My Cooper Discoverers went to Tire Heaven, now have Nitto DuraGrappler highway tread. Did I do OK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Cooper Discoverer AT's LT265/70R17 (E rated) that I got at WalMart a few years ago lived to the ripe old age of just shy of 81,000 miles. They were worn right down to the wear bars.

My wife has to take the truck out of state, so I was scrambling to find some replacement tires and Walmart had some Cooper LT's but they wouldn't be available before she had to leave.

So, after checking around and finding out how stupid prices have become on tires, I finally contacted Tire Kingdom (now Mavis).

The gentleman I got at the call center said he could hook me up with some P rated Nitto DuraGrapplers for $698 pre-tax, mounted and road hazard. So I set up the appointment.

When I arrived, the gentleman told me that the total was $870. I said that wasn't the price I was quoted. He said no way he could sell the tires that cheap, so after me almost walking out, he got the price down to $820 out the door. I was in a pinch, so I agreed.

I was still kind of pissed off about it, so while my truck was up on the lift, I looked up the number for the call center and called them. The lady verified the quote and the pricing that I was given and said the store had to sell them for the price that I was quoted. There was no mistake and it was a valid quote. She even called the location for me.

There was a couple fees that I wasn't told on the original quote (valve stem kit and recycling) which came out to about $55. My email confirmation for the quote didn't have any pricing on it, but the lady told me that when they pull up the quote on their screen it should have all the pricing that I was given, so the guy was trying to screw me.

Anyways, I walked out of there paying $777. Sorry for the long read, did I do ok?

Btw, the tires don't look all that bad and they ride great, IMO.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good job sticking to yer guns

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mavis attempted to do me the same way. Walmart the AT3’s were $645. Mavis $1300
Side story. My brother in law was half owner of a tire store bought out by Mavis. He continued working there after his buyout. They pressured him to upsell and accessory sell and threatened him when he wouldn’t. Needless to say he eventually waved a one finger salute and walked away. Can’t say I’ve had any good experience with them.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Interesting. Mavis actually did me ok, it was the person at the formerly Tire Kingdom that tried to screw me.

The person I spoke with at the call center said that when the branch pulls up the quote, the prices are listed. Was quoted $134.99 per tire, and branch guy said he couldnt sell them for that.

My confirmation email didn't have pricing, which concerned me a bit. The call center confirmed that the pricing I was given was correct, and not a mistake.

I am glad I made the callback, I was going to settle for the $819 that the branch guy gave me when I was going to walk.

Makes me wonder if he might have been skimming. I never saw the quote on his computer either. I hate to think things like that, but my brain operates that way sometimes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat