Do you change oil based on oil life indicator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dippinchick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine gets changed every 3,000 miles which is about 3-4 weeks for me. I'm currently 3,500 miles and not too worried as I'm trading in, in the next couple months.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I change my oil, rotate tires every 6k. Mobil one synthetic with fram filter. Computer says i still have 30 percent life but i like keeping everything on the same schedule.

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run good Synthetic, change it myself and re-set it myself (no big deal).

To make the most of the good oil (which the computer does not seem to take into account) I simply re-set the meter and change it every-other time it tells me it is due.

I feel that is still leaving plenty of service life left in it when I do change it, as doubling the indicated intervals for me puts it right about 7k miles. Amsoil / Redline and a good filter under normal "civilian" use should still be good for at least 10k miles.

That is my trick.

:naughty:

I run Amsoil's signature series synthetic and change every 9-10k. Still looks good as new. One of these days I'll send some out for analysis and see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I'm in the minority here but I buy quality synthetic oil (Pennzoil Platinum) and do it when the truck says to. No muss, no fuss. Oil can go a lot farther now than it used to. Especially after having my oil analyzed once and discovered that he had tons of life left.