DIY 5.0 to 8.4 Navigation upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yeah I have 90 days and I just got it last week so I have some time, gonna try some 14 and 16 software updates tonight and see if that works. I really could care less about the uconnect stuff also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can' t say I blame you there it can and has been done though. There is a thread on the other forum where a guy did exactly what you did and got uconnent to switch his account to the new radio. Just fyi

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Yeah I have 90 days and I just got it last week so I have some time, gonna try some 14 and 16 software updates tonight and see if that works. I really could care less about the uconnect stuff also.

I wasnt concerned about uconnect either. Most people said it sucks, the app is terrible, remote start by phone never works. Yea, I ain't paying for that.

-JT

Last edited:

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah my only concern right now is getting the software updated, if I get that done successfully then I'm good, I would not use the u connect stuff anyways. Hopefully I'm successful this after work today, I'll let you guys know

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Send it back before you lose the chance and your out of your return

The tag feature and album art is only on 2015 and up radios. I wouldn't even mess with the 13 and 14 firmware. Just my 2 cents. At least you can send it back if it won't update. One other idea. Did you try looking up the Firmware version that is in the radio now? You might be able to tell if it came out of a different vehicle by searching the Firmware version that is in the radio now and see if anything pops up on a forum for another vehicle likea Jeep or Charger ect. I am not sure if you already did that or not. Also I think if you call Sirus they might be able to tell you what the radio came in. When I renewed my subscription they sent me a letter telling me to enjoy my 2014 Longhorn. I guess there records showed that's what my radio came out of which is correct. Just throwing some ideas out there for you....good luck keep us posted.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ricksrams post above is good to know info ...

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
So my harness should be in today, then I can start my install. Pretty excited. Just talked to schram and he found a non dual zone bezel from a 2013 Part #1UJ96DX9AC. So I think that's what I need. I'll just use the dual zone one until the new one gets in and swap them out.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I posted this in another thread but want to mention it here also...

I've mentioned this before, but maybe someone will consider it now since some are having issues with updated software. Unless I am misunderstanding the situation ...

** Will someone start a separate thread to host the software update file zips for the various 8.4AN's so people can roll back to previous versions as needed?

Mediafire or similar should work. This would make it easier for others to stop chasing down various VINs to use for updates also.

Hopefully someone with several of the files can do it with other files coming from forum members PM'd to the OP.

- 2013 8.4AN (RA4/VP4 NA, p/n)
v.XX
v.XX
etc.

- 2014 8.4AN (RA4/VP4 NA, p/n)
v.XX
v.XX
etc.

- 2015 8.4AN (RA4/VP4 NA, p/n)
v.XX
v.XX
etc.

- 2016 8.4AN (RA4/VP4 NA, p/n)
v.XX
v.XX
etc.

- Update directions
- useful info, i.e. format minimum 4 GB drive as fat32 vs NTFS, etc

PS:
I'm curious if the files for 2013, 2014, 2015 RA4's with the same fw versions (i.e. v14.25.5) have the same MD5 code or not.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i did my swap today, overall not too hard. I didn't put everything together since I have a new bezel coming and my harness had a loose cable I need to find out if I can fix it or replace it.

Anyone know how to get the gps to lock onto my location?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It should acquire your location automatically. You may need to adjust the NAV settings for your area of the country. I think mine defaulted to Texas when I first installed it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the only thing I'm having issues with now is my auto headlights are not working and the dimming switch for my inside lights isn't working as well.

Any ideas?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Check the settings in the radio

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw some settings with day/night mode for the display, but nothing for the headlights. So my auto headlights don't work. I took a drive around and my AC doesn't work either, just blows the fan. Think I need my harness replaced.

Why would my auto headlights not work?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does any one know where anyone could find an adapter harness for a 2014 with a seven speed fan for the RA4AN UPGRADE ? Seems to be a hot item needed by several people. ..

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw some settings with day/night mode for the display, but nothing for the headlights. So my auto headlights don't work. I took a drive around and my AC doesn't work either, just blows the fan. Think I need my harness replaced.

Why would my auto headlights not work

Yea it kinda sounds like your harness might be wired wrong. Maybe you can check it against the printout in the D.Y.I section. Not sure why the auto headlights won't work. I would check fuses in case the harness somehow shorted it out. I would also stick the stock radio and climate control back.in and see if you get your functions back.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine

Why would my auto headlights not work?
The photo (sunload) sensor in the dash and auto headlamp curcuit has wires in the radio/HVAC harness. Your harness sounds jacked.

-JT

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The photo (sunload) sensor in the dash and auto headlamp curcuit has wires in the radio/HVAC harness. Your harness sounds jacked.

-JT

I know when I hooked mine all up the check engine light came on and stayed on for a while. The heated mirror switch blinked on and off for several cycles then everything went back to normal and has worked fine since then. It did make me a little nervous for a few minutes.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is cuylertech not selling harnesses anymore? Him and getupkid are the only folks I know of that make them.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The basic conversion harness as it was designed is for an express, tradesman etc, which do not come with auto-dimming headlights etc. There are a possible 24 wires in the harness and not all the cavities in the harness are populated. I would suggest looking at the pin-out for the 24 pin plug going into the module for your truck and see if more wires need to be added to the harness.

On a side note I have received emails from folks that have been having problems with their harnesses, with bad connections, my hazard lights do not function etc. Since I personally did not build and sell them these harnesses I cannot diagnose them. I will point out that these connectors and pins are very small and not that easy to work with, when a harness is built it should be tested for continuity circuit by circuit.

I have been asked to make harnesses for folks and do not wish to go down that road as it is a lot of responsibility in the event something went awry. For those who are having issues with their bought harness including the above poster you should contact the individual you purchased it from.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The basic conversion harness as it was designed is for an express, tradesman etc, which do not come with auto-dimming headlights etc. There are a possible 24 wires in the harness and not all the cavities in the harness are populated. I would suggest looking at the pin-out for the 24 pin plug going into the module for your truck and see if more wires need to be added to the harness.

On a side note I have received emails from folks that have been having problems with their harnesses, with bad connections, my hazard lights do not function etc. Since I personally did not build and sell them these harnesses I cannot diagnose them. I will point out that these connectors and pins are very small and not that easy to work with, when a harness is built it should be tested for continuity circuit by circuit.

I have been asked to make harnesses for folks and do not wish to go down that road as it is a lot of responsibility in the event something went awry. For those who are having issues with their bought harness including the above poster you should contact the individual you purchased it from.
I'm not sure about all model years and such, but I have a 2014 2500 tradesman and I have auto headlights and my swap worked out just fine. So I would guess it is a wiring issue rather than missing wires unless the person who made it purposely left wires out of the harness.

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm getting a replacement harness, so hopefully everything works out fine with the new one

Status
Not open for further replies.