Do I need 10-plys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
I've watched a scary video published by an RV dealer (which I take with a pinch of salt) showing a light truck with P tires. The truck's performance going through a slalom with an Airstream behind it is not-so-great. I understand I won't be driving a slalom or two whilst towing, but they're demonstrating what will happen in an emergency maneuver.

I'll be towing 3000lbs without a WDH. Should I ditch the factory tires and upgrade?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I absolutely hated the P rated tires on my truck, they squirm around under weight and IMO should not be on a truck.

A , D rated or E rated tire is the way to IMO.
I have E rated on now.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Better safe and satisfied than money spent and unhappy X's 2

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
I absolutely hated the P rated tires on my truck, they squirm around under weight and IMO should not be on a truck.

I have E rated on now.

Even if towing just 3000lbs?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I just did not like them even with less weight then that.
Now I did have 17" rims so I had more side wall to flex and squirm then guys with 20" rims so that might be part of it.

I did mot mind the tread pattern on tires and was going to put them on my Explorer but they were to big for it, felt they would be fine on a lighter SUV and one that did not haul much.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll be towing 3000lbs without a WDH. Should I ditch the factory tires and upgrade?

There is guys towing double that on the factory SRA tires with no issues. For most conversions, a 3K trailer is not much different than having 500 lbs in the bed.
As long as your tires are in good shape and properly inflated, I wouldn't worry about them. With some of the idiots on the road, you'll have enough to worry about dealing with them.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I would Run the standard load tires until they are worn out. I got the best results with wear etc towing at 39 psi 20” rims. Used up many sets towing. Max psi most Mfgs is 44.

When replacing them consider an XL load it’s firmer and has an extra side wall for towing with a half ton. I’ve towed with many sets of these. Got the best results wear etc at 44-45 psi. Max psi most Mfgs is 51.

If your truck & trailer are properly loaded and WDH used with TW in the 10 to 15 percent range. You really won’t see a benefit below 2,000 pounds a tire or 8k on your truck axles with an E load. At least that is my experience. And you can’t safely load more than that on a half ton as you are over axles, suspension, brakes. So they just end up being more expensive, heavier, and harsher riding even when aired down to 45 psi with no discernible benefit.

They may help minimize some sway or slop that wouldn’t be there in the first place with any reasonable set up as described above.

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

I have E rated on now.
What 69GWC said. With an exclamation point! Almost ended up in the weeds once due to P-car tires. Went to 10 ply mudders and never looked back. Current rig is '17 2500, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4, CC, 8'Bed. Long ass truck. I keep the rears at 80 psi (factory) but fronts at 80 also (factory says 65). 65 psi feels squirrelly in any type of semi emergency maneuver. Ask me how I know. Currently running Firestone Destination M/T2's. Been running mud tires on the street for 20 some yrs. Great in snow and rain. Far better that the crap A/T tires it came with. Those spin just breathing on the long skinny pedal. I put up with more minor discomfort than a lot of guys so I know they will absolutely do what I need them to with no advance notice or psi adjustment. I'm kinda **** about the performance of anything that might have to keep me alive.. Guns are clean, knives are sharp, phone is charged and mudders are hard. Try 'em, you might like 'em.

Last edited:

Ramsolid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 v8 gasser
Upgrade! Imo the P rated shouldn't be on a light duty truck , I went thru 3 in 1 year just on city and highway.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What 69GWC said. With an exclamation point! Almost ended up in the weeds once due to P-car tires. Went to 10 ply mudders and never looked back. Current rig is '17 2500, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4, CC, 8'Bed. Long ass truck. I keep the rears at 80 psi (factory) but fronts at 80 also (factory says 65). 65 psi feels squirrelly in any type of semi emergency maneuver. Ask me how I know. Currently running Firestone Destination M/T2's. Been running mud tires on the street for 20 some yrs. Great in snow and rain. Far better that the crap A/T tires it came with. Those spin just breathing on the long skinny pedal. I put up with more minor discomfort than a lot of guys so I know they will absolutely do what I need them to with no advance notice or psi adjustment. I'm kinda **** about the performance of anything that might have to keep me alive.. Guns are clean, knives are sharp, phone is charged and mudders are hard. Try 'em, you might like 'em.

I've towed over 15,000 miles with P rated tires on my half ton, including over slush and ice, and never once ended up in the weeds. That was on the stock SR-As.

I would Run the standard load tires until they are worn out. I got the best results with wear etc towing at 39 psi 20” rims. Used up many sets towing. Max psi most Mfgs is 44.

When replacing them consider an XL load it’s firmer for towing with a half ton. I’ve towed with many sets of these. Got the best results wear etc at 44-45 psi. Max psi most Mfgs is 51.

If your truck & trailer are properly loaded and WDH used with TW in the 10 to 15 percent range. You really won’t see a benefit below 2,000 pounds a tire or 8k on your truck axles with an E load. At least that is my experience. And you can’t safely load more than that on a half ton as you are over axles, suspension, brakes. So they just end up being more expensive, heavier, and harsher riding even when aired down to 45 psi with no discernible benefit.

They may help minimize some sway or slop that wouldn’t be there is the first place with any reasonable set up as described above.

X2. Voice of reason here. No need for a 10 ply unless you're in an HD. 3,000 pounds is nothing. Don't waste your money.

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6

When replacing them consider an XL load it’s firmer for towing with a half ton. I’ve towed with many sets of these. Got the best results wear etc at 44-45 psi. Max psi most Mfgs is 51.

They may help minimize some sway or slop that wouldn’t be there is the first place with any reasonable set up as described above.

I'll run the stock until they're worn (got a few KMs to go there).

I have 17" rims if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6

So you're recommending I update my v6 1500 to a 2500 with 6.4 HEMI and mudder tires to tow 3000lbs? ;)

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
Upgrade! Imo the P rated shouldn't be on a light duty truck , I went thru 3 in 1 year just on city and highway.

I've done 50K/km on mine so far without any major wear. How far did you have to travel to use up three pairs?

I will be buying winter tires this coming winter. I live in Southern Ontario and the stock tires are just *awful* in winter, despite being M+S.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
sounds like you want to upgrade and are looking for justification to do so.. lol.. just do it

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I've towed over 15,000 miles with P rated tires on my half ton, including over slush and ice, and never once ended up in the weeds. That was on the stock SR-As.

X2. Voice of reason here. No need for a 10 ply unless you're in an HD. 3,000 pounds is nothing. Don't waste your money.
Don't misunderstand me, I know my M/T's
are not "necessary", just my preference based on my own experience. And I do drive an HD. 2500 CC w/ 8' bed. I drive it hard and fast when not towing. Oh yeah, I never went into the weeds. Saved it with no help from the tires. Glad you never found the weeds either.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So you're recommending I update my v6 1500 to a 2500 with 6.4 HEMI and mudder tires to tow 3000lbs? ;)
Not at all. Just showing you how much I like 10 ply tires. I've had them on my last 3 1/2 Ton trucks too. Wouldn't have known how much better they work for my driving style if I never tried them. You don't "need" them for towing 3k lbs. I just feel safer with them on my trucks. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Thats correct you dont need 8ply or 10plys, if everyone likes running the bare minimum plys more power to them.
I dont , did not like how ****** they handled the load and the fact IMO they are not a good tire for a heavy truck that does work from time to time.
I have had cheap tires blow out while doing hwy speeds and if I can avoid that by buying better tires I will do so.

I find it funny though how most everyone's allways on someones ass about not having enough truck to do the job yet ****** Car tires are fine on a truck... lol
:cheers:

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
Thanks for all the input.

This might turn into a religious war, but are there any recommendations on what I should upgrade to? Something that handles an Ontario winter would be good (it would save having to buy separate snow tires). I'm not putting on mudders given the truck is mainly used to drive my boy to school. And please don't recommend I upgrade to a 3500 dually ;)

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 10 ply Nitto Terra Grapplers. (LT275/60 R20) Which I don't think they make in a 10 ply anymore? Anyways, Ive had these on my last 3 trucks and they do great in WV winters, handle awesome in the rain, and I think they are smoother and quieter then the junk wranglers that came on the truck.