Dodge Ram SS/T bogging down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Leimkuhler

Leimkuhler

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 SS/T
Engine
5.9 magnum
i was just dropped the exhaust to see if my bogging down problem was my cat and it was, i will for sure am putting new exhaust on it, just cant afford what i want right now. i dont drive it much but i love the loudness for sure.

yes i will be designing a new exhaust system for it, just wanting to know what will give me max performance and loudness.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
thats with no cat right ?

flowmasters is what im think for mufflers any suggestions ?

i have magnaflow now , did really like them.

Yeah, true duals require a loss of the cat and the x-pipe pretty much goes where the cat used to reside.

The Blowmasters are some of the most restrictive mufflers out there minus their Hushpower line and the Super 10. Go with Magnaflow or something else that's straight through.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Another exhaust setup you might consider is to run only the cat(s) with no muffler. I ran this on one of my old trucks and it is legal in Virginia.
SS/T trucks are my all time favorite.

OP
OP
Leimkuhler

Leimkuhler

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 SS/T
Engine
5.9 magnum
Another exhaust setup you might consider is to run only the cat(s) with no muffler. I ran this on one of my old trucks and it is legal in Virginia.
SS/T trucks are my all time favorite.

would just running the cat sound like running open header?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
As said above the more pipe the less raw it sounds. I split mine just after the cat and ran dual 2-1/2 inch pipes back over the axle and out both sides. It had a loud performance sound to it. A friend tried it on his truck without the pipes and it was IMO too loud and raw.

OP
OP
Leimkuhler

Leimkuhler

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 SS/T
Engine
5.9 magnum
i just want it to be loud and not be so restricted, i have had the truck for years been in the garage most of them , but never ran open headers and never felt so much power come from it. obviously the flow is being restricted big time and holding back horses.

OP
OP
Leimkuhler

Leimkuhler

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 SS/T
Engine
5.9 magnum

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
very good info i did not know about that could possible be the problem leading to my clogged cat, and i do burn oil with no leaking and have always scratched my head at that. thank you much DD94 i will also be doing this.:waytogo:

You're welcome. Now you know. Think it runs good with out the cat, just wait until you get the plenum done.

If you do this:
http://www.ramforum.com/f77/keggar_mod-5206/

to your intake manifold you'll really open that ***** up. :burnout:

OP
OP
Leimkuhler

Leimkuhler

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 SS/T
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hell yea, that is awesome, i will be doing that also. anyway to get more performance i'm doing it lol

any more DIY's you know about for the 5.9 Magnum?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not on this forum, another easy power adder is the Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers. $350 but they're bolt on horsepower to the tune of about 15hp and 25lb of torque. :naughty:

While you're doing the plenum is a great time to make sure the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor are replaced as well as to replace the timing set and water pump. There are lots of "cheaper" mods you can do to free up horsepower. That and a tuner.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quit screwing around with the little stuff. Get an Air Gap manifold, never worry about the plenum again. And since you're that deep, put in a hot cam shaft, lifters and RRs. Weee!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Quit screwing around with the little stuff. Get an Air Gap manifold, never worry about the plenum again. And since you're that deep, put in a hot cam shaft, lifters and RRs. Weee!

Get a load of this guy!

:D :burnout: :happy160: