Dual in dual out muffler question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone running dual exhaust using a dual in and dual out muffler? I have a 2017 Rebel Hemi 4x4, 100% stock.

Looking to split my Y pipe and run duals to a 2 in 2 out, and use existing tail pipes. I dont want the interior drone on the highway. I ran into this with a Gibson system I had on an F150, and a Flow Master 44 Si/Do on my 6 cyl 68 AMC Rebel

I found Kenney Exhaust on Youtube has several of these set ups, but dont know if any of you have one or heard on in person.

Thanks

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Anyone running dual exhaust using a dual in and dual out muffler? I have a 2017 Rebel Hemi 4x4, 100% stock.

Looking to split my Y pipe and run duals to a 2 in 2 out, and use existing tail pipes. I dont want the interior drone on the highway. I ran into this with a Gibson system I had on an F150, and a Flow Master 44 Si/Do on my 6 cyl 68 AMC Rebel

I found Kenney Exhaust on Youtube has several of these set ups, but dont know if any of you have one or heard on in person.

Thanks
232 ci L6 in that Rebel? Sounded like a Post Office truck didn't it?

Okay, back on topic: There is merit in dividing the Y pipe because they are smashed together from the factory, but typically any true dual system needs an H or X crossover to equalize side to side pressure and flow. Depending on what 2 in, 2 out you buy, you may not get the equalization you need from that muffler, whereas a single in dual out takes care of it. RAM also has resonators on the back end that do a nice job for drone with the monstrously large OEM muffler, but do not attenuate very well for mufflers under 18" (IMHO).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes It was a 232/auto car, White no option 2 door Coupe 550 trim with 50k original on the clock, It sounded like a postal truck on steroids... non-car people thought it had a big block in it due to the "550" emblem and the noise it put out.

I was looking at the exhaust and noticed my main points of restriction are the manifolds, Y Pipe and muffler. The Y being a pair of 2.5"s crushed together to fit into a 3" pipe seems pretty restrictive. thats why I was thinking split them and go with a muffler that has a built in X, such as Magnaflow or Borla. Im not sure though if the X in a muffler is to far away from the exhaust manifolds to do any good, or as long as they are tied together it doesnt matter. I saw the resonators also and have no plan to remove those.

I just hate to invest $400-600 in an exhaust system and hate the highway drone.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A moderator on our local FB group did a Magnaflow 18" Dual in / Dual out on his 2015. The Magnaflow has a built in X pipe. It sounded really nice.

He's got a few videos on YouTube...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A moderator on our local FB group did a Magnaflow 18" Dual in / Dual out on his 2015. The Magnaflow has a built in X pipe. It sounded really nice.

He's got a few videos on YouTube...

Who's truck is that Nick?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Steve’s from True North Rams, before he traded up to a 2500.

LOL Steve gave me the boot from there awhile ago. I didn't agree with him once,lol.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, you do not want to do 'true duals' you will hurt performance. You got to have a cross over pipe of some sort.

OP
OP
Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, you do not want to do 'true duals' you will hurt performance. You got to have a cross over pipe of some sort.

Thats what Ive read, local exhaust shop who did my AMC suggested straight dual FM40s no H or X pipe on the Ram... and I wasnt to keen on that idea.... I like that 18" Magnaflow sound!

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats what Ive read, local exhaust shop who did my AMC suggested straight dual FM40s no H or X pipe on the Ram... and I wasnt to keen on that idea.... I like that 18" Magnaflow sound!
I got a 21", sounds pretty amazing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you, thinking I will bite the bullet next few weeks and get the exhaust project started!