Does bilstein make a 5100 for a 2wd 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sport15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to level the front of my truck. It seems that the bilstein may be the best way to go but I'm having trouble finding a set that fits the 2015 2wd 1500. If they do not make any, what other options do I have to level the front. I do not want to lose any ride quality and I do not want to put any added stress on my ball joints since I hear they can pop out if not done properly.

Fubar65

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish they Did. I am In the same boat as you. Best bet is to either use a front level kit or you can use spindles. Maxtrac makes a spindle kit that will lift and level.

mattmid101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2wd
Engine
5.7l
Use a level kit, and there are some special shocks made for the level kit trucks as the stock shocks are pretty much maxed out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mattmid101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2wd
Engine
5.7l
No they don't make the bilstein level shocks for 2wd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Not trying to grave dig, but is this still the case that they don't make 5100's for the 2wd 2015's if not this is a total bummer.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
guys... just to educate you... there will NEVER be an adjustable strut for your 2wd truck.

Pretty much every other truck make shares the same frame/suspension on 2wd/4wd trucks (ie f150, silverado, tacoma, etc) except the ram 1500.

Ram 4wd (and basically all other late model trucks):

coilover.png

Ram 2wd (old school set up):

coil-spring.png

The 4wd model uses a strut, essentially a "coil over" design if you will, where the coil spring is physically mounted on the shock assembly. They are one unit. joined at the hip. While there is a difference between struts and coilovers, it may help you visualize.

The 2wd model uses a separate coil spring and shock. they are not combined. they dont know each other exist.

This is obviously an elementary break down but hopefully it helps.

To level a 2wd, you have two choices. Stick a spacer on top off the coil spring or use a different spring. The shocks have nothing to do with any of it.

The real question is why doesnt ram just do what everyone else is doing? Manufacture one frame and dont stick the front diff in.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Also, i forget to mention this fun fact...

bilstein DOES make a 5100 series shock for the ram 2wd. Its a normal shock, not an adjustable strut. 5100 is a series in the blistein line. Just like the 7100s, the 5150s, etc.

SOME are adjustable struts and some are normal shocks.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are some examples of what they have for 2wd trucks. I'm not a Maxtrac person, I've just dealt a little with them and they are a super great company.

2009-2015 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7L 2wd 2.5" Front Lift Coils W/ Front MaxTrac Shocks - MaxTrac 872171 - MaxTrac Suspension Store
This is a 2.5" leveling kit for 2wd's. It includes shocks and new springs. This is probably your best bet for a leveling kit.

These are the 2wd specific Bilstein 5100's. They are not adjustable but they are still the 5100's and work well with the leveling springs.

There are also spacer you can put but I wouldn't do that. As far as leveling a 2wd I think a spring and shock combination is the best bet.

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Does anyone have any experience putting coil spacers on a new Ram? How tough is the install, and did you have alignment problems with a 1.5-2" spacer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
These are some examples of what they have for 2wd trucks. I'm not a Maxtrac person, I've just dealt a little with them and they are a super great company.

2009-2015 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7L 2wd 2.5" Front Lift Coils W/ Front MaxTrac Shocks - MaxTrac 872171 - MaxTrac Suspension Store
This is a 2.5" leveling kit for 2wd's. It includes shocks and new springs. This is probably your best bet for a leveling kit.

These are the 2wd specific Bilstein 5100's. They are not adjustable but they are still the 5100's and work well with the leveling springs.

There are also spacer you can put but I wouldn't do that. As far as leveling a 2wd I think a spring and shock combination is the best bet.

Well that sucks both of my last vehicles ( 2010 Tahoe and 2008 crewcab Silverado ) were 2wd leveled with 5100's. I was having a hard time understanding why I couldn't just do the same with my ram, but after seeing the pictures that makes sense. I'm a little Sceptical on the maxtrac Spring/shock combo in regards to my ride quality. Also I am not finding any info on what tire / wheel combo I can run after doing the level kit unless it's the same as the bilstein 5100 route.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I just ordered the maxtrac kit but I opted for the one that came with the bilstein shocks rather than the maxtrac ones, the white body seems cheesy to me. I plan to run 17's with 35x12.50's think they will rub? Or should I run a slightly smaller tire?

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I just ordered the maxtrac kit but I opted for the one that came with the bilstein shocks rather than the maxtrac ones, the white body seems cheesy to me. I plan to run 17's with 35x12.50's think they will rub? Or should I run a slightly smaller tire?

I can't really give a good answer to your question, but keep us updated on your install and issues! Hard to find any info on leveled 2wds on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I'm in Maui for work for the next few months but I'll install the kit once I'm home, I'll be ordering my wheels so they are there too I'm planning on 17x9's with a -12 offset, and then I'll go to the tire shop and decide on the tire size there I'm hoping to get 35x12.5's

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Maui? That sounds pretty nice lol.

I think that wheel size and offset will be perfect. I have a 2015 CC 2wd and I was thinking 17x9 with -12 offset and 285/70/17 in my future, when the stock tires wear out though. So I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Maui? That sounds pretty nice lol.

I think that wheel size and offset will be perfect. I have a 2015 CC 2wd and I was thinking 17x9 with -12 offset and 285/70/17 in my future, when the stock tires wear out though. So I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Well, not as nice as you would think. I'm personally not a Hawaii guy us white people aren't liked too much here. I work in general contracting back home but I also do government contracting when the jobs come up and it seems we usually end up out here restoring lighthouses or this time rebuilding a boardwalk and kiosk in a bird refuge. The pay is real good but it's not the vacation most people think it is. Plus I'm missing all the holidays with my family and girlfriend back home.

A 285x70x17 is probably what I should run but I'm going to go for 35's first

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why do people lift 2wd trucks... Put on bigger oversize tires...? Is it just for looks? Most guys with 2wd say that they wont ever need 4x4 and its a waste of money.. But then spend money making it look like one. .?

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sweet! Let us know how it rides! I think you will be fine with the height, I just don't know about the wheel offset or the width of the tires.

Why do people lift 2wd trucks... Put on bigger oversize tires...? Is it just for looks? Most guys with 2wd say that they wont ever need 4x4 and its a waste of money.. But then spend money making it look like one. .?

It's a truck. People like to make their trucks big. Just like lowering them. Why would you lower it when you can get a car that will be better? It's peoples preference.