Emergency tool kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m look at a cross country trip where I’ll be several months before returning, with my 2005 1500 with the 5.7 engine. Looking to put together an emergency toolkit got a socket set then adding adjustable wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers. Don’t want to take my full wrench set ,just a handful, what are the most common sizes I should take. Any other must haves?

Thanks,

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Personally, if going for that long I would take the standard sizes for both SAE and metric because you just never know if something was replaced with a metric size. For the minimal amount of space they would take up, think it is worth it. Of course you could just take SAE and then get metric if needed. Would take full set from 1/4 to 11/16, seems my most common ones used are 5/16, 1/2, and 9/16. Metric is 10, 12, 14. Duct tape and a roll of wire also in my truck all the time. Also recommend set of torx bits.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aren't Chrysler products all metric? I've mostly only done suspension work but I've never needed an SAE wrench on any of my rams.

OP, highly recommend this cheap wrench set off amazon. I use it more then any of my expensive racheting wrench sets, because its easy to grab from the toolbox and take to whatever I'm working on, and it always has the size I need. The fabric storage pouch thing is surprisingly quick and easy to remove and replace the wrenches and takes up much less space when folded or rolled up.

OP
OP
A

Alan Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trim67j good call on the torx bits. I looked at a little kit I have and skipped it but not like it takes that much room.

Mrack for the price that’s probably worth it actually. Just didn’t feel like packing up my full set of good wrench’s but better safe than sorry.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2003 had both SAE and metric, depending on what I was working on.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My main go to tools are
Cordless impact wrench, tire inflator, light in one bag.
Complete socket set, all wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchets, 18" galvanized pipe as breaker bar, voltmeter, etc in another bag. Large sockets if towing the boat.
Oh and a bottle jack with carbon fiber plate to put on the ground under the jack.
Lol covers most issues if needed.

Packing them up later this month for a trip across most of the country.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most mopars are 8, 10, 13, 15, 18 mm and 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4

Though some interchange for ex. 8mm=5/16, 11mm=7/16, 13mm=1/2, 14mm=9/16 - all approximations and will often (but not always work) for ex. the metric is usually just a hair larger than the SAE and the SAE won't fit all of the metric.

I also carry a 23 mm socket for any swelled lug nut caps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alan Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pacofortacos perfect. I figured socket set will work for most then most common wrench plus and adjustable for everything else.

I replaced the OEM lug nuts long ago. Hated those things.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
22 MM Oversize 6 point for lugs. Suggest 1/2" drive, not 3/8". Also, long handle breaker bar (for lugs, proper size ie., 1/2 or 3/8), and if I were U I would carry a torque wrench also or one of the kits that has an adapter that reads out ft lbs and a tube of like form a gasket in the box. ALSO, when I do a trip I carry a 3 ton jack/jack stand unit, not wanna rely on POS scissors jack.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything on RAMs is metric: 7, 8, 10, 13, 15, 19 or 21 or 22 for wheel lugs (mine are 19mm. But other trucks have different sizes depending on model - so take the one that fits your lugs.) Get a BREAKER BAR: NO IFs, ANDs, or BUTs! I have run into multiple situations where a nut either got corroded enough to be frozen on or where some JA over-torqued my lug nuts during the last tire change and couldn't break them free with conventional ratchet! Also, get a torque wrench capable of 25-180 ft. lbs. I personally have one that can torque from 0-250 ft. lbs. Good set of ratchets and adapters that allow you to size up or down from 1/4 <--> 3/8 <--> 1/2 ratchet sizes. Have at least two sockets in each of the metric sizes above. Have at least one extension in 3", one in 5" or 6". Have #1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers - both in standard length and stubby lengths. At least one large and one small adjustable wrench. A proper jack, and also a set of jack stands, plus at least one wheel chock (two is better!) A set of torx and a set of hex wrenches in metric. If you bought the truck used, a set of standard wrenches is a good idea, but not necessary if you bought the truck new. Lastly, put a set of road flares, HEAVY duty jumper cables or optionally an emergency jump box (make sure it's charged), spare headlight/taillight bulbs (or two) - if they're not LED types, a quart of oil, and gallon of 50/50 coolant. Throw in a high-powered flashlight and strobe, plus a SHARP good quality utility knife with a locking or fixed blade (3" is fine and should be legal in all states - but I can't swear to that - so look up laws on knives in the states you'll be visiting). Add some duct/duck/100 mph tape into the kit, and some electrical tape, a tire patch kit, and you should be good to go.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ran across a very well stocked tool bag at Lowes on clearance a while back and it has both SAE and metric tools (full sets of sockets, wrenches, adjustables, pliers, allens, etc...) for about $75.

I haven't found that I've been missing any tools from it, but I did also add a spare cordless impact and drill (with spare batteries and a charger), along with a hefty set of jumper cables and an assortment of fuses, butt splices, some small rolls of wire, an assortment of zip ties and bungees, electrical tape, hose clamps, a portable air compressor, a rechargeable flashlight, etc... I also tossed in my larger breaker bar just in case my small impact won't break a lug loose. I also keep one jug of Mopar 50/50 premix behind the seat just in case.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Milwaukee M18 Tire inflator
Milwaukee 1/2 impact
Milwaukee Chainsaw
Full Socket set with axle nut
Tire Plugs
Tire Jack
Full Size spare
Headlight
NOCO battery Pack
Oils
Axe
Shotgun
Paracord
Zip Ties
Good jack
Recovery Gear for winch
Fuses
Leatherman

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
AAA card Cellular phone
One of each micro buss fuses but two or three 20amp and 10amp
Hydraulic jack , 3/4” plywood base (10”x10”), utility wire 14 to 16 gauge.
1/2” breaker bar = (18” length minimum)
Key for locking lug nuts , socket for lug nuts 1/2”
8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 18mm sockets in 3/8 or 1/2”
3/8 ratchet (3/8” electric impact optional)
Adapters for 3/8 to 1/2 sockets
4”x 4” x 12’ post cut into four 3’ lengths (cribbing)
18” zip ties, duct tape
Tire plug/ patch kit
Safety glasses with reader lenses
Head lamp (rechargeable or with spare batteries)
Jumper cables 6’ to 8 ‘
Shovel
3 gallons of H2o
Spare radiator hoses
Utility knife
Narrow nose vice grip pliers, small and medium
Hex head vice grip pliers , small , medium , large
Spare serpentine belt
Coveralls, gloves, plastic bags.
5 or 10 shop towels
Stick grease
Wd40 or equivalent / white lithium
GRSM / HAM radio with charger and or spare batteries

If you’re traveling to Mexico fishing poles and reels basically any fishing equipment is useful for bartering.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One other thing that many people overlook, I also carry a blanket or 2, case of water, extra food.

That all came in handy as we sat in a traffic jam on the way up to the Eisenhower Tunnel in a snow storm :) Not a remote location or by ourselves at that point, but it made for a comfortable wait. lol

Often I even carry a 5 gallon can of gas (filled with 4 gallon), just in case, there are still some remote areas of the country and some areas close down really early, esp. in the off season.