Is a stage 1 cam worth it on my 15’ Express 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Hemi 345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ve been reading different post in this forum. And am actually new . I was wondering if any one knows the actual gains in HP doing the cam job and is it worth it for a stage 1 or a cam job period ???

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's a stage 1 cam??? Elaborate a little more.

FRP / Moes / MMX / Arrington are outfits you should phone and get their advice,i'd avoid TSP as they don't have a great rep these days. Don't cheap out on the cam and lifters,use OEM lifters.
You'll also need to unlock your PCM before you can tune for the majority of aftermarket cams,and while you're at it,you'll also want to spring for a set of long tube headers (avoid shorties,they're just a waste of money) to compliment the cam

OP
OP
Tom Hemi 345

Tom Hemi 345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So you think I should unlock the PCM tune the truck then how with long tube headers ?? And it’s crazy you said that about TSP lol that’s what I was considering . Am so glad I joined this forum . What tune would you recommend ? I have a 15 ram so the PCM is locked . Can’t really afford to send off my PCM . Any recommendations? Am located in south Florida

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So you think I should unlock the PCM tune the truck then how with long tube headers ?? And it’s crazy you said that about TSP lol that’s what I was considering . Am so glad I joined this forum . What tune would you recommend ? I have a 15 ram so the PCM is locked . Can’t really afford to send off my PCM . Any recommendations? Am located in south Florida
Get ahold of Matt Fikac at Moes.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go on ebay and get a used PCM with the correct part # for your truck, send that one out to be unlocked (this is what I did).

Them pic a tuner / software (diablo vs. HP), Hemi Fever, Jay Greene, Flyin Ryan, etc.

2 of these guy have cams available that I know of.

To get the most our of a cam you should be looking at LT headers so the truck can breath right with the new cam.

Last thing, depedning on the cam you may need a different torque converter as well.

You are looking at approx. $5,000 to do it right, not including a new converter.

OP
OP
Tom Hemi 345

Tom Hemi 345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That doesn’t sound like a bad idea in regards of purchasing a PCM online . Thanks brother

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You MUST tune with any major mods to these trucks. Even a mild cam will run like crap if you don't tune for it.

Did you get the dreaded lifter failure or are you just going for a performance upgrade? If you haven't replaced the stock lifters and are doing a cam now would be a good time to do it... and the water pump too while you are in there.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Stage 1 cams are considered OEM+. Basically barely more aggressive than stock. You don't need to tune with one. So I'm not sure what you are expecting from it.

What are your goals? Probably best to start with an unlocked ECU and tuner.

OP
OP
Tom Hemi 345

Tom Hemi 345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah am definitely looking into unlocking the PCM just debating on what tune am going to get ????

Canadian-Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Shorty (RCSB)
Engine
5.7 L
Go on ebay and get a used PCM with the correct part # for your truck, send that one out to be unlocked (this is what I did).

Them pic a tuner / software (diablo vs. HP), Hemi Fever, Jay Greene, Flyin Ryan, etc.

2 of these guy have cams available that I know of.

To get the most our of a cam you should be looking at LT headers so the truck can breath right with the new cam.

Last thing, depedning on the cam you may need a different torque converter as well.

You are looking at approx. $5,000 to do it right, not including a new converter.
Is it possible to use an unlocked PCM with both brands of tuners on one PCM?

I then plan on adding a small cam (Just want the Lumpy sound I miss). This truck is my summer daily driver and for a 2016 it only has 28k kms or

Also I'd like to push the rpm a couple hundred on shifts, and set the temp for electric fan to 190°.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat