Dumb oil temp sensor kills transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxideas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a reason why transmissions slip and fail when the oil temp sensor breaks on the 3.6? This truck lost 2 transmissions and is killing a third because the sensor flipped out. Temp goes haywire, goes to zero and shoots up to 392f and quits, tranny drops out of gear.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I highly doubt that it's a failing temperature sensor that's causing the transmission to fail, if that's what's even happening.
It's possible to lose one transmission but two more sounds like either bad diagnosis or abuse

OP
OP
M

Maxideas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a daily driver and a 2wd and well maintained so it's not romped on. The first time it happened the sensor quit and the transmission dropped out of gear at around 60mph. Pull over, shut it off, reset and go, it's fine because the sensor works again. Sensor quits again and transmission immediately drops out of gear. It only drops when sensor malfunctions and its been to 2 dealerships and an independent shop and no one can figure it out. They duplicate the issue but the computer is not giving any codes.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Temperature is the enemy of transmission, 392f is gonna kill any ram transmission in minutes. Learn about the temperature deletes on your transmission and get those done. If I lost two transmissions because of temp you can bet plenty of dollars I would have a temperature gauge on the dash with warning light. Didnt your truck throw a CEL when the fluid was over 250f?

The issue is the 8 speed, they are designed to put temperature into the transmission. Delete all that trash out, even the rfe has temperature put into the trans in late gens. You probably want to mention what transmision you have as opposed to what engine you have as you are discussing a tran issue.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something somewhere sounds wonky. Truck already lost (2) trannys and now on a 3rd for a sensor: Something somewhere not controlling and being troubleshooted properly. That is the problem with Modern Techs: They are all techs, not know how to troubleshoot, just look for codes. But that is just my Opinion. OP, U need to get yer ride to someone who knows how to troubleshoot/know what they R doing to assist U with this distressing situation. All IMHO.

Burla gave U some good info also on a way to go.