Does bilstein make a 5100 for a 2wd 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why do people lift 2wd trucks... Put on bigger oversize tires...? Is it just for looks? Most guys with 2wd say that they wont ever need 4x4 and its a waste of money.. But then spend money making it look like one. .?

This is an ignorant statement.

1) factory half ton 4wd/2wd trucks are all the same height, regardless of brand. They all run the same size tire. Theres virtually no difference in appearance.

2) Where does this rule come from that 2wd trucks suck? From the 80s when tires were terrible and open diffs were the only option? Get with the times.

3) Big/Tall/whatever trucks dont look like "4wds". They look like lifted trucks.

If you live in a place that doesnt have bad winters (aka 50% of the country) then theres really no reason to have 4wd. They cost 3500 more, add expenses (though minimal on newer models), and cost 2-3x as much to lift. Whats the point?

So some dbag at the gas station can say "sweet 4wd bro".

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is an ignorant statement.

1) factory half ton 4wd/2wd trucks are all the same height, regardless of brand. They all run the same size tire. Theres virtually no difference in appearance.

2) Where does this rule come from that 2wd trucks suck? From the 80s when tires were terrible and open diffs were the only option? Get with the times.

3) Big/Tall/whatever trucks dont look like "4wds". They look like lifted trucks.

If you live in a place that doesnt have bad winters (aka 50% of the country) then theres really no reason to have 4wd. They cost 3500 more, add expenses (though minimal on newer models), and cost 2-3x as much to lift. Whats the point?

So some dbag at the gas station can say "sweet 4wd bro".

It wasn't an ignorant statement. It was a question. Seems like the answer is simply to look like 4x4, meaning, it appears as though you can take it through mud or sand. But in reality it would just sit there and waste gas. Wasn't discrediting certain taste if you just like the look. But my personal opinion is that I would rather spend $3500 more on a real 4x4 and use it (it snowed maybe 2 times a year in NC where I grew up... But I used 4x4 almost every weekend at the beach, and daily during hunting season.) rather than spending $3500 on a lift and tires merely for looks and worse gas milage. To each their own. Seems like a touchy subject, my apologies.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Why do people lift 2wd trucks... Put on bigger oversize tires...? Is it just for looks? Most guys with 2wd say that they wont ever need 4x4 and its a waste of money.. But then spend money making it look like one. .?

I live in San Diego I spend 99% of the time on pavement, for the rare occasions I would need 4wd it's not worth the extra price of a 4wd and insurance it will cost me. I'm leveling my truck to put it on decent size wheels and tires because 20" wheels with 32" tires is goofy as hell. Plus I don't like my truck sitting 3" higher in the back.

Now back on topic I got a call from maxtrac in Arizona and they said the kit with the bilsteins is on back order until February, this isn't an issue for me as I won't be back to even install it until lat feb, or early March but if someone else is looking to buy the same kit it's just a heads up.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It wasn't an ignorant statement. It was a question. Seems like the answer is simply to look like 4x4, meaning, it appears as though you can take it through mud or sand. But in reality it would just sit there and waste gas. Wasn't discrediting certain taste if you just like the look. But my personal opinion is that I would rather spend $3500 more on a real 4x4 and use it (it snowed maybe 2 times a year in NC where I grew up... But I used 4x4 almost every weekend at the beach, and daily during hunting season.) rather than spending $3500 on a lift and tires merely for looks and worse gas milage. To each their own. Seems like a touchy subject, my apologies.

Modding the appearance of cars has been going on since cars were invented. I don't see where your concern is. Majority of mods are for appearance only and not function. I have a feeling you come from an area where modding cars/trucks is not very common.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Modding the appearance of cars has been going on since cars were invented. I don't see where your concern is. Majority of mods are for appearance only and not function. I have a feeling you come from an area where modding cars/trucks is not very common.

Mostly modding for a purpose only. I guess I'm just more function over stance. Thanks for clearing it up.

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Mostly modding for a purpose only. I guess I'm just more function over stance. Thanks for clearing it up.

I can think of lots of situations where clearance comes in very handy though. I drive an 08 F150 4x4 at work and I know I wish for more clearance more than I use the 4wd off-road. It depends on the terrain you're in, of course, my terrain is rocky and dry most of the time, but clearance can be just as useful as 4wd. I know our 2000 Chevy 3500 2WD handles a lot of slopes effortlessly in 2WD that the F150 really needs 4low to crawl up. So 4wd isn't the be all, end all for how useful a truck can be off-road.

So lifting a 2WD still has its advantages in the right circumstances. Obviously it won't help you much in crappy weather conditions or mud, but not everyone has those conditions frequently. I would still always prefer a 4x4 truck, but it shouldn't be the only consideration in making a truck useful in a variety of environments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk