do bug deflectors actually do anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Or are they just for looks? I can't see how that little piece of plastic could stop a bug from hitting anywhere but under that little piece of plastic. If they make some kind of air shield or something left me know.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
They will save the edge of your hood from chips. However, I don't use them because I've seen rocks hit them and deflect right into the windshield. IMO getting a clear 3M stick on bug shield would be a better protectant.

breg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At speeds they create an air shield that will deflect most smaller bugs up. Big ones are still gonna get make it through.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They'll make your windshield sprayers practically useless unless you're parked.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They work. Never used one until recently. Got the EGR full version and it prevented bugs hitting the hood. Tested also,as we recently had our second love bug season come to an end.
However, it looks as ugly as ****.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
They will save the edge of your hood from chips. However, I don't use them because I've seen rocks hit them and deflect right into the windshield. IMO getting a clear 3M stick on bug shield would be a better protectant.

I live in southern Alberta. I've seen 3/8" gravel flying around in the wind. No BUG SCREEN gonna stop them from hitting you. :roflsquared:

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I live in southern Alberta. I've seen 3/8" gravel flying around in the wind. No BUG SCREEN gonna stop them from hitting you. :roflsquared:

I thought in Alberta it wAs required to have a cracked windshield? Haha

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When installed properly, they will work good on small insects and grit/very small rocks. I have a chrome one on my truck, works very well and I have never had a problem using my windshield wiper washer at speeds under 50MPH.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Soon as I get the paint fixed I'm putting one on. If it deflects rocks into the windshield, big deal, insurance company takes care of windshield rock chips "free" with comprehensive insurance. The paint is on me to fix however.

Attachments

• KIMG0101.jpg
    KIMG0101.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 79

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just be careful about these **** metal clips they use to hold each side onto the hood. I used two additional layers of clear film and even expanded the supplied ***** clips.

Darrell85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just be careful about these **** metal clips they use to hold each side onto the hood. I used two additional layers of clear film and even expanded the supplied ***** clips.

Yeah I almost lost mine using a pressure washer after a mud bogging adventure