Educate Me on Drops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm 50 years old. I've owned a few SUVs, but mostly cars my whole life. Last fall, I bought my very first truck, a 2015 Ram 1500 Express 4x4.

I'm in love with it. I can't believe I waited this long to buy a truck.

I know nothing about lowering my truck, but I've seen people talking about 4/6 drops, etc... Can someone please educate me on the subject?

• Are there different methods to lowering your truck, and what are they?
  • Do the fractions like 4/6 refer to the number of inches you're dropping, front versus back?
  • Are there considerations that need to be made with 4x4s versus 2WD?
  • How low is too low in a place where we frequently get a LOT of snow?
  • What else do I need to know?
Thanks for your help, homies.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Depends
5) Not much

My advice is this. I put a 2" drop in the rear only, thinking it would be enough. $3000 later, I'm at a 3/4 drop.
Which brings me to my 2nd piece of advice. Do it once, and be done with it. Look at a few pictures and decide which is right for you, and then go with it.
And finally, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Don't buy the cheapest, You will regret it in the end.

You're welcome. :D

P.S. - Check out those HOT white Core 4X4 control arms. :)

RamRightFront.jpg

OP
OP
BobSacomano

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Depends
5) Not much

My advice is this. I put a 2" drop in the rear only, thinking it would be enough. $3000 later, I'm at a 3/4 drop.
Which brings me to my 2nd piece of advice. Do it once, and be done with it. Look at a few pictures and decide which is right for you, and then go with it.
And finally, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Don't buy the cheapest, You will regret it in the end.

You're welcome. :D

View attachment 203811

Thank you. And congratulations on your 2000th post. ;)

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Booms summed it up nicely, I will agree if you are keeping stock sized wheels and tires then the 2” drop looks good and is functional and cheap. You just need spring for a couple hundred bucks.

If you go to bigger rims and lower profile. The 2” drop isn’t enough and it looks goofy like mine is right now. Here’s a 2” rear drop with stocks and then 24” rims on a 4x4
Sorry it’s just a random number post for me. 1000 is coming up soon (as is my 1 year Ramforum anniversary!!)

0359866B-C484-4234-BC32-3D8E4505DC1F.jpeg

F4227E5A-CF64-4FDE-A2A2-0FEA4DFB4FE9.jpeg

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T

View attachment 203811

What did you do to get a 3" drop up front?

White Hot! control arms

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm 50 years old. I've owned a few SUVs, but mostly cars my whole life. Last fall, I bought my very first truck, a 2015 Ram 1500 Express 4x4.

I'm in love with it. I can't believe I waited this long to buy a truck.

I know nothing about lowering my truck, but I've seen people talking about 4/6 drops, etc... Can someone please educate me on the subject?

• Are there different methods to lowering your truck, and what are they?
  • Do the fractions like 4/6 refer to the number of inches you're dropping, front versus back?
  • Are there considerations that need to be made with 4x4s versus 2WD?
  • How low is too low in a place where we frequently get a LOT of snow?
  • What else do I need to know?
Thanks for your help, homies.

I wouldn't go much lower then 2" on the front if you live where you get a fair bit of snow,the truck will turn into a snow plow,plus your CV's live expectancy will shorten the lower you go on a 4X4.Also if you go to a 4" front drop,the CV's will run in a constant bind and will start costing you milege besides having a shorter life expectancy.A 2" front drop and a 4" rear drop is the maxinium i'd go on a 4X4 that still needs to be used as a 4X4 in the winter