692
Look at and print out page 23 (with steps 68 - 72) and take it to them. As Jeepguy1980 says that is all they have to do and they should know how to do it.
Keep in mind that only the steps for the code flash apply and the rest has nothing to do with Jeepguy1980's install, follow his steps with his harness, etc.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
@kap1,
At the end of Chrysler's OWN install directions for the standard Parkview RearView Camera dealer option for Uc 3.0 Radios are the official directions for flashing the xac code. Here's a copy...
ParkView CamNoMic K6861692
Look at and print out page 23 (with steps 68 - 72) and take it to them. As Jeepguy1980 says that is all they have to do and they should know how to do it.
Keep in mind that only the steps for the code flash apply and the rest has nothing to do with Jeepguy1980's install, follow his steps with his harness, etc.

Thanks for that. I was trying to find that document for Kap1 earlier, to show him the same thing. I just couldn't find it.

Cannibul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Without reading every post in this thread will this method work with a 2500?

Also is there anyone around Dallas Texas that would like to make $100 installing this?

I'm a 100% disabled Veteran and have mobility problems.

MattACJDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PentaStar 3.6L V6
I can confirm 2014 Ram 1500 3.6L Crew Cab

Ok. I can confirm that this install works on my 2014 Ram 1500 3.6L Crew Cab Big Horn SLT. The problem is it does not show the GRID LINES. Does anyone know why or have a fix for it?

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok. I can confirm that this install works on my 2014 Ram 1500 3.6L Crew Cab Big Horn SLT. The problem is it does not show the GRID LINES. Does anyone know why or have a fix for it?

You need to enable them in your radio's menu.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Also is there anyone around Dallas Texas that would like to make $100 installing this?

This works on the 2500 and 3500s.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Not sure how far Fort Worth is from you, but ALLEN SAMUELS DODGE in Fort Worth has bought a few harnesses and knows how to install them.

Cannibul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not sure how far Fort Worth is from you, but ALLEN SAMUELS DODGE in Fort Worth has bought a few harnesses and knows how to install them.

I'm on the other side of Dallas. FW is about 85 miles.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel

Odd. The thread where I asked if I should pay it or do it myself was because I talked to Allen Samuels and they priced it at that point. Said they found a way to do it and blah blah but are charging a small mint to do it.
Ps thats where I bought mine

Sent from this thing in my hand

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered my harness and got some beer for the crew helping me. I'm going to do this while adding the factory trailer brake since I will have the dash torn apart anyway. Next weekend will be fun. I will post up the results when I'm done. Thanks again JeepGuy.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@rc,
Getting one of the connectors apart can be a bit of a pain, but I have some pictures of the lock points and what the connectors look like with the wires added afterwards in my post here that you may find helpful.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
@rc,
Getting one of the connectors apart can be a bit of a pain, but I have some pictures of the lock points and what the connectors look like with the wires added afterwards in my post here that you may find helpful.

I just did a truck last weekend and that picture was money. It made opening the connector simple.

I included it in my directions.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@rc,

Thanks a bunch dude. This helps. I will drink one in your honor!!!:happy160:

Status
Not open for further replies.