Edge Pulsar up indates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah 50 bucks seems real high for that, I keep reading on this product thinking they are going in the right direction that I might buy on instead of getting a custom tune and then they do stuff like that.

OP
OP
Georgiasport

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plus other than the tire size speedo adjustment and power level setting display relocation, the only other update was the axle ratio. How many of us go and change that? Probably not a whole bunch.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah 50 bucks seems real high for that, I keep reading on this product thinking they are going in the right direction that I might buy on instead of getting a custom tune and then they do stuff like that.

Same here, i was waiting to see how this played out but looks like I’ll be going the diablo sport route.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep that's pretty greedy, but unfortunately as long as people are willing to pay it they're going to keep charging it....

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, too greedy I'm thinking.
No way for me as im not changing tires or gears(yet) and dont need the display! Looks like I will spend the dollars for a custom tune in the future unless Edge changes the parameters of the update ability

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I tried a Pulsar on my 2015 when they first came out just so that I could have a first hand comparison to the custom tuning that I am currently running. It felt comparable to the standard 89 octane tuning , but with a slightly more aggressive throttle. I run a Pedal Commander on top of the custom tuning though, so that combo of the custom tune with Pedal Commander walked circles around what the Pulsar offered in power, responsiveness, and shift on the fly adjustability.

I can definitely see the appeal for the 2018-2019 guys that dont have actual tuning options yet, but for the 2015-2017 trucks, getting an actual diablo tuner with custom tune is by far the better way to go.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried a Pulsar on my 2015 when they first came out just so that I could have a first hand comparison to the custom tuning that I am currently running. It felt comparable to the standard 89 octane tuning , but with a slightly more aggressive throttle. I run a Pedal Commander on top of the custom tuning though, so that combo of the custom tune with Pedal Commander walked circles around what the Pulsar offered in power, responsiveness, and shift on the fly adjustability.

I can definitely see the appeal for the 2018-2019 guys that dont have actual tuning options yet, but for the 2015-2017 trucks, getting an actual diablo tuner with custom tune is by far the better way to go.
And unfortunately for most of us, more than twice the price if you want the spare pcm to cover warranty swap and a custom tune....sigh...….

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
And unfortunately for most of us, more than twice the price if you want the spare pcm to cover warranty swap and a custom tune....sigh...….
That is true. Twice the price, but also twice the gain...and room to grow if you add more mods in the future.

BTW, I spoke to Diablo again this morning, and 2018 Ram tuning is right around the corner. Said they are just waiting on the unlock cables to come in, so that is exciting news.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya Matt, so your saying just the seat of the pants feel with the Diablo, custom tune, and PC is roughly twice that of the Pulsar with
equivalent mods??

Edgey 42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
So with the Pulsar Update Cable, there is more to that in the future with potential custom tuning. But in order to update in the field, this cable is required. You can call 888-360-3343 and send the Pulsar in for a free update vs buying the cable.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I hear ya Matt, so your saying just the seat of the pants feel with the Diablo, custom tune, and PC is roughly twice that of the Pulsar with
equivalent mods??
Correct. Pulsar felt very similar to the 89 Octane Diablo tune, but with a little better throttle response. 93 Octane Custom tune with the Pedal Commander makes the Pulsar feel stock.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Great info, thanks for simplifying my decision.

Meedom-you can buy an ECM off eBay for about 150 so really not that big of a price difference between them.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info, thanks for simplifying my decision.

Meedom-you can buy an ECM off eBay for about 150 so really not that big of a price difference between them.
Good to know, thank you sir!

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

i've heard of problems with the non display version of diablo's tuner, i think it's the i3. i've always been told to go trinity or don't at all.

i'm not in a massive rush to get a pcm tune on my truck, but i will be doing it one day. the pulsar holds me over until i can muster the courage to spend that much for a pcm, a custom tune, and the trinity. if the i3 doesn't have problems, that significantly lowers my cost of entry

i'll tune one day and just give the pulsar to my dad. he'll never tune his 18 rebel, and pulsar will be perfect for what he needs.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. Pulsar felt very similar to the 89 Octane Diablo tune, but with a little better throttle response. 93 Octane Custom tune with the Pedal Commander makes the Pulsar feel stock.
Thank you for your honest input sir. Do you have any tips or advice for removing the PCM connectors that it seems like a lot of guys are breaking when removing??

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What’s the benefit in being able to change rear gear ratio on the dash if the speed is calibrated by the tires?

Last edited: