Double Honk when starting truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duane360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had my brand new 2023 1500 Laramie since February. About a month ago my truck started giving me a double honk of the horn when starting about 50-75% of the time. I tried different combinations of remote start Vs. button start. It would do it intermittently either way.

I found a thread on some other forum that mentioned they had a similar issue and that by removing the uninstalled trailer TPM sensors from the glovebox solved their issue. Apparently the truck is looking for the sensors and can not find them. That makes some sense to me, but why start after a couple months of owning it.

Finally brought it to the dealer last Thursday and so far they and the factory are stumped. It has been a week. What the advisor can tell me so far is it does seem to be related to the TPM sensors. Not the trailer but the truck tire sensors. When you fill the tire it is supposed to "double honk" when it gets to the correct pressure. They can not figure out why it is going off when starting the truck. They have tried turning anything off in the programming that has to do with honking. The factory has had their tech do tons of testing and they are still trying to figure it out. They have been able to eliminate the problem by disconnecting the trailer wire harness.

According to the service advisor the factory has taken an interest and is really working with their tech as they think there maybe a bigger issue that is affecting a lot more trucks with the issue that they have not heard about yet.

Sorry for the long post, I'll keep you updated when I hear more from them.

OP
OP
D

Duane360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update... The dealer was able to figure it out with help from the factory. It ended up being the trailer module wiring. So far so good! no more issues.

Dak76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI ETORQUE
Glad they figured it out.
I have a 2022 Laramie that randomly will not lock and wont respond to either remotes. (Yes they checked the batteries)
Dealer said it might be the wiring harness.
It took almost a year to get a new wiring harness but dealer still cant find the issue.
Going back tomorrow again, for the fourth time. Any body know if Ram will take this truck back?

OP
OP
D

Duane360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dak76, sorry to hear they can not find the solution. I work in the RF industry. So the remotes are basically a small transmitter. I wonder if somethi g with the receiver on the truck is having a problem. Having said that, I have no idea what part acts as the receiver/transmitter on the truck. I hope they can figure it out for you. Have they consulted the factory yet? I wonder if you could request them too or maybe call the regional Factory rep. and see if he is more responsive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357