Do I/we have a Dodge Ram vs RAM vs Dodge Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
My 2014 Ram 150o is registered with the PA DMV as a Dodge TK, no mention of Ram even though there are no Dodge badges on the truck (see copy of an old registration attached). Being a little OCD, it bothers me some but no big deal really. The VIN and ecerything else is correct so...

Attachments

• 2022 Registration.JPG
    2022 Registration.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 10

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first year for Ram as a stand-alone brand was 2011. The Dodge nameplate formally went away for the 1500, 2500 and 3500, plus the Dakota, that year. Although the Dodge brand is still represented in the interior of those vehicles via a nameplate on the dash.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It kind of caught me by surprise too. I guess it happened back in 2009 and I didn’t get the memo - or forgot I got it.
Well rats, now I can’t channel the little old lady from the ‘60’s commercials and say “Put a Dodge in your garage, honey!” when I suggest the person asking about my truck get one.

Last edited:

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Dodge RAM became just RAM starting in, I think, the 2010 model year.

That's interesting. Possibly they still had some dash panels left from the changeover and decided to save some money.
My 2010 says Dodge on the title, Dodge on the tailgate emblem. Dodge on the upper dash. RAM on the lower dash and RAM on the side.
20231023_131408.jpg
20231023_131006.jpg

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello all! I am new to this forum just having purchased a used 2022 RAM 1500. It is my first Dodge and so far so good. Likely a newbie question but I searched and can't yet find the answer. Long story short I went to the BMV for the creation of the new title and switching of plates. The BMV staffperson asked me if the truck "was a Dodge or a RAM"? I replied it was a "Dodge RAM" but she said it was not listed that way on the title, etc. and she is right it is just listed as a RAM 1500. Somebody behind me said that was the correct way and they somehow abandoned putting Dodge with the RAM or some other variant of that at some point in time? So the title still only says RAM 1500 and the more I look around at the truck everything is badged RAM and nothing Dodge. I am assuming there is a quick and easy answer to this and I thank anyone in advance for it. But even on this very forum I have seen the trucks described all three ways including what I originally thought myself "Dodge RAM"? Thanks again and looking forward to learning a lot on this forum!
One of FCA's worst marketing moves IMO.

Even most others who own Rams refer to them as Dodges.

Maybe I just don't understand the money-behind-the-curtains that made this happen. Stupid from my perspective (which, as we all know, is the only one that matters).

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One of FCA's worst marketing moves IMO.

Even most others who own Rams refer to them as Dodges.

Maybe I just don't understand the money-behind-the-curtains that made this happen. Stupid from my perspective (which, as we all know, is the only one that matters).
I actually haven't heard anyone refer to a 'RAM' as a 'Dodge' in quite a number of years.

rob47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, the only place I can find the word Dodge is the owners manual, the title/registration and the insurance paperwork.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So where does Stellantis play out in this discussion? Stellantis owns Ram now. FCA no longer owns the Ram truck line.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can be confusing
Dodge History

In 1948 - 1953, Dodge introduced a very stylish and modern truck, which the company called the B Series.

1954-1960 Dodge C Series Trucks​

The then known "double-rocker" V8, now referred to as a Hemi V8 made its debut as one of the engine choices for the Dodge C truck.
the '57's received an exterior freshening with hooded headlights and two-tone paint schemes being offered.

1961-1993 Dodge D Series / W Series Trucks​

Things get fuzzy in 1994​

i believe Dodge had a major make over, at the
North American International Auto Show
Dodge changed from the Letter Designation, to a Numbers designation
ie: Dodge Ram 1500

In 2009, they came out with the 4th Generation Dodge Ram 1500.
In 2010, the Heavy Duty Dodge Ram also switched over to the 4th Gen body style, 2500 - 5500 models

In 2013, Chrysler sold everything to FIAT & the corporation name was switched to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
at that time, Dodge was dropped from the name brand

Many aftermarket manufacturers have not chosen to drop the Dodge name, so naturally it has confused the public

Even this company has the Dodge Truck History confused

You may have forgotten about Stellantis. They bought FCA a few years ago.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I left that out, because the Name change from FCA to Stellantis, happened at least 5 years after the word Dodge was dropped from the trucks description.

more history,
By the way, just like FCA is a combination of FIAT/Chrysler automobiles

Chrysler is part of the Stellantis NV conglomerate as of 2023. Stellantis is the result of a merger between Fiat Chrysler and PSA Group, forming one of the largest automakers in the world. Stellantis owns several subsidiaries in addition to Fiat and Chrysler, including Comau, Teksid, Mopar and Maserati.

STELLANTIS: The name of the new group resulting from the merger of FCA and Groupe PSA
STELLANTIS is rooted in the Latin verb “stello” meaning “to brighten with stars”.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Back in the day , I had a couple Fargo’s the Canadian guy will know

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
STELLANTIS is rooted in the Latin verb “stello” meaning “to brighten with stars”.
If'a you give'a me any word, I give'a you the Greek root of'a that word. And spray some Windex on that.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I've expressed my opinion for years that this was a marketing faux pas. I hear "Dodge Ram" all the time at work when referring to Ram trucks post '09. People remain somewhat confused and that's never a good thing with brand identification and loyalty. I think it was a really dumb move, fixing what wasn't broken.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well at that time Crystal was broken, as where some others, ie GM.
Ram /Dodge trucks where the only division not about to go under, so Ram was split off so not get get dragged down.
That was my take on it.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've expressed my opinion for years that this was a marketing faux pas. I hear "Dodge Ram" all the time at work when referring to Ram trucks post '09. People remain somewhat confused and that's never a good thing with brand identification and loyalty. I think it was a really dumb move, fixing what wasn't broken.
It's just us old school people who keep tossing in the word Dodge. Give it another generation of truck owners and the name Dodge will not be used anymore when referring to a RAM.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Hello all! I am new to this forum just having purchased a used 2022 RAM 1500. It is my first Dodge and so far so good. Likely a newbie question but I searched and can't yet find the answer. Long story short I went to the BMV for the creation of the new title and switching of plates. The BMV staffperson asked me if the truck "was a Dodge or a RAM"? I replied it was a "Dodge RAM" but she said it was not listed that way on the title, etc. and she is right it is just listed as a RAM 1500. Somebody behind me said that was the correct way and they somehow abandoned putting Dodge with the RAM or some other variant of that at some point in time? So the title still only says RAM 1500 and the more I look around at the truck everything is badged RAM and nothing Dodge. I am assuming there is a quick and easy answer to this and I thank anyone in advance for it. But even on this very forum I have seen the trucks described all three ways including what I originally thought myself "Dodge RAM"? Thanks again and looking forward to learning a lot on this forum!
Ram became its own brand several years ago. Therefore, no more Dodge Ram, only Ram 1500, 2500, etc.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I almost laugh out loud, when places that work on vehicles as a business, look at my Ram & ask me what it is.
I debadged it back in 2016.

All around Southern California, all the Middle Eastern Refugees have bought about 85% of the businesses.
It seems like they are even buying out the Churches

If a person walks out of a automotive glass business & can't look at the grille of a 2016 truck & has to ask what kind of truck it is, i say thank you & good bye.

1698270805066.png
1698271296130.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat