Emergency brake cable hanging down...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just noticed its hanging down considerably, any idea why that would happen?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is a lever at the wheel end of the cable. When you apply the emergency brake, the cable pulls the lever, which engages the brake shoes. The lever gets stuck, doesn't move back, and the cable sags. I have had good luck with some penetrating oil and a screwdriver. Spray the pivot point, work the lever back and forth a bit until it frees up. For me, it works for a year or more.

Do both sides.

Once in a while, I engage - release, back and forth 6 - 8 times in a row to keep everything moving, seems to help it keep from getting stuck.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The E-Brake (emergency brake ) Cable hanging is most likely because the ratchet that cable attaches to at brake assembly that activates the emergency brakes is seized ! put truck in park turn off engine chock the wheels ! go under truck at rear wheels th where the cables attach the the leaver and tap them back to the off position on both sides ! once the cable has gotten back to where it should be do not use parking brakes till you do a brake job complete and replace leavers! google rear parking brakes on youtube ! part is cheap i had to replace mine ! I had all the parts planning on doing all 4 wheels brakes a week before i planned on doing them my parking brake cable stopped retracting in to place these leavers seized up so just went under tapped them back in place and then did brakes a week later 1707848822242.png1707848822242.png1707848822242.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
raggdoll

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just bought this 2021 Ram Classic (used) from a dealer 3 weeks ago. Reached out to them and got an appt set for them to fix it

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine was hanging because I hit something in the road and it snapped off the lever that the cable attaches to. $300 to replace...eh, I never use it anyway, not worth it. Just tucked it up out of the way.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Yep, mine were doing that when I bought it. I freed them up and just haven't used the parking brake since, but I will fix it eventually. As stated above, that lever is what freezes and a little maintenance every so often will go a long way

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you live in the snow/salt belt regions best to NEVER use your emergency brake.

Or use it almost every day (keep it 'free').

One or the other.

OP
OP
raggdoll

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep, mine were doing that when I bought it. I freed them up and just haven't used the parking brake since, but I will fix it eventually. As stated above, that lever is what freezes and a little maintenance every so often will go a long way
Once its fixed I will use it and lube it regularly (now that I know)

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has been sagging also. Rear brakes coming soon. I'll have to take a look then.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you live in the snow/salt belt regions best to NEVER use your emergency brake.

Or use it almost every day (keep it 'free').

One or the other.
Yep. Best advice you'll ever hear. That's the way it's done in the northeast. Those that don't, but brake repairs.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 106202 miles.

OP
OP
raggdoll

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dealer fixed it today. Bonus as they also gave me copies of all the service records on this truck since new (I asked for them, bought this truck used at this dealer who did all the service to it and wanted copies for my files)

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How did they fix? You being north of Toronto, road salt is the enemy and just spraying WD40 where the cable enters the insulation wrap won't last. I have tried penetration oil, other things, they always jam back up. Gotta' replace the whole cable and keep using it.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone know of the parking brake itself adjusting?
Hopefully when it warms up, I'll crawl under and spray the parking brake lever to free it up.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Same issue happened to both my 2017 and 2019 1500 classics, and quickly too. Like after 2 rust belt winters. I've got threads floating around here on how I fixed mine.

The problem in the people's republic of NY is, you need a working parking brake to pass your yearly state inspection, so "never use it" is not an option.

The Ram dealer fix for this is entire new backing plate assemblies that requires removed of the rear axles. It's probably a $1500 dealer repair today.

Like said above, start by trying to tap the levers that protrude through the backing plates rearwards to take the slack out of the cables. These levers are spring loaded and should force themselves rearward. You then need to pull the rear rotors to gain access to the whole cam mechanism to free it up and apply an anti seize product. You cannot totally fix this problem by trying to spray penetrating lube from the outside. Getting in there and lubing up the innards will keep it working forever, or at least between brake jobs.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t get out of my my truck without using the e brake. So far 0 issues.

I've been using this practice now for bout a year for some mental reason...prolly the shift interlock recall thing that they changed..peace of mind I guess.
If truck is running and i get out brake goes on.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine seized up after a couple of winters too.

I pulled off the rear rotors and soaked everything down but the E-brake pads with Fluid Film and got everything moving again.

That was a few years ago and it still works when I need it.

OP
OP
raggdoll

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How did they fix? You being north of Toronto, road salt is the enemy and just spraying WD40 where the cable enters the insulation wrap won't last. I have tried penetration oil, other things, they always jam back up. Gotta' replace the whole cable and keep using it.
Not sure, the rear brakes were done on this truck during the certification when I bought it a month ago. So in my mind it should have all been lubed then. Obviously it wasn't as after 3 weeks I could see the cable quite noticeably hanging down.

The truck only had 56,000km on it when I bought it, and I wonder why it had the rear rotors and pads done in the first place, a little early I would think?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure, the rear brakes were done on this truck during the certification when I bought it a month ago. So in my mind it should have all been lubed then. Obviously it wasn't as after 3 weeks I could see the cable quite noticeably hanging down.

The truck only had 56,000km on it when I bought it, and I wonder why it had the rear rotors and pads done in the first place, a little early I would think?
Assumption is the cable was just sprayed. Seen it before, unfortunately too many times. Need to replace all the parts associated with it to be sure it will function properly and not leave you hanging at the worst time. No pun intended in the hanging. Could be a bit expensive but well worth it, not a area to go cheap on. Good luck