ecodiesel problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxracer330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I have a 2015 ecodiesel and I've been hearing of some problems with the motor. I am just wondering if any one on here had any problems and if so what they are and how many miles

thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Keep in mind most people post on forums when they have problems and not when everything is fine.
There is another Ram forum specific for the 1500 Diesel that I know of at least 20 trucks in excess of 100K miles trouble free.
Your probably going to get bombarded with guys saying that EcoDs are problem prone and garbage on this forum...

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The only semi-"common" EcoDiesel problems I've read about are with the emissions system (DEF system), which seems to be the achilles heel (if there is one) of any non-commerical diesel truck now-a-days. Most that I read about are trouble free.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The only semi-"common" EcoDiesel problems I've read about are with the emissions system (DEF system), which seems to be the achilles heel (if there is one) of any non-commerical diesel truck now-a-days. Most that I read about are trouble free.

Commercial details have the issue too. DEF systems are a headache. Maybe someone could produce a Volkswagen tool that would make it work better without mods :)

OP
OP
M

mxracer330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
i don't have a problem with my def just fill it every 10,000 with the oil change i do a lot of long drives so i should have any prob with it but its going be removed once warranty goes out

OP
OP
M

mxracer330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
i and a semi before loved it never had a problem but this new ecodiesel if the way to go if you not worried about speed 24-26 mpg around town and 22mpg on the interstate doing 75-80 the hold time and then 14-16mpg pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer at 75-80 mph

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are about 10 Ecodiesels approaching or are past the 200k mile marker and still going strong, most of these tow at least 50% of the time.

There seemed to be a batch of late 2014 early 2015 models that were loosing the bottom end. The problem was rumored to be from the ramp up of production and a problem with grinding the new crank shafts or improperly torqued cap bolts for the crank shafts. No official word on it though.

As said it is more with the diesel emissions you see problems, but most of the major problems seem to have been ironed out with it. Actually all the big three diesels are going through the teething phase with the new emissions.

Check some forums for the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.