Does A 4WD Truck Need Limited Slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That’s not TC, that’s stability control that you’re complaining about cutting power.

No?

Traction control only limits wheel spin; stability control can maneuver a car. Or, in bourbon/whiskey terms: All stability control is traction control, but not all traction control is stability control.

Stability controls are more advanced and can do a bit more when it comes to sliding but in a straight line (per my example) they are essentially the same.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison but my 2013 1500 was 4x4 but did not have a limited slip rear axle. My 2022 is also 4x4 but has a limited-slip rear axle. Living in Michigan I see rain, ice, and snow. To be honest, I don't see any difference between how the 2013 and the 2022 mitigated slippery roads while in 4x4 auto.
Something might be up with your '22, my '15 with LSD in the rear will break both rear wheels free if too much throttle is applied in 4X4(Part-time)or not while turning in slippery and wet conditions. Tires are 3Peak rated AT tires.

That’s not TC, that’s stability control that you’re complaining about cutting power.
It's most likely Traction Control, that's cutting throttle, stability controls kicks in to keep the vehicle upright and going straight. TC will first apply the ABS then cut power if wheel speed doesn't match. ESC applies counter braking based on steering angle and body roll.
Traction control only limits wheel spin; stability control can maneuver a car. Or, in bourbon/whiskey terms: All stability control is traction control, but not all traction control is stability control.

Stability controls are more advanced and can do a bit more when it comes to sliding but in a straight line (per my example) they are essentially the same.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Seems better to have it and hope you don't need it. I had a 90 Chev 3/4 ton one wheel drive w/o it and got stuck in sand twice. Went to a rear end shop and had limited slip installed. But I did not have 4WD. Did not get stuck again after that. That's why I asked the question. So I suppose it's a matter of $500 insurance if you have the choice. Appreciate all the insight on this question. A good education.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had open and lsd in rams. No difference in daily driving in Michigan weather in my experience.

On ice or deep snow, Turing off the esc makes a big difference to me. Esc will be on every vehicle even those with a lsd. Even when you turn esc off with the dash button, the electric anti slip will work.

Off road, a locker is great. Lsd is ok but they do require some maintenance if you are working them a lot. I rarely go off road anymore…

I don’t know that I would pay for a lsd on a new vehicle if I was ordering it. If it was on one that I was looking at and wanted, I wouldn’t let it affect whether or not I was going to purchase it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Traction control is absolute garbage. I've been on muddy roads that really weren't all that bad but we couldn't go more than 30-35 because one of the tires would slip ever so slightly and TC kept cutting power to the other one.

If I'm in a slide I would much rather have LSD to be able to put the power down when and were I need it vs TC cutting power to try to hook up again. If you slip a little in a straight line TC will get you hooked back up but if you are sideways you can't just hook back up so it will keep cutting you off and you essentially only have brakes at that point.

It's garbage if you use it in situations it's specifically contraindicated for, like mud and deeper snow or sand. If you need wheel spin to stay on top, you're supposed to deactivate TC.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Something might be up with your '22, my '15 with LSD in the rear will break both rear wheels free if too much throttle is applied in 4X4(Part-time)or not while turning in slippery and wet conditions.
I think it is performing exactly as described in the OM. If I hit the throttle hard or turn off the anti slip stuff, well, that is a different story.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I ordered my truck with limited slip, but if the right 4x4 came along with out it I'd definitely snap it up.

Today's electronic systems are getting better and better and can emulate what the limited slip does by braking the slipping wheel. If you were going offroading I'd suggest a true locker, but for your use case, it really doesn't matter. Don't overthink it for something you'll use a few times in the ownership of the truck.

My previous ride was a Jeep GC Laredo with all time 4wd. No limited slip whatsoever, and it was very sure footed as well.
I had a 01 grand Cherokee with Quadra drive, limited slip differentials front and rear. That thing was awesome

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Absolutely, 100% get the Limited slip. No truck should come without it in my opinion. I would actually prefer a locker, but LS would be my minimum.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Farmer Fran's posts on what BLD, Trac-Loc, etc do and mean were very informative but now has me curious what comes on a new RAM. My 2004.5 4WD with LS does not have, as far as I know, any of that. It has served me well but as I mentioned before it almost got me stuck in soft sand out in the desert. And in front of a bunch of Fords. I had not aired down my tires and the tires were not made for off road. Still, it got me out and I immediately aired down which made a big difference. So it seems with or without might be okay as previously mentioned and not a deal breaker if a truck w/o came along at a great buy. And that is assuming I'm not a frequent off roader. I have a 2004 Wrangler LJ for that if I want to beat myself up.

This has been a great learning post for me and I hope for others as well. Had no idea how far these systems had come over the years. Snow and ice is a possibility where I live so I needed to know what id best. LS is best but maybe not a deal breaker. BTW, a 2023 2500 4WD Laramie diesel w/o LS is available at an Idaho dealer at a good price. 70K. 78MRSP. Bench seat which was a deal breaker for me and then no LS. Thanks again to all for the edu-ma-cation.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Farmer Fran's posts on what BLD, Trac-Loc, etc do and mean were very informative but now has me curious what comes on a new RAM. My 2004.5 4WD with LS does not have, as far as I know, any of that. It has served me well but as I mentioned before it almost got me stuck in soft sand out in the desert. And in front of a bunch of Fords. I had not aired down my tires and the tires were not made for off road. Still, it got me out and I immediately aired down which made a big difference. So it seems with or without might be okay as previously mentioned and not a deal breaker if a truck w/o came along at a great buy. And that is assuming I'm not a frequent off roader. I have a 2004 Wrangler LJ for that if I want to beat myself up.

This has been a great learning post for me and I hope for others as well. Had no idea how far these systems had come over the years. Snow and ice is a possibility where I live so I needed to know what id best. LS is best but maybe not a deal breaker. BTW, a 2023 2500 4WD Laramie diesel w/o LS is available at an Idaho dealer at a good price. 70K. 78MRSP. Bench seat which was a deal breaker for me and then no LS. Thanks again to all for the edu-ma-cation.

I live in that area of Canada where there is melting and greasy snow constantly throughout the winter months. I grew up on an 80's caprice station wagon with rear 2wd and bald tires. My truck has limited slip, but I've never felt/heard it engage once in 4 years of ownership. That includes the greasy slimy winter roads, pulling boats up slick ramps, and getting my trailer up and over wet/dirt grassy lots. I always put it in 4wd auto when I suspect it will help, and that's all I need. Occasionally I hear TC active in the winter and when I'm playing around just for kicks to go sideways.

Again, don't overthink it. LS is a nice to have, but you'll probably rarely use it. The guys who offroad can really put it to use, but you and I don't really need it. I've watched enough videos on Truck King to see that there is very little difference in capability these days. Tires are most important, than 4wd. After that, LS and then lockers, but you don't want lockers active unless you're offroad and LS will be used very very infrequently - and TC can probably cover for those few times you would have benefited.

IMHO, look for a truck with LS, but if the right deal falls in your lap just snap it up.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
LSD for nominal off-roading and normal life driving

True lockers like Power Wagon if you plan on climbing a sheer surface

Usually you will hit ground clearance, approach, break over or departure angles and/or tire choice well before the 4x4 choice.

EDIT, and if digging down that deep how about choice of live vs IRS/IFS and articulation.

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I love my LSD and personally would have it in every truck. :party36:

aside from low initial cost when factory ordered, extra wear and tear maintenance if you ever own the truck for a lifetime, which most dont, I just don't see the downside.
especially since the ram unit is very good at stock power levels!
Im treating mine nicely and fully expect it to be lifetime unit
my 06 hemi 3.92 factory lsd was beat on by me from 140k km to 330k kms (lots of burn outs, tire spinning, drag nights and general hooning)
I changed the oil many times and found out over the years that redline 75-140 is the best oil for that diff. regular "top shelf" 75 140 was always burnt around 20k kms
when I finally got fed up and ordered redline for the first time it changed the way I felt about gear oil!

for those who want to check their lsd function; turn the traction control off and punch it full throttle on a loose surface with some open space in front of you. hold on and enjoy! :favorites13:

(if you have the hemi this will be quite a big event make sure you are off public roads and away from people in general)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley