Drivers seat belt not recognized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdub2024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2016 3500 Tradesman not recognizing driver's seat belt latched. Constant reminder chime and dash light. Also throwing service airbag system code. Manual seats but still has 3 wiring harnesses along with the small grey one off the latch. Any help? it's driving me CRAZY. I've tried the magnets on the side to trick the sensor, put paper clip in where seatbelt pins go to complete the circuit, nothing works.

*edited to add* IT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE SEAT BELT IS LATCHED, therefore any 'fix' that requires the truck to see the latch is being used will not work. no chime disable scenario, no seat belt extender, no magnet.

Last edited:

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This will get rid of the chime

I think that will only work if his seat belt circuit was working - since it's not, the circuit won't connect/disconnect the 3x you latch/unlatch the belt and this won't trigger the "off" mode. Also, this is for 2019+ Year Models - so 5th Gen. His is a 2016 (4th Gen) and it might not apply to older models... Of note though: It is worth a shot. I turned mine (2017) off using AlphaOBD.

2016 3500 Tradesman not recognizing driver's seat belt latched. Constant reminder chime and dash light. Also throwing service airbag system code. Manual seats but still has 3 wiring harnesses along with the small grey one off the latch. Any help? it's driving me CRAZY. I've tried the magnets on the side to trick the sensor, put paper clip in where seatbelt pins go to complete the circuit, nothing works.
It sounds like you've got a wiring issue. Get ahold of a multi-meter, and check the circuit according to the below wiring diagram - you should have voltage on Pin 11 (Green/Gray) and you should have a good ground on Pin 12 (Green/Beige) - (Don't mess with the airbag/squib circuits!). If you've got that, then you probably need to replace the seat belt buckle (female side) - the switch that detects your belt is buckled is probably shot. Shouldn't be too hard of a job to do. You can probably find an OEM seat belt buckle online (ebay or Amazon) or, I guarantee you can find a working one at a junk yard.

If you don't have voltage and/or ground for some reason, then there's an issue in your wiring - you'll need to trace the wires back to the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) - located under the center console if the diagram is correct. Hope this helps.

1710878612465.png1710879458525.png

Attachments

• RESTRAINT-SYSTEMS.pdf
    615.5 KB · Views: 3

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that will only work if his seat belt circuit was working - since it's not, the circuit won't connect/disconnect the 3x you latch/unlatch the belt and this won't trigger the "off" mode. Also, this is for 2019+ Year Models - so 5th Gen. His is a 2016 (4th Gen) and it might not apply to older models... Of note though: It is worth a shot. I turned mine (2017) off using AlphaOBD.
You may be correct on the the system not working, and that making this procedure a no go

You are incorrect on this only working on the 5th Gen, I used this same procedure on my 2017, before I got alfaOBD

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are incorrect on this only working on the 5th Gen, I used this same procedure on my 2017, before I got alfaOBD
Good to know then! I'd never done it that way and I bought Alpha probably within the first month or so of purchasing my RAM.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the 3x seatbelt connection method on my '21 Warlock at the dealership, the day I picked up.

Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
OP
OP
J

jdub2024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

*edited to add* IT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE SEAT BELT IS LATCHED, therefore any 'fix' that requires the truck to see the latch is being used will not work. no chime disable scenario, no seat belt extender, no magnet.
Check all of the plugs/harnesses under your seat. It sounds like it has a loose or unplugged harness. In case you didn't know, there is actually an airbag in your driver's seat near the B-Pillar, that's probably why you have both a seatbelt and airbag warning.