E85 is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G/T jonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Same as Fat Bob Frank I had a durango with a 3.6 Pentastar got 22 mpg on gas. run on E85 because it was so much cheaper and mpg dropped to 16. pretty much the same difference between the $4 gasoline and the $3 E85. and from what I’ve read the E85 eats engine components.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I notice (feel) a discernable difference in my HEMI's performance/responsiveness and fuel economy when I fill up on premium with 'up to 10% ethanol' vs. premium with no ethanol.

It is what it is, unfortunately, and for the extra $25 to $35 per 32 gallon tank full, I'll personally pay more when my geographic location allows for it on my work/personal travels, for the better fuel (no ethanol) to ensure my engine runs happier and healthier.

I despise that it costs me more for my truck to run better, but I also want, and need, 500,000+km's from my truck, too. So, I balance it all out and lose a bottle of vodka of enjoyment in the process.... there could be worse things I suppose.... ;)

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My previous vehicle is world's apart from a RAM, a turbo Subaru. Once the fueling system is upgraded to handle more fuel deliivery (larger injectors and fuel pump) and tuning is done, big HP gains could be made with E85.

I go the opposite direction with my RAM, since the Hemi is not rated for E85. I use 90 ethanol-free gas. I get an average of 1 mpg gain while towing with that fuel or 93 with ethanol. My truck does have an 89 tune, so that makes a difference.

magman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried E-85 one time with my last Ram, 2008 with the 4.7 I noticed right off the loss of power. And then when I had to fill up again in less than a week when normally I would go just over a week on a fill, I knew I would not be using it again. I wish we had ethanol free gas in my area, I would have to drive 40 miles out of the way to get it. I do have my brother stop and get 5 gal of it for me for my small engines though.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same as Fat Bob Frank I had a durango with a 3.6 Pentastar got 22 mpg on gas. run on E85 because it was so much cheaper and mpg dropped to 16. pretty much the same difference between the $4 gasoline and the $3 E85. and from what I’ve read the E85 eats engine components.
E85 can be detrimental to some fuel system components in vehicles not rated to use it. Vehicles built to use E85 should not suffer any negative consequences.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97233 miles.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If youre running E-85, your injectors are shooting about 40% more fuel in the cylinders compared to regular gas. E-85 should be around 100 octane, this is why its great in boosted and higher compression applications. As others have said though, E-85 does not have the BTUs that regular gasoline has is why it takes more of it.