Electronic Power Steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The eps system in my 2014 ram 1500 sport is acting up again. I already replaced the rack and it was working fine for awhile but now it's starting to tighten up again. It gets hard to steer at higher speeds and even when just going about 25 it's hard to steer to the right. Almost feels like something is binding up but when I put it on the lift and had someone turn the wheel I couldnt really see anything binding and it worked like it should. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I'm not to familiar with this eps system.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you have the dealer install the rack or do it yourself.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had mine replaced twice when the truck was still stock........the first “new one” was bad so it got replaced but mine had an audible clunck in the column but worked fine.

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had the dealer install it and also this is the second rack that has failed. They replaced it back in February.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sux, but they need to fix it again.

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm probably going to take it to a different dealer. The part has a 2 year warranty on it and the dealer just seems to want to keep replacing the part instead of actually figuring out what is wrong.

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So took the truck to another dealership today and they checked it out. The dealership told me that they found nothing wrong with the vehicle and that the eps acts like that from time to time and will go back to normal. When I got the truck home I put it on a jack and decided to check it out myself. When I checked the hubs, the right side hub was perfect, but the left side has a good amount of play when I moved the tire. I checked to make sure it wasn't any of the ball joints or tie rod ends. I'm thinking that the left side hub has something to do with the eps having a problem. Im going to replace it and than go from there.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please let us know how it goes....

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've seen a thread here on this where multiple trucks had bad u-joint coupling in the steering column

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to check out that u-joint coupling too. That would explain why the racks will last for a few weeks and than just fail.

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update. I got the New hub and the u-joint coupling will be here tomorrow. I'm going to replace both since I will be right there doing the hub. I'm done with the dealers and will fix my own truck. This will all happen on sunday since that is the only day I will have a chance to do it. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have the correct part? I believe the u-joint they referenced in the thread I mentioned was in the steering column between the steering wheel and the electric rack & pinion which should be a small 2" or so u-joint. What hub / u-joint are you talking?

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the hub is my LF wheel hub, and yea the u-joint is the the one between the rack and the steering shaft

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wanted to give you guys an update. I got the hub done on the truck and that old hub was in bad shape. I also replaced that u-joint between the column and the rack. I happy to say that my truck is back to how it should be. That u-joint wasn't hard to replace. Took me all of 20 min. to do. I think it is sad though that it took me having to diag. and repair the truck and the delearship wanted to keep insisting that it was the tires on my truck that was causing the issue. So for anybody that starts running into this issue, I would highly recommend looking at that u-joint and if you take it to a dealer make sure they look at that u-joint before they go telling you your truck needs a whole new rack.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to give you guys an update. I got the hub done on the truck and that old hub was in bad shape. I also replaced that u-joint between the column and the rack. I happy to say that my truck is back to how it should be. That u-joint wasn't hard to replace. Took me all of 20 min. to do. I think it is sad though that it took me having to diag. and repair the truck and the delearship wanted to keep insisting that it was the tires on my truck that was causing the issue. So for anybody that starts running into this issue, I would highly recommend looking at that u-joint and if you take it to a dealer make sure they look at that u-joint before they go telling you your truck needs a whole new rack.

I’m glad you got it fixed

Could you post some part numbers or link please?

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The part number that is listed on the part and the package is 55057335AB, for that U-joint part and that is a oem part from mopar. I went to a dealer and ordered the part.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Glad that the fix worked. Sounds like time for a beer or 2