e brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my ebrake cable is sagging more than normal.. and has for a while.. after reading up on a few forums im sure that somethings seized when i apply the the parking brake pedal slack is taken out of the cable but it seems like where the spring hook meets the rear axle nothing is happening... it seems positioned in the middle of the slot if that makes sense... is it the normal position? i doubt it but any input would help... i dont think the brake is dragging because when i put it in reverse and let it idle back theres no resistance but still its hard to tell with the power of the motor or if the pads are worn out i guess... is there a way i can adjust the cable without pulling the wheel and rotor? i sprayed some wd 40 on the slot where the spring is but it hasnt freed it up any.sorry for the rant just would rather something worse not happen.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It's a common problem and it's the return arm/spring on the rotors that gets sticky. For me I lubed it up with penetrating oil then wacked it back into position and applied the e-brakes again, repeated this 6-7 times until it started moving on its own. Haven't had any issues since. Once it moved on its own it stayed pretty well hidden which was a much better sight than that ugly cable hanging lower than an old goats ********.

OP
OP
chris52010trx4

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
should i be hitting it towards the rear or forward towards the cab? and is it the same for both sides?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Towards the rear. Mine was only the driver's side that was stuck but if both are having troubles sticking then do both sides.

OP
OP
chris52010trx4

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I did as u said and it worked... after doing driverside the cable went up took out all the slack it's loose the way it should be but not drooping passenger side is good thanks for your help man and I'm pretty sure after driving it after I can notice abit more release when driving ... it might be in my head but it could of been sticking I guess