Ecodiesel sled deck and 2 place trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
I posted this question on another section of the forum but have not received any response. Probably better here.
I am eventually looking to purchase the Ecodiesel. My question is this,
I have thought about getting a sled deck to fit on the bed for 2 sleds and my 2 place trailer, but that might overload the payload?

Anyone have any idea what the payload would be on a Big Horn CC EcoDiesel W/ air suspension, do you think it wold be fine hauling 2 sleds in the trailer and 2 sleds on the sled deck?
I would think with 2 sleds on the deck including deck would be around 1000lb. The trailer itself would be around 1900lb (Tongue weight @ 15% = 285lb). Then with 4 guys and equipment I would gather an extra 850 lbs.
So total that up and payload would be roughly = 2135lb
I would think even at RAM's Max payload they must have a buffer for error on the weight. Any thoughts?

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
It would be over payload and also make your rear end squat like crazy.. Sounds like you are better off getting a 4 spot trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
It would be over payload and also make your rear end squat like crazy.. Sounds like you are better off getting a 4 spot trailer

I thought about the 4 place trailer but the areas I sled the smaller the trailer the better.
You don't think with the self leveling air suspension it would minimize the sag?

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I thought about the 4 place trailer but the areas I sled the smaller the trailer the better.

You don't think with the self leveling air suspension it would minimize the sag?

It would probably minimize the sag, yes, but it's still far over payload.. If you weren't also towing a trailer id say give it a shot but the combination will be tough on the truck in my opinion

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I have read that the air suspension has a built in fail safe. If you are over weight (or over a certain weight?) it will shut itself down or deactivate to prevent the system from overheating. Sounds like you are better off with a standard coil suspension with bags or some other helper- or a 3/4 ton. FWIW, I am not opposed to going over payload a bit from time to time, but I have a feeling you would be WAY over just from what I have seen of the anemic payload the 1500's have- with a substantial amount of that sitting right on your rear axle. I am over by 3-400 (maybe 500?) with my trailer hitched and that's about as far as I would push that margin comfortably, but it's not all over one axle. Does the big horn trim have a decent payload? I'm not certain- the Laramie I have is around 1000lbs.

Last edited:

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Get a 2500, or a bigger trailer. I wouldn't do it.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing that some fully decked out Rams have a payload of only 950 lbs, it would matter what options you added to it. Every pound of option takes away a pound of payload.

My 2009, 4x4, CC, Big Horn Is fairly well equipped and it has a payload of 1,436 lbs. So if you are careful your idea would probably work.

Rambox, air supension, sun roof, 6.5" bed (I don't have these) can add up, so see what you need and don't need, try to find a knowledgeable salesman and see what would work.

It is the old axiom, you run out of payload before you hit your towing limit.

One other thought, put as much equipment as you can on your trailer to cut down on your payload.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
Thanks for the info guys. I figured it would be over. Good point about throwing gear in the trailer. Maybe I'll just stick to the trailer and throw one sled in the bed and scrap the idea of a sled deck... I wouldn't be towing that set up enough to justify the expense of a 2500 HD.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Per the owners manual, the payload on mine is 1610.....so you'd be over by a good amount no matter what year it is

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the info guys. I figured it would be over. Good point about throwing gear in the trailer. Maybe I'll just stick to the trailer and throw one sled in the bed and scrap the idea of a sled deck... I wouldn't be towing that set up enough to justify the expense of a 2500 HD.

If you are looking at the Ecodiesel, I have a hard time believing the cost difference between that and a 2500 5.7l is going to be very wide. I mean, depends on the options and packages of course, but it can't be 'THAT' much more. ??

The 5.7l HEMI in the 2500 would be more than sufficient to pull your sleds, do the bed rack thing or get a 4 place trailer. And, it would do it without much drama at all.

White-knuckling it for several hours just isn't fun or worth it.

OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
If you are looking at the Ecodiesel, I have a hard time believing the cost difference between that and a 2500 5.7l is going to be very wide. I mean, depends on the options and packages of course, but it can't be 'THAT' much more. ??

The 5.7l HEMI in the 2500 would be more than sufficient to pull your sleds, do the bed rack thing or get a 4 place trailer. And, it would do it without much drama at all.

White-knuckling it for several hours just isn't fun or worth it.

Good point, however the 2500 weighs more and as a daily driver, there goes the gas mileage down the crapper!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Another thing you could do which won't help with legal load is go with coil suspension only and then upgrade the rear coils and put in bags. I am sure it would still sag a little but for a short trip might work. I guess if it were me I would not do it and go with the larger trailer despite being bigger than you like. It is much safer.