Enable ESC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPORTRAM17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 1500 Sport regular cab short box. I don't think the ESC is working. Traction control seems to be ok, as it kicks in when leaving a stop sign, it was a little icy this morning. But I "whipped a donut" in a parking lot and was able to do it no problem. This is my second 2017 Sport, the 1st one was a crew cab short box, and that one wouldn't even let me start a donut. So how do I know if ESC is enabled or even present on my current Sport? Thanks.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 1500 Sport regular cab short box. I don't think the ESC is working. Traction control seems to be ok, as it kicks in when leaving a stop sign, it was a little icy this morning. But I "whipped a donut" in a parking lot and was able to do it no problem. This is my second 2017 Sport, the 1st one was a crew cab short box, and that one wouldn't even let me start a donut. So how do I know if ESC is enabled or even present on my current Sport? Thanks.

The search utility in the upper right side of this page is your friend too. :cool:

There is an abundance of information on the ESC and LSD features on our trucks and how to enable or disable them.

With a 4x4, place it in 4wd and hold the ESC button for about 10 seconds until it beeps and the EVIC will display the following;

ESC off.jpg

Chances are, the truck will display a DTC if the ASC is not working correctly.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My little rcsb will do a donut anytime i want it to,and the esc is working on it.I've always wondered if the rcsb's had a touch differant programming for the esc,or if it might have something to do with their short wheelbase.I don't think you have much to worry about though,have fun doing donuts :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
SPORTRAM17

SPORTRAM17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not too worried about doing donuts, I just want to make sure this thing is going to try and keep me on the road in slippery conditions. When I put in 4x4 and held the traction control button, it did say that esc was canceled or whatever, so I assume it is present and working. Might be right about the rcsb maybe having different programming. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPORTRAM17

SPORTRAM17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The search utility in the upper right side of this page is your friend too. :cool:

There is an abundance of information on the ESC and LSD features on our trucks and how to enable or disable them.

With a 4x4, place it in 4wd and hold the ESC button for about 10 seconds until it beeps and the EVIC will display the following;

View attachment 534785

Chances are, the truck will display a DTC if the ASC is not working correctly.

Yep, did the search, didn't find what I was looking for so here I am. Yes I did this after I posted and got this message so it might act different in the rcsb as mentioned below, so I will see how it goes. Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not too worried about doing donuts, I just want to make sure this thing is going to try and keep me on the road in slippery conditions.
I don't think it's up to the truck to keep you on the road in icy conditions,that's more on the driver.Once you're sliding on ice,because of excessive speed, you've already lost control and all the nanny controls in the world probably aren't going to save you

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The traction control, ABS, and ESC are all basically the same system. They are modulating the brakes, either releasing them to prevent lockup for ABS, or dragging them for traction control or ESC function. If the truck won't let you do a donut that is technically the traction control kicking in and simply not letting the tires spin. Generally ESC won't do anything unless you traveling at least a certain speed. In any case, I wouldn't be using donuts to determine if the ESC was working or not.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't think it's up to the truck to keep you on the road in icy conditions,that's more on the driver.Once you're sliding on ice,because of excessive speed, you've already lost control and all the nanny controls in the world probably aren't going to save you

Driving assists and stability aids are a crutch for poor driving? How dare you speak sure heresy.

I'm mixed on ABS as it has saved me on ice but it makes it way worse on gravel. Pavement is easy to limit yourself so I've never had it kick on there. Anything that has to do with controlling wheel spin when on the gas (ESC whether by applying brakes or limiting power) is absolute garbage. With ATVs and my first pickup not having any stability devices, I've learned to use the throttle as much if not more than the brakes to keep myself steady, so when I was whipping the wife's car around and had the ESC kick in when I needed the power, we about went in the ditch. Even when I'm not screwing around, feeling it kick in every time I hit a mud puddle gets pretty old.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Driving assists and stability aids are a crutch for poor driving? How dare you speak sure heresy.

I'm mixed on ABS as it has saved me on ice but it makes it way worse on gravel. Pavement is easy to limit yourself so I've never had it kick on there. Anything that has to do with controlling wheel spin when on the gas (ESC whether by applying brakes or limiting power) is absolute garbage. With ATVs and my first pickup not having any stability devices, I've learned to use the throttle as much if not more than the brakes to keep myself steady, so when I was whipping the wife's car around and had the ESC kick in when I needed the power, we about went in the ditch. Even when I'm not screwing around, feeling it kick in every time I hit a mud puddle gets pretty old.
I grew up long before we had nanny controls or cell phones,a couple times of digging yourself out of a snowbank / muddy ditch,or walking several miles at -30 to get a tractor,taught you how to drive "quickly",lol.
The younger generation that needs every nanny control known to man,just to get around in the winter,should have to go to a driving school,that uses an old school rear wheel drive 1/2 ton with a pegleg diff,and learn how to drive it to the conditions.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before cell phones…before leaving the house mom would always ask to make sure I had some change for a pay phone just in case

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before cell phones…before leaving the house mom would always ask to make sure I had some change for a pay phone just in case

What's a pay phone?

Just kidding. I live in a rural area where there are no fire hydrants or pay phones.

The small town nearby did have at least one or two pay phones when I arrived here in 2009 but they're long gone now.

I'm confident that the younger folks don't know what dropping a dime is all about. Then again, they were 25 cents before they disappeared.