Eletric OEM trailer brake control.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Durango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Ram 3500 and when I tow my camper 18,000 lbs with the brake setting on 10. I only get 6 volts to my trailer wheels. I have spoke with E brakes they said I should get at least 10 volts. I think the controller is not putting out enough when hooked up to trailer. Any help?

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
OP
OP
D

Durango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am using heavy eletric setting should be getting 11volts or more. I took the camper to the dealer thinking it was the camper but they could not find anything wrong with it. I ask them to hook a different truck up to it with me standing there and sad to say they brought over a GMC hook up to my camper and I tested it myself it was 11.1 volts.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The less than 30MPH and >30MPH PWM voltages are different, at least a few years ago.
Couple of images from another thread a couple of years ago.
"2015 ITBM's output with the gain set to 10 and the manual slider all the way to cause 100% brake input with a travel speed under 30 MPH"
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y346/Bob_Walchli/ITBM Scope shots/scope_zpsul3imtjn.jpg
"2015 ITBM's output with the gain set to 10 and the manual slider all the way to cause 100% brake input with a travel speed over 30 MPH"
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y346/Bob_Walchli/ITBM Scope shots/100 percent_zpscurxhkdl.jpg

OP
OP
D

Durango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took it back to dealer they put in a new brake controller. Same problem only 6.2 volts at settings heavy eletric and max 10v100%. There is got to be a fix please. To spend this kind of money and not to be able to tow my camper real sucks.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Durango, I agree with you. The ITBM leaves a bit to be desired. I was able the get the programming updated for my '15 but it was not easy to convince the dealer. It made a bit of difference but not like my old Prodigy. I am currently (as of last trip, last year) trying out the electric over hydraulic setting but not enough experience to note any improvement.
It would be nice to have a signal conditioner that could increase the PWM output by a set value and still allow the controller to do its job. It could be mounted in the trailer. If the EOH setting does not work out there will be more research for a "magic box".

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
As far as I always heard it was speed dependant on voltage. I don't trust dealers testing, I installed a oem trailer brake controller, service manager said, your good to go, is working great. Go out to truck, no brake controller on evic. I go back and they say, that's how 2013 are. So I go home, controller not working or showing on evic. I go back, 3 times, then they get it on evic, so finally working. I get home, notice it's not in my 8.4 radio settings so I stuck a memory stick with software update I had used a few weeks back, it found I had added trailer brake without even promoting me to update, it updated just that one item. If they test at the dealer I would think they would have to test at low speed and over 30 or if getting big volts at lower speeds will jerk you to a stop and be bad. I had a aftermarket in before the OEM, it was good too.