Drag Link V06 Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
I actually left my passenger side wheel on, that being said having it off would make the job way easier...lol I'm an Irish polock so I like to make things difficult. Driver's side definitely can stay on. I would recommend new nuts if you didn't get them, I'm just a little **** and don't like to reuse those nylock nuts on certain stuff. Make sure your puller fits around the Pittman arm. I actually had to grind mine with my Dremel to get mine on.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. The pittman arm side on mine popped really easy for me other guys have said it fought them till the bitter end

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I just got done doing mine tonight in the driveway in the wind, snow, and cold. I know poor me right jk. I followed the other member who did it and the recall paper exactly as recommended and it went really well. Definitely had to take off the passenger side tire to hit that side to break it loose. Also I hit both areas with PB Blaster to help loosen it up. Big thing I recommend as stated above by the other member is a pitman puller. You will know when that sucker comes loose BANG lol. Keep your wheels straight and adjust it till the wheel is center. I did my test drive and it was spot on and needed no other adjustment after my initial one. Definitely do what the other member stated and mark up by the pitman arm so you have a reference point when putting the new one in. That's honestly I think the most important thing and mine was spot on linned back up with those marks with the new one in. One major thing I noticed when doing my test drive is how tight my steering is now. Before it was a little sloppy now it drives amazing. I honestly believe my threads were screwed on mine giving it play and it was going to go at some point. My truck has never drove so nice and I am so thankful for all the help and I am glad I got that part my minds at ease.
20200108_173924.jpg 20200108_200556.jpg

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I feel like my steering firmed up to, I thought it may just have been the placebo effect for me. Every time I get in my truck I feel a new shimmy shake or noise and I get aggravated [emoji23]

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I just got done doing mine tonight in the driveway in the wind, snow, and cold. I know poor me right jk. I followed the other member who did it and the recall paper exactly as recommended and it went really well. Definitely had to take off the passenger side tire to hit that side to break it loose. Also I hit both areas with PB Blaster to help loosen it up. Big thing I recommend as stated above by the other member is a pitman puller. You will know when that sucker comes loose BANG lol. Keep your wheels straight and adjust it till the wheel is center. I did my test drive and it was spot on and needed no other adjustment after my initial one. Definitely do what the other member stated and mark up by the pitman arm so you have a reference point when putting the new one in. That's honestly I think the most important thing and mine was spot on linned back up with those marks with the new one in. One major thing I noticed when doing my test drive is how tight my steering is now. Before it was a little sloppy now it drives amazing. I honestly believe my threads were screwed on mine giving it play and it was going to go at some point. My truck has never drove so nice and I am so thankful for all the help and I am glad I got that part my minds at ease.
View attachment 191315 View attachment 191316

Great. I do have the puller and will mark as suggested. PB already soaking. Thanks for your post too.

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
I feel like my steering firmed up to, I thought it may just have been the placebo effect for me. Every time I get in my truck I feel a new shimmy shake or noise and I get aggravated [emoji23]

Lol it was the first thing I noticed. I was like my steering wheel is amazing now. I thought it was off cause of the leveling kit but not anymore. Thanks for all your help and I know I seem like I was complaining but honestly I have owned over 30 cars from hellcats to Raptors and this one just drove me nuts and worried the **** out of me especially after how loose mine was. Drinking beer in celebration!!!!!

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Great. I do have the puller and will mark as suggested. PB already soaking. Thanks for your post too.
No problem I was beating the **** out of the passenger side and prying on it and nothing. Then I took the tire off did a baby tap and go figure it fell right off. Way better design on the new part and if you look at both you can see how risky the old part is. Any play and loosening on the old one and your doomed. Must mean something when myself and Maligator instantly had tighter steering.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Lol it was the first thing I noticed. I was like my steering wheel is amazing now. I thought it was off cause of the leveling kit but not anymore. Thanks for all your help and I know I seem like I was complaining but honestly I have owned over 30 cars from hellcats to Raptors and this one just drove me nuts and worried the **** out of me especially after how loose mine was. Drinking beer in celebration!!!!!
No problem man glad to help. The complaining is warranted especially with FCAs lack of giving a ****. I think that's my biggest beef. BTW Semper Fi brother!

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
No problem man glad to help. The complaining is warranted especially with FCAs lack of giving a ****. I think that's my biggest beef. BTW Semper Fi brother!

Yeah what set me off is how I was talked to. Honestly like we said they got this part out and you spend 50k plus and they could care less. In the end if you want it done right you gotta turn your own wrenches which I dont mind it's just a shame to an extent. Semper Fi now my 600 plus mile trip to NC mountains tomorrow will have no worries.

kylant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
what is the part number for the "nuts" and where are they needed?
I have been trying to order this new link for months to no avail. glad to see there is actually a cost effective way to get this thing
thanks

CoZo6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
what is the part number for the "nuts" and where are they needed?
I have been trying to order this new link for months to no avail. glad to see there is actually a cost effective way to get this thing
thanks
I got mine on amazon.
6505623AA nuts. Need 2. Give that a go.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I got mine on amazon.
6505623AA nuts. Need 2. Give that a go.
Yup those are it, got mine on Amazon as well. I'm sure it's fine to reuse the old ones. I prefer to use new nylon lock nuts, also I didnt want to give the dealer an excuse not to close my recall when I take it in to get closed out

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting conversation at the deer camp this weekend. Buddy of mine has a 2016 Chevy 3500 that had a recall to loctite a nut on his steering column to prevent the steering wheel from having a bunch of play. Told him I thought that sounded like the drag link but he didn’t know. Guess it’s not just Ram!

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That's why I bought the Mopar part, figured if they won't reimburse me I'm only out $130 I stead of $300+

I just talked to the Dealer, who said the only fix is welding the nuts, and FMc 800 number, who said the only fix is welding. I'm considering buying the updated part and having an independent shop install it and do an alignment. Screw this!

CoZo6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
So I can say with absolute certainty that part #68338342AB works on 4th gen 2500s. Install was super simple.I did spray the tapered fits a few hours before with PB blaster, not sure if it made much difference. Definitely get a Pittman arm puller for the Pittman arm side. The knuckle side I smacked good on the knuckle and drag link a few times then used a brass hammer and gave a smack on the bolt on the ball joint and it popped right out. I made a match mark on my Pittman arm for reference so I could get close when adjusting it. I followed the recall bulletin torque values. Torqued the Pittman arm nut to 27ftlbs plus an additional 180° rotation on the nut. This turned out to be about 135ft lbs. Knuckle side was torqued to 44ftlbs plus 105°. This was about 70ftlbs. Coming off this nut was extremely loose I doubt it was more than 25ft lbs.

Broke the locking collar loose and spun adjustment sleeve easily by hand to move the steering wheel to where I needed it. Took it on a drive and had to make further adjusting. After I got it set I match marked the position of everything and torqued the lock collar to 55ftlbs.

ETA: I also made sure my old and new links were close in length before I installed to minimize my needed adjustment

With the adjustments and drives down the road to check the wheel maybe an hour and twenty minutes total. Easy job but definitely invest in the puller!a81440b3e101fbd19bcd375b65b2955f.jpg69e60ab317c074d18e71d158bf7eced3.jpg023edff9cb1106ba14a7f92eced9a3fc.jpgd044a00e6f09d848a2217561164cd439.png

I had an appointment this morning at the dealership on another issue, but I had been in contact with the assistant service manager that I was due for the “weld job”. I had already had purchase the new drag link. Initially he thought if I brought the part in ( which I did) I would get it installed with no problem. Of course, the service director said not now, but actually agreed to follow up the chain as it would have to be okay by more that his Chrysler immediate contact. I said ok and left. Got home and I just completed said install following the procedure outlined before. A little sore back on a 68 year getting up and down checking the steering wheel, but all is good. Still have a minor adjustment tomorrow with the wife to sit in the truck as I’m done getting up and down. Now a brewsky and a bourbon. Thanks Malligator and all for the help from others too!

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an appointment this morning at the dealership on another issue, but I had been in contact with the assistant service manager that I was due for the “weld job” But had purchase the new drag link. Initially he thought if I brought the part in I would get it installed with no problem. Of course, the service director said not now, but actually agreed to follow up the chain as it would have to be okay by more that his Chrysler immediate contact. I said ok and just completed said install following the procedure outlined before. A little sore back by a 68 year getting up and down checking the steering wheel, but all is good. Still have a minor adjustment tomorrow with the wife to sit in the truck as I’m done getting up and down. No a beer and a bourbon. Thanks Malligator and all for the help!

little tip I have used to get my steering wheel perfectly center, as it can be a little difficult.

go for a drive and determine where the wheel is when driving straight. Then, when you park to adjust it, make sure the wheel is in that exact position. Then, adjust it till the wheel is straight.

if the wheel is off just a teeny bit it bugs the **** out of me. This is the process I used to get it perfect.

CoZo6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
little tip I have used to get my steering wheel perfectly center, as it can be a little difficult.

go for a drive and determine where the wheel is when driving straight. Then, when you park to adjust it, make sure the wheel is in that exact position. Then, adjust it till the wheel is straight.

if the wheel is off just a teeny bit it bugs the **** out of me. This is the process I used to get it perfect.
I shall certainly give that a go before I had wifey help the old guy out! Thanks

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I just talked to the Dealer, who said the only fix is welding the nuts, and FMc 800 number, who said the only fix is welding. I'm considering buying the updated part and having an independent shop install it and do an alignment. Screw this!
Smart

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
What a useful, intelligent and worth while thread. My POV, this forum continues to grow and is one of the highest rated and most satisfying because,,,,,we got the great members.
I have witness marks on my 2018 2500. I check it every 30 days for any change. This is a critical safety issue and it will not be addressed by FCA/RAM in any other way but lump welding as approved by NHTSA.
Glad we have a quality after market solution and I think it has been determined that the 2019 2500 drag links will fit. AND it does not have the defective threads.
Agree with all,,,,this is BS on FCA/RAM. CEO and Director of Operations have no interest in quality or customer safety. Fitz

Last edited:

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7

I had my wife sit in the truck in the driveway and try to align it. Looked good but on my test drive it was way off. Adjusted it after the drive on my own and it was spot on during the next test drive.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my wife sit in the truck in the driveway and try to align it. Looked good but on my test drive it was way off. Adjusted it after the drive on my own and it was spot on during the next test drive.

yep, its hard to determine if the wheels are pointing where they make the truck go straight. So its almost a crap chute until you go for a test drive and determine where the wheel is when driving straight.
Once that is determined, its just a matter of making sure it is in that position when you make it straight during the adjustment.