Door removal like a jeep.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Oakes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I-6 HO
The doors off thing is a throwback to the original WW II era army jeeps, which more often than not had their tops and doors removed for view and ease of egress in combat zones. The originals were quite easy to install and remove, as were the issued soft tops and soft doors for the rainy season.

As for modern jeeps, technically the owner is supposed to put special (aftermarket) bars across the door openings or the netting designed for that as well, especially for on road use. The RCMP here love to pull the doorless jeeps over and hand out some hefty fines. Same for people that remove the back seat and then still put (often too many) people back there.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
As for modern jeeps, technically the owner is supposed to put special (aftermarket) bars across the door openings or the netting designed for that as well, especially for on road use. The RCMP here love to pull the doorless jeeps over and hand out some hefty fines. Same for people that remove the back seat and then still put (often too many) people back there.

Canadian thing i guess. In the US, atleast my state, there's no statute that covers a Jeep to have those items, nevermind to even have doors. What is required if doors are removed are the exterior mirrors so if you were to remove the doors you add relocation brackets or new mirrors.
And for cramming people in the back with no seat (including pickup trucks) it is Riding on Parts Not Intended and includes a fine.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The doors off thing is a throwback to the original WW II era army jeeps, which more often than not had their tops and doors removed for view and ease of egress in combat zones. The originals were quite easy to install and remove, as were the issued soft tops and soft doors for the rainy season.

I was gonna about the same...something do with the originals during the war times back then.
father-in-law has some kind of old one...its all jacked up with 44s and turned into a hunting buggy.bang my knees every time I get in and out.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess it makes it easier to get in and out of a jeep or looks cool, has anyone ever taken the doors off a Power Wagon? While washing my truck today, I had all the doors open and actually seen a view sideways where I think it would look pretty cool with the doors off.

Curious, why do the jeep guys drive around with no doors on?
Because Jeeps can.
I guess it makes it easier to get in and out of a jeep or looks cool, has anyone ever taken the doors off a Power Wagon? While washing my truck today, I had all the doors open and actually seen a view sideways where I think it would look pretty cool with the doors off.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I saw a Silverado with half doors.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are legality issues as well. If you are on the highway driving a vehicle with doors off that was designed for them to be on can be a ticketed offense. Jeep Wranglers are made to have them removable so they are legal, and now the new Bronco's are as well. I rarely, if ever take my doors of my jeep, mainly to keep the mud/mess out. When the previous owner had the jeep for sale, he had color matched half doors, those would have been nice. You would also need to have a side mirror installed somewhere.

But as stated in other posts, no doors are nice for offroading - visibility and one less body panel to wreck, lol. But a good majority of jeep people just think it is cool (for the ones that even know how to remove em).
Here in the U.S., different states have different laws. In the state where I live there are no issues with Jeeps running without the doors.....usually see several every day during the summer running around and none have door nets or bars on them.
In regards to mirrors, again it varies by stated by here you are only required to have a single rearview mirror. For the Jeeps the mirror mounted on the windshield counts so you don't need to add side rearview mirrors to be legal. The new Broncos are nice because the side mirrors are mounted on the body and no the doors.